433 Harold Bentley Avenue, Fairbanks, Alaska, 99701, United States
Expedia.com Priceline.com Booking.com

More about Fairbanks

East Coast swinging Saturday at the Spur.East Coast swinging Saturday at the Spur.

Larry Raines slingin' his blues axe at the Dawg.Larry Raines slingin' his blues axe at the Dawg.

The Alaska PipelineThe Alaska Pipeline

Johnny Winter came and played some bluesJohnny Winter came and played some blues

What to Wear?

by nrt1179

I will be going to Fairbanks late February, early March of '09. I know it will be really cold. I plan to buy the proper attire needed, but I am not sure what all I will need. I have heard the temps will be -30's. Is this correct? Any suggestions on how to dress for day and night? Also, I plan to stay at Chena Hot Springs Resort to try and catch the Northern Lights. Any other suggestions of "must see's" in the area?

Re: What to Wear?

by mcboonak

I live in Fairbanks. In March the daytime low is about -10F, the daily high about 18F. See http://climate.gi.alaska.edu/Climate/Fairbanks/fai_temp.jpg for a graph of annual temperatures by month. The cold is dry though, and we have little wind in the winter. The results is that it doesn't feel as cold as you might think. March days tend to be glorious, with blue skies and sun. By the 21st (the Equinox) we have roughly 12 hrs of daylight. For many Fairbanksans (including me) March is their favorite month. Conditions for Nordic skiing are perfect in March. There are two fantastic places for Nordic skiing here (the area immediately north of the main university campus, which has 20 miles of groomed ski trails, and Birch Hill, which has international caliber trails. There are places where you can rent ski equipment, and rates are reasonable. In March we have an international ice sculpture festival, sled dog racing, and wonderful aurora. There is also a wonderful culture scene here, including excellent classical music, folk music, and theater.

With respect to clothing I'd recommend a good pair of gloves and a good ski hat. Otherwise I don't dress much differently here in winter that I did when I lived in New England. If you're going to be outside for more than about a half hour I would recommend warm socks and good boots. For a longer spell (1 or more hours) I'd recommend Sorrels or similar lined boots. You can always buy gear here if you don't have it before you arrive.

There are some very good restaurants in Fairbanks. My favorite are the Silver Gulch, which is actually in Fox north of Fairbanks; Lavelle's downtown; Lemon Grass; and the Pumphouse.

Hope this helps. Fairbanks is a wonderful place and gorgeous in the winter.

Travel Tips for Fairbanks

Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis)

by sswagner

Translated to mean "Northern Dawn", the aurora borealis is most often visible on a dark clear night. Fairbanks is at an excellent latitude for seeing this amazing display. Two popular spots are the Creamer's Field just outside of town and the area around Cleary Summit, where there is a ski area and a bed and breakfast. It is definitely best to escape the city lights to see this.

The aurora varies in shape and in color. Sometimes, it is a glow while at other times it is a rapidly moving band of light. No display is ever the same. If you are in Fairbanks during winter, definitely try and see this. Usually, the late hours of the evening are the prime time. It is something you will always remember should you have the fortune of seeing it.

Also, make note of the Chena Hot Springs section of my Alaska pages. This resort also offers excellent viewing possibilities in addition to other winter activities. On the second attempt, finally seeing the Northern Lights emerge on a clear windless night.

Do the stereotypical touristy...

by BuffaloHoss

Do the stereotypical touristy stuff. You'll kick yourself if you leave without eating at the Alaska Salmon Bake, or ride the Discovery III riverboat, or drive up the Dalton Highway at least to the Yukon River if not the Arctic Circle. I don't know if this qualifies as a fond memory, but my 1998 trip with my wife to the Arctic Circle ended with an overnight stay at a truck stop because one of Alaska's 'end-of-the-road' types decided to claim an intervening stretch of highway as his personal property, with us freeloading motorists not permitted to use it. Our car was in no way suited to the rutted back trail that was the only alternative to the closed stretch of road, so we hitched a ride with some Anchorage-ites who had a Ford Explorer. That day we vowed to get a 4WD truck, and we did, the next summer -- just in time to drive it down to Georgia when my wife was transferred.

Bridge of Flags

by Stephen-KarenConn

The state flags along this bridge represent each of the 50 United States, and were presented by Festival Fairbanks 84 and the Fairbanks Downtown Association, January 3, 1984, in commemoration of 25 years of Alaska statehood. The bridge spans the Chena River and connects the north and south banks of downtown Fairbanks on Illinois Street.

Walking across this bridge reminded me of that morning when I was in the 7th grade and our teacher announced to the class that a 49th state had been added to the Union. That meant we would get a new flag with 49 stars instead of 48. It was not long after that a 50th star was added for Hawaii.

Fairbanks Tip

by angrbotha

Fairbanks is a great place. Some things that i miss the most when i am away are:
1. The Midnight Sun and the Noontime moon. Isn't it funny when people try to tell you that the position of the sun is dependent on the time of day, not time of year?
2. Knowing how warm it is by the amount of daylight. i'm just saying. it being warm and dark out at the same time is completely unnatural.
3. No Sales Tax. I don't know how lower 48ers do it. Items should be marked with how much you will end up paying. i always seem to have Exactly how much something costs, and when you suddenly add whatever percentage taxes are, it certainly messes me up.
4. The Outdoors. lots of trees and wildlife. if i look out my window and see a moose looking back, then everything is as it should be.
5. The Snow. i know it sounds crazy, but trust me. it just isn't winter until you've had a week of 50 below weather and enough snow that you can walk onto your roof from the ground.

Act selfishly, in the face of science and reason

by Cossackgrrl

This is the last frontier and all,
so make sure and truculently defend the local's inviolable right to despoil ALL resources.*

*Any attention directed to points to the contrary--however supported by trifles such as the scientific method--will be belligerently disparaged as 'lower 48 tree-hugging hippiedom'.

Try to speak over anyone still attempting to maintain a conversation with you:
be as churlish and macho as possible when relaying hunting/fishing/survival-in-the-wild
escapades
...don't let what 'really' happened get in your way!!

Comments