Healy Hotels

Our Members Say

• sue&gene profile photo sue&gene
  • Reviews: 90

Motel Nord Haven: An Inn with a touch of home

Our stay in this motel was a pleasant surprise. We chose this area to stay a bit away from the crowded entrance to Denali. We expected a standard motel but found much more. The rooms were very spacious and spotless. There was a nice centrally located sitting area and both the rooms and hallways were decorated with some very nice Alaskan art.

The owners were most friendly and accommodating. Because our tour of Denali left very early, the owner offered to have some breakfast foods ready for us long before the breakfast area should have been opened. The breakfast was very nice and was served in a brand new part of the motel that had just been opened. The website indicates the breakfast is served only in the summer months.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written September 30, 2004

From their website

• herzog63 profile photo herzog63
  • Reviews: 2254

Motel Nord Haven: Nice comfy rooms

As we grew tired from our day on the road and the lack of sleep from the night before I realized that we were'nt going to make our intended destination of Fairbanks on this night...well we could have driven on but I was unfamiliar with the roads that were quite icy and we had to pass through a very mountainous area that had steep inclines so I felt it would be safer to get a night's rest....haha I ended up staying up pretty much the whole night so I'd have say that the night's rest didn't do me much good as I spent the night outside watching the Northern Lights while my son and wife were snoozing under the sheets.....It was well worth the lack of sleep to watch one of Natures Great wonders doing it's magic in the sky!!
The Motel was a fine place to stay which seems quite new and is run by very helpful and friendly people. We were the only ones that stayed there that night which my wife thought was a little spooky on Halloween!!

No smoking allowed in the building and not even near the entrance doors! Good for non-smokers like me! The motel is located only 15 minutes from the entrance to the Denali National Park. Nord Haven is also open year round which is good for you off-season travelers....there isn't a whole lot of other places open at this time of year (October) I think we paid about $67 for the night...I had saved my reciept just so I could put the infomation here on VT but I can't find it now.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip, Adventure Travel
  • Written November 22, 2003

Motel Nord Haven

• 850prc profile photo 850prc
  • Reviews: 1195

Denali Dome House, Healy, AK: A great bed and breakfast in the shadow of Denali

** Note : This tip is from a long-ago trip to Alaska (1999). However, I have revisited this page and updated, making sure that the information is still valid. The same people run this b&b as ran it when we visited. I'm sure you'll like it. **

A large family home, the Denali Dome house (as its name suggests) is a geodesic dome house offering wonderful hospitality and outstanding views of beautiful north-central Alaska.

Very helpful and friendly hosts and a family atmosphere. Anne and Terry Miller, along with their children Edwina, Bart and Sarah, have defined a true family resting place with their Denali Dome Home. Among the more homey points about the Miller's home are:

(1) My daughter Sara enjoyed helping the owner (Terry) and his daughter (also named Sarah) chase Mooses out of the yard each morning

(2) We were told to "help ourselves" to whatever we wanted or found in the refrigerator.

(3) Terry met us each morning at breakfast and simply said "what do you want"? Among our favorites were the spicy little sausages that he called "moose nuggets". I saw the package...they were pork! He also made excellent hotcakes.

(4) In true Alaskan home tradition, everyone leaves their shoes at the door. You walk around the house in your sox.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average