Mile 229 George Parks High Way, Alaska, 99755, United States

Tingo.com Travelocity Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Helps to be fit and skinny

If you read my last tip, you'll know that I am not recommending Denali Cabins. If by some stroke of horrible luck, you happen to end up here, make sure you are fit and skinny, just in case you have to climb through this window and jump 4 feet down to the ground.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

A Series of Unfortunate Events

In my Warning Tips, I said do not stay at Denali Cabins at the Park entrance. Stay anywhere but here. Here's why.

The Cabins were very short staffed and in fact had fired most of their staff the week before. (Not evident until we had a series of mishaps.) When we checked in we were told to go into the dining room for an orientation and some complimentary wine. How hospitable, we thought. But after we drank our wine, we were told that the free wine was not meant for us, and they made us pay for the wine.

Ok, not so bad. Rather funny, really. But then we went back to our room to freshen up and tried to leave our room for dinner. The door knob wouldn't work and we couldn't get out. We hollered at our kids through the window to open up the door from the outside, but that didn't work either. We had to climb out the window, which had a good 4 foot drop to the ground.

More mishaps followed. During dinner, I sat on my glasses and broke them, but knew I could do a temp fix job with some scotch tape. I went to the front desk and asked to borrow a one inch piece, but was told by the desk clerk that her management did not provide her with tape. She held up an empty tape dispenser in case I should be doubting her word. She was kind enough to give me her very last paper clip and rubber band, which I used to fashion a make shift (but very unfashionable) hinge for my broken glasses.

Unique Quality: After a couple of hours, a maintenance guy came around and said the doorknob was broken but he didn't have any tools. (What kind of maintenance guy is that?) So the staff said they would move us to another room that clearly wasn't regularly used and they offered to transfer all our bags through the window. We checked out the other room and were alarmed by the condition of the space heater and the strange smell in the room. Not to mention it was 90 degrees in there. Concerned about being asphyxiated by carbon monoxide and/or roasted to death, we insisted they fix the doorknob to our first room.

Miraculously tools showed up. Doorknob was fixed. At 11:30 pm we heard voices under our bed. Somehow the maintenance guy had left his two-way radio under our bed. While it is scary enough to think even momentarily that someone is under your bed when you are your husband are in it, it was even scarier to think the maintenance guy didn't even have his radio with him for several hours.

Directions: Not going to give you directions because I don't think you should go there

Comments