Touch Of Wilderness Bed and Breakfast Inn

2.9 Mile Stampede Rd, PO Box 397, Healy, Alaska, 99743, United States

More about Healy

My daughter (R) plays with the Miller's daughterMy daughter (R) plays with the Miller's daughter

The Dome House from behindThe Dome House from behind

Backside of HealyBackside of Healy

Out of serviceOut of service

Travel Tips for Healy

Sunrise

by herzog63

There are probably some good spots to shoot sunrise from in Healy but I just chose a spot close to the motel entrance road so I wouldn't have to travel far. I was on Stampede Road just off the Parks highway when I took this shot. I wish I would have not included the lovely power lines in the photo but I did!! haha

Sorry to bore you with more Northern Lights...

by herzog63

Well as you can see from this page that we didn't spend very many daylight hours here....Our visit was mostly during the night. The Northern Lights were my highlight of the Healy portion of the trip. I'm really glad that we chose to stay in Healy because I called my friend in Fairbanks that we had planned on staying with that night and he said it was overcast and the Norhtern Lights were not visible.....It would have been nice to spend the evening chatting with them too but oh well...maybe next time....

Healy, gateway to Denali National Park

by sue&gene

We chose to spend a night in Healy because of its proximity to Denali National Park. There was a good bit of road construction at the entrance to the park and our location in Healy was much more convient. It is a small town but offers good choices in places to eat and sleep.

Healy, Alaska....gateway to Denali National Park

by pchamlis

"Denali.....the GREAT one"

The tallest mountain in North America is located within the boundaries of Denali National Park. In the early 20th century, this majestic peak was re-christened as "Mt. McKinley", after the assassination of President William McKinley.

No disrespect meant to our fallen President, but the local dialect name of Denali, meaning the "Great One" seems a better fit.

This peak has been conquered occasionally by bold climbers, but it remains, even in the 21st century, a torturous challenge to ascend. While numerous people have successfully scaled Denali, even more have died trying.

Coal - Another source of energy

by Aurora907

"The old coal tippet"

An interesting place to hike around, but be careful as this is an abandoned mine. Many areas are off limits, so please avoid those that have "WARNING" signs.

"Be aware of old equipment"

At any time, you can find old, rusted, or exposed equipment...watch where you walk. Also, there is an active 'trapline' in the area and those are marked off with orange or pink surveyors tape. Watch where you take pets if you explore near this area.

"The bridge is out..."

This bridge no longer serves a purpose, but I like the photo I took of it.

"Another photo of the broken bridge"

Again, neat area to explore...just watch your step!

"There's coal in those hills still..."

There are still coal operations going on in the area, from Usibelli Coal Mine, to the HEaly Clean Coal Project...not sure if they're one & the same.

Comments