Alaska Adventure Cabins

2525 Sterling Hwy, Homer, Alaska, 99603, United States
Alaska Adventure Cabins
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Homer

View, Russian Orthodox Church in Ninilchik, AlaskaView, Russian Orthodox Church in Ninilchik, Alaska

Seafarer's Memorial, Homer Spit, AlaskaSeafarer's Memorial, Homer Spit, Alaska

View at Homer Spit, AlaskaView at Homer Spit, Alaska

Just a few hours in Alaska and already at HomerJust a few hours in Alaska and already at Homer

by 9tigers

I know there is a state park across from homer, but the boat trip is expensive, is it worth it to go, if so, which one is more worth it.
also I noticed that the boat trip to there is not offered everyday.

any information are appreciated.
I would like to find out more informaiton about Homer hiking trails, not those super long ones, like 4-5 miles are perfect.

Daisy

Re: is it worth it to take the expensive boat to go to the other side of homer split?

by onebadcat

Besides the beach walking there are no trails near Homer that I know of. Your only choice is a boat to the national park across the bay.

Scott

by 9tigers

but is it worth it to go across to the state park? from homer?

by onebadcat

I have heard i is really beautiful but have never done it myself. You would likely have the whole park to yourselves most days and I suspect the glaciers are awesome based on the view from Homer? Guess it will depend on whether you want to spend the cash?

Scott

by homerlocal

Answer: Yes. There are several choices for getting across the bay. It may *seem* expensive, but it is definitely worth it if you want to see some real Alaska. Homer is a fun little tourist spot, but across Kachemak Bay is the way to go. Our family tries to get over to Grewink Glacier Lake each summer. We consider it inexpensive for a day trip. We've posted some photos if you want to see them. http://www.cokefamily.org/Glacier-Hike-2007/ We saw a humpback whale going over and coming back. Any of the local water taxis can help you decide which trail is the choice for you. The one you see in the pictures is Glacier Spit Trail and The Saddle Trail, with a short side trip to the tram.
Take water and some snacks. Pack out what you pack in. Take pictures and a friend.

Travel Tips for Homer

Internet Options in Homer

by AlbuqRay

It was not even close to being my favorite thing to do in Homer, but I did want to check my e-mail and save pictures to my portable hard drive. The Homer Public Library has compiled a nice list places where you can get computer and internet access. It includes the hours and capabilities available. Some places are free.

Wildlife - moose

by mht_in_la

There are lots of wildlife in Alaska. In Homer I often saw moose in and around town, and I seemed to be the only one stopped and photographed them. The locals must have seen so many of them and were hardly amazed at all.

Toilet paper and the Elephant

by kaloz

If you eat at Duncans, you might get any sort of mug for your coffee. When I saw this one, I just had to tell the story:

A local store in Anchorage won a toilet paper contest where the prize was an elephant! (I am not making this up) They thought it was a good way to start a zoo. When the elephant arrived, they sought backing for a zoo, but the people rejected the idea.

Eventually the Anchorage Zoo was started, and the Elephant did end up there. This elephant was fond of painting and could often be seen in front of her easel with a brush in her trunk. (again, I am not making this up)

Her paintings were sold at the zoo gift shop and are collectable, though I haven't checked ebay. The elephant has since passed on, but this mug is a great reminder of the folklore of Alaska.

By the way, the current elephant at the zoo also paints, and was a student of the first elephant. Finding something interesting in Duncan's to tell a story about Alaska to my friend Peggy and Diane.

They didn't believe me, and I had to show them my source material, as well as collaborate my story with other people who also knew this lore of Alaska.

For more information on Annabelle the famous painting elephant, visit this memorial page by Mrs McGee's 6th grade class of 1999-2000:

www.alaskazoo.org/willowcrest/annabelle.htm

Huh?

Huh? "?"

I was stymied at first, having never seen a sign with less information. I didn't know what it meant. Do you? This is the sign that points to an information station. So if you have questions "?" follow the arrow, or if you'd like information about the area, follow the arrow.

I thought this was pretty funny.

Homer is very Artsy

by kaloz

Homer is more than beautiful, it is also well decorated with little touches by the residents, who are very artsy. On my first visit in October of 2000, I noticed lots of galleries, and the long winters are a good time to work on your masterpieces.

Keep your eyes open for the nice little touches that add to the charm of Homer.

Comments