4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

1000 Arlberg Road, PO Box 249 (formerly Prince Hotel), Girdwood, Alaska, 99587, United States

Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Maybe Alaska's "Best" Hotel

Some people consider the Alyeska Hotel (the former Alyeska Prince Hotel closed on 1 Dec 2006) to be the best hotel in Alaska. It certainly is a beautiful facility and a spectacular location. I only stopped there to buy a cap. It was a foggy day and I could not see the tramway that goes up 2300 feet in elevation to the Seven Glaciers Restaurant.

Unique Quality: I hear the indoor pool is magnificent and has outstanding mountain views.

• Landlubber54's Profile Photo

Luxury in the Wilds of Alaska

The Alyeska touts itself as the only 4-star hotel in Alaska. After our tour through the state and our stay here, we can see why. We stayed there as part of a tour group with Holland America. The other accommodations that were part of the tour were OK, but the Alyeska was tremendous. We were there in the "summer" (August, 2005), but it is clear that this is primarily a ski resort. The restaurants are above average (although we did not eat at the 7 Glaciers at the top of the gondola run. My daughter (13 at the time) was impressed that each room had a doorbell.

Unique Quality: The indoor pool and jacuzzi are big. The pool is, technically, in a separate building, but is accessible from inside. It was very nice toward the end of our land tour.

My daughter and I took the gondola ride up to the 7 Glaciers Restaurant (though we did not eat). The view from there was spectacular.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Luxury in the Wild

Have stayed here many times over the years, attending conferences and business meetings. I always enjoy returning to what has to be one of the finest hotels in Alaska. The rooms are very comfortable with all the ammenities you expect at a four star establishment: white down duvets, great views, huge bathrooms, terry cloth robes and of course a telephone next to the toilet.
    The rooms either look out on the ski slopes or out on the Girdwood valley and the mountains and glaciers across the way. Excellent restaurants and lots of trails to walk/run on through the rain forests. A very well equiped gym and large indoor pool with huge windows to work the kinks out after a long day of meetings.
    I just returned from a conference there and they now have wi-fi in the public areas so you can update your VT pages while enjoying the ambiance of a classy place. Talking with the owner, Chris, they will be adding a full spa to the hotel in 07.
    The public areas of the hotel are laid out over three stories with cosy arrangements of sofa and chairs for quite conversation in front of the fire.

• platypusak's Profile Photo

Did I mention the view?

We love this hotel. It's close enough to home that we go there a lot to get away. We once nearly bought a vacation home in Girdwood, but after staying at the Alyeska Prince, we decided we'd rather be pampered. No taxes, no mortgage, no cleaning, great views and good food. Plus a huge pool and a hot tub with a view of the ski slope.
    The rooms are nice, lots of wood and great detail, but the hotel was built for the Japanese market, so the rooms can be on the small side. We usually upgrade to the upper floors where the rooms are a little larger. Views from both sides of the hotel are wonderful. We prefer the valley side to the mountain side, and summer or winter either is wonderful. The public areas are large and the fireplace lounge area is a great place to curl up and read. We usually go off-season. The hotel can be very busy during ski season.

Unique Quality: The views, the views. There is also a huge pool, one you can actually swim in, and a lovely hot, very hot tub with mountain views. Lot of hiking trails in the summer and the ski lift to the Alyeska slopes is right outside the hotel.

• kaloz's Profile Photo

Excellent Facilities

The resort decided to add the pool/spa area later so it is a little hard to find and requires starting your search on the wrong floor, but it is worth the effort!! The pool and whirlpool are not chlorinated!, but rather are salt water! This is less harsh on the skin and your bathing clothes. The whirlpool is spacious and offers a view of the mountain. The Sauna is always hot, not like some hotel saunas which are on a timer and take a while to warm up. There is even a skate rental if you wish to try the frozen pond just outside the door.

Unique Quality: The best feature of the pool/spa area is the salt water in both the pool and the whirlpool. I spent too much time in this part of the resort, going between each outdoor activity: Check in, Spa; scope out the town, spa; go up on the mountain, spa; go out to diner; spa.

They also boot out the kids at 10:pm so the adults can enjoy some time away from the noise, in a relaxing atmosphere.

Just be careful you don't over do it!

Directions: Start on the third floor, turn left at the polar bear, go as far as you can, down a flight of stairs, and hang a right.

• kaloz's Profile Photo

The only Hotel in the Area

Having visited Girdwood in August and anxious not to spend the weekend in Anchorage, I jumped on the Seward Highway and 40 miles later was in Girdwood. I chose to stay at the Alyeska Prince Hotel to give the luxury travellers view. The place is not cheap! Located at the base of Mt Alyeska, with services upward, this is the place for snow boarders and skiers. The rooms are well appointed and spacious, but who wants to stay in the room when there is a mountain just outside!!

Unique Quality: The best feature of the room was a towel heater in the bathroom. I found it very useful for drying my bathing suit after a visit to the pool/whirlpool area.

Other features include a robe (not as nice as the Captain Cook in Anchorage) and slippers, and an in-room safe for your jewels (like I have any).

Directions: At the base of Mt Alyeska.

More about Hotel Alyeska

Alyeska Prince Hotel

by KyleeAK about Alyeska Prince Hotel

$145-$200 This is a beautiful hotel nestled right at the bottom of Alaska's largest ski resort. We visit the Alyeska Prince 2 week-ends a year for family get-aways. The rooms are great and include a mini fridge, safe, bathrobes and slippers. The staff has always been polite and accomodating. They have a nice (but cold) pool, large hot tub and excersize room. They also have a nice breakfast buffet in the main restaraunt.

Alyeska

by goingsolo about Alyeska Resort

Alyeska is one of the nicest resorts in Alaska. It is located in Girdwood, less than an hour's drive from Anchorage. In addition to being a nice hotel, there are hiking trails around the property and a gondola which takes you to near the top of the mountain and the Seven Glaciers restaurant.

Located on the edge of civilization....5 star

by Sassy417 about The Westin Alyeska Prince Hotel & Resort

Tucked away in one of nature's most perfect places is a most civilized destination-this hotel uniquely blends Alaskan warmth & hospitality with international appeal & style.
Creating a plce where charm and beauty compliment it's surroundings.
The upper half of the mountain is on Alaska Department of Natural Resources land under special permit to Alyeska Resort. Not to under-estimate the great panaramic views this hotel has to offer, there is much more inside. Fitness center inside with a huge window-side whirlpool, swimming pool, work-out room, sauna and massage therapy rooms.
also the hotel features mountain lifts all day, lift tickets may be purchased at the Daylodge ticket window inside hotel.

OMG this is the best hotel in Alaska!

by TripAdvisor Member rbwriter

As part of our tour through Alaska-awesome place, we stayed two nights at the Alyeska Resort in Girdwood. If you are going to Alaska, do not miss this hotel! The beds are awesome, the rooms incredible. We also ate at the 7 Glaciers REstaurant at the top of the tram, the food was excellent...

Alyeska HotelAlyeska Hotel

Alyeska ResortAlyeska Resort

Welcome to Alyeska ResortWelcome to Alyeska Resort

Alyeska Resort with Turnagain Arm in BackgroundAlyeska Resort with Turnagain Arm in Background

Alaska information

by alaskafun

HI
I plan to go to ALaska this summer, My husband and I plan to take a cruise of 7 night

1. I want to spend 2-3 days on land in Alaska before heading home after the cruise. I will be in Anchorage. I know ALaska is a very big state what are the few places you recommend we visit on our short trip.

THanks

RE: Alaska information

by springbreak105

Seward, Alyeska Resort, Whittier, Portage Glacier are all good day trips you can take from Anchorage.

RE: RE: Alaska information

by Roadquill

I agree that Seward is nice to visit, but check out the Seward Chamber website to avoid the times that the cruise ships stop in. Lots of places on Kenai Penninsula, maybe a drive or flight out to Homer. See if the State Fair is going on in Palmer.

RE: Alaska information

by katmai

A train trip out of Anchorage can be nice to see some true, backcountry scenery. If you have 3 days a quick one up to Denali Nat'l Park can be done. The train also travels to Seward and Whitter with beautiful views of the inlet.

If you stay in Anchorage a visit to a couple of the museums or the zoo is possible. Two museums, art/history and the Native Heritage center, give a well covered view into Alaskan way of life starting with the natives. There is an excellent variety of restuarants and art galleries in the downtown area also. Have a nice trip.

Comments