Maria's Majestic View Bed & Breakfast

1660 Race Road, Homer, Alaska, 99603, United States

More about Homer

Russian Orthodox Church in Ninilchik, AlaskaRussian Orthodox Church in Ninilchik, Alaska

Bell at Seafarer's Memorial, Homer Spit, AlaskaBell at Seafarer's Memorial, Homer Spit, Alaska

Seafarer's Memorial, Homer Spit, AlaskaSeafarer's Memorial, Homer Spit, Alaska

Sister testing the waters at Homer Spit, AlaskaSister testing the waters at Homer Spit, Alaska

Getting around

by mbynum

I RV'd to Homer in the summer of 2004 and fell in love with the whole Homer experience: the scenery and the galleries and the food (!) and the friendly folk. It's taken me this long to be able to return to Alaska, but am planning to leave Huntsville, AL early May, with my eventual destination being 2-3 weeks in Homer! I don't tow a car behind my motor home and was wondering what the options are for renting a vehicle for my stay. I've thought about buying a little scooter, but figure I could rent a lot of cars for the expense of the scooter and the rack. I'm a retired teacher and travel alone with my little doglets. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Peace,
Mimi

Re: Getting around

by katmai

Renting a car in Anchorage with unlimited mileage and take it with you to Homer may work. All the usual rental car companies operate here it seems like Budget, Avis, etc. In Homer itself there appears to be a couple car rental businesses: adventurealaskacars.com
or www.polarcarrental.com
Have a plesant time in Homer.

Re: Getting around

by pulpcouture

Bring a bike! Planning on spending more time in Homer this summer, but seems like most places in Alaska don't really require a car once you make it to a town you like.

Travel Tips for Homer

Homer Alaska The ACTUAL story -2009

by Skidplate

If you are one of the owners of the establishments listed, yes you will talk up the scenery and fishing and tourist type stuff. The real Homer is a lot different. I have a house, two kids and a wife. Our electric bill has doubled here recently, thanks to H.E.A., $400 a month. Gas is $2.76 a gallon, a gallon of milk is $3.99. Not to mention you will be lucky to find a job here. Most people who have raised kids here have watched them leave, so they could find a job. The city government counts on tourists for their revenue, as does the state of Alaska. You will pay for everything if you come here. I used to be able to go up the road and camp almost anywhere but since we have become a tourist state, we all have to pay just to park, let alone camp. In Oregon where I grew up, I could go fishing and not see anyone. Thanks to tourism, I have to jostle for elbow room here. The last frontier is not here anymore. We are becoming the next California or Oregon. Too many hippies here to ever have any type of real development, that will lead to long term employment or opportunities for our children. The Government would rather tax you, charge you, pick-pocket you than look for real solid tax revenue. The town of Homer ran off Fred Meyer with all there restrictions. Good you say, keep it small. All the while there is no competition here and the price of everything is out of control. Bring in the jobs I say. Increase the tax base and take the pressure of the people who call this place home. I came from a tourist and fishing town, Coos Bay Oregon to be exact. And look at them now. Not much of a life there. Homer is headed down the same road as Oregon and Calif.. Actually, Homer is more of a retirement area than anything else. Halibut capital of the world?! As a tourist, without a friend who lives here and has a boat, you will pay about $250.00 for a Halibut. If I, a resident of Homer, went to the local store to buy Halibut, it would cost me $15.00 a pound. King crab would cost me $25.00 a pound. Please, send more Russian crab! I'll buy it! Alaska may be a novelty to everyone outside, but it is my home, and my home is ripping me off.
Thanks for listening.:)

Enjoy the View

by kaloz

Homer is on the Kachemak Bay and offers a spectacular view of the Kenai Mountains.

This picture is from the scenic overlook as you arrive in Homer on the Sterling Highway. It is well worth a stop. There is ample parking and several telescopes.

Homer is highly picturesque, so bring lots of film. You will need it. This stopping point is just your introduction to the charm of Homer. Much fun is on the way. So stay tuned.

Peggy (pictured) and Diane came to Alaska to visit me, and it was great fun being tour guide. Some of the places I had even been to before, like Homer.

Pratt Museum

by goingsolo

The museum has an aquarium, an exhibit on the Exxon Valdees oil spill and a refurbished homestead cabin in the back. Its an interesting place to spend time in Homer if you're not into fishing or kayaking.

Visit Homer. It is in a...

by worldtrekker

Visit Homer. It is in a beautiful setting on the southwestern Kenai Peninsula on the north shore of Kachemak Bay. Homer is known for its art galleries and halibut fishing. It is called the halibut fishing capital of the world and there are dozens of charters that go out from here. Salmon fishing from shore is also popular. Seeing this horse and rider galloping up the beach on the Homer Spit.

Fishing

by goingsolo

Homer calls itself the Halibut Capital of the World. The fishing industry is a big part of the area's economy. As a result, there are numerous charter companies which provide summer fishing trips into the bay.

Comments