13 FORT SEWARD DRIVE, Haines, AK 99827

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Comfortable, but pretty basic

We chose to stay at Hotel Halsingland because our friends were going camping, and this place also operates an RV park, which made it very convenient for us. Perhaps the best thing about this hotel is that it's located in a historic building that was once part of the Fort Seward military complex. From the outside it's very charming, but once you walk past the lobby, It doesn't quite have the charm you would expect a Victorian inn to have. Our room was large and clean (despite the half used bottle of shampoo left in the shower), but otherwise it was pretty basic and slightly outdated. To be honest, it wasn't worth the price we paid for the room. I had a quick look at Captain's Choice Motel downtown and it looked like a much better option.

Unique Quality: I did enjoy the free coffee and pastries served in the lobby in the morning!

Directions: In the Fort Seward historic area

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

A taste of life as it used to be

Spent 3 nights at the Halsingland Hotel. Used to be the commanding officer's house. Room was comfortable and clean, although somewhat small and austere. The view down to Lynn Canal and the mountains beyond was stunning. Quiet location and yet just a five minute walk from downtown Haines. Dinner in the dining room was the best food of the trip. The bar had a nice mix of locals and travellers. After a hard day rubbing elbows with 8,000 cruise ship passengers in Skagway that Haines Amber went down real smooth! Staff and owner very friendly and accomodating.

Unique Quality: As I try and put my thumb on what appealed to me so much about the Halsingalnd I think it was the whole package. Historical building, outstanding view, fine dining and eclectric, intimate pub.

Directions: On parade ground of Fort Seward a block uphill from the water.

Comments