1850 Hoselton Drive, Fairbanks, Alaska, 99709, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 68% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• LouisianaTraveler's Profile Photo

Pikes Lodge

Neat place with rustic appearance. You'll find plenty of artwork in the halls from local artists. The prices are pretty much in line with every other hotels in town. Winter rates in 2005 were in the $79 range. Summer rates get on up there.

Has wireless internet but unless you have a room next to the lobby, you'll have to wag that laptop down to a sofa to get online.

Unique Quality: Overlooks the Chena river.

Directions: Near the airport

• alaska_storm's Profile Photo

When visiting Fairbanks one of...

When visiting Fairbanks one of the best places to stay is at Pikes Waterfront Lodge.

Unique Quality: In the winter the Chena river is so frozen, you can drive on it to Pikes.

Directions: Next to the airport in Fairbanks, and close to shopping. It's right on the Chena river.

More about Pike's Waterfront Lodge

Pikes

by MTrav about Pikes Landing

The food here is ok but nothing to rave about. However Pikes Landing has a great deck and fine summer atmosphere. As you would expect they have a landing, so you can take a boat or canoe to get there. Its right across the river and a little upstream from the Pumphouse. Also right next to Pikes lodge. I go here for lunch in the summertime.

There is also a bar and pool tables.

To book Alaska hotels ahead or not?

by klyons73

At the end of August, my husband and I are heading to the areas of Fairbanks, Anchorage and Juneau...possible a few stops along the way. We prefer the freedom of NOT booking hotels ahead, but we don't want to be homeless either! Must I book ahead, or can we wing it? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

-kl

by mcboonak

I live in Fairbanks. You should be okay because the tourist flow will be declining in late August. Still I recommend you consider calling a hotel now to get a sense of current availability for late August. There are several hotels to consider: Sophie's Station, Princess, Pikes Waterfront Lodge, SpringHill Suites, Comfort Inn, and others. I also recommend Cloudberry www.mosquitonet.com/~cloudberry/, which is a small, eclectic, and beautiful B&B in the woods. If you need any recommendations on things to do and see in Fairbanks let me know. I'll be happy to help.

by kville.mom

We visited Alaska in June and booked all of our accommodations ahead of time. We were able to extend our stay at one motel giving us some flexibility. The cost of accommodations in Alaska during the summer is very pricey and many places have no vacancies. The cruise and tour groups book the available lodging in many locations far in advance leaving few or no vacancies for other travelers. My suggestion would be to check with some places where you are planning to visit and get pricing and availability information before traveling and book ahead. If you make reservations with a chain you can always cancel with no penalties before their cancellation deadlines if your plans change.

by klyons73

Thank you to all for the helpful advice!
-klyons73

by RickinDutch

Lived in Alaska since 1979 and I always book ahead to all three towns when going there in the summer. All it took was one night in a roach motel to convince me. They keep building hotels but demand keeps growing and the price keeps rising. And they don't reward last minute walkups.

I've tried a variety of booking methods. Some friends swear by priceline.com but I don't like not knowing which hotel I'm getting before commiting. My favorite the past few years has been Expedia.com.

Fairbanks might be OK without booking. Cruise ship passengers visits are starting to slacken but still ongoing. Juneau might be alright if the legislature isn't in session again. But Anchorage I would strongly recommend booking ahead.

Comments