Best Western Grandma's Feather Bed Juneau

Travelocity Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Juneau

On the Mt Roberts Tram, JuneauOn the Mt Roberts Tram, Juneau

Downtown JuneauDowntown Juneau

One, big, cuddly Beaver!One, big, cuddly Beaver!

Downtown JuneauDowntown Juneau

is fall foliage in season sept 1-6th?

by 9tigers

I am coming to Alaska first week of sept. I was not able to find any fall foliage report online, so want to know if it will be in season when I am there.
also 55 high, does it feel pretty cold.?

when is sun rise and sun down?
is it safe to walk from Hostal to dock?

thanks
Daisy

by YVRDave

There are not many foilage type trees on the West Coast. 55 can get quite cold with wind and rain.
Sunrise and sunset times are here

by YVRDave

A sweater and a waterproof windbreaker work best at that temperature.

by RickinDutch

What Dave said.
Also it is quite safe to walk anywhere in Juneau. Have to worry more about black bears than muggers, especially in the hills.

by RickinDutch

And please be sure to write about the hostel in Juneau. Been going there for years and never knew it existed!

by birchy99

Southeast Alaska is covered with a mainly coniferous forest with a few alder trees interspersed. Best to look for red sided salmon in the streams for color. Brown bears are looking for them this time of year also.
Mart

Travel Tips for Juneau

Juneau Climate

by foster_kid

It rains about 75-90 inches a year in Juneau. Hey, this is a rainforest, so be prepared. The driest time of the year is actually in spring. March to June is the best but not necessarily the warmest. We can still get some snow even in to early May. We do have our warm spells too but having more than a couple days in a row above 80 degrees is really unusual. If it gets that warm you'll hear the locals whine. There is very little air conditioning here. The highest temperature ever in Juneau is 90 degrees. During the winter there is a fair amount of snow but it will often snow for a few days then rain. Sometimes we have days and days of mixed rain/snow and 34 degrees. It's really beautiful in the snow though. Sometimes in the winter we have really cold snaps from Canada and the temperaure can drop below zero but this is usually only at night. Coldest temperature is -22 degrees. Sometimes in winter though we can have what is called Taku winds. This is a very isolated strong wind that flows over the mountains and in to downtown and Douglas. Winds can get as high as 100 mph but it's very isolated to downtown.

Go visit the glacier and...

by kayekaye

Go visit the glacier and surrounding hills. The cab driver named Jerry who took me to see the glacier. It was a quiet afternoon tourist-wise (it was the beginning of March after all)so he took the rest of the day off and showed me a great hiking trail up the mountain at the back of town. Lots of old gold-rush sites and artefacts to see. Thanks Jerry, you made my day.

Juneau is a place to relax

by bellatrix

My boyfriend and I were only there for 4 days, and we decided to spend one of those days on a ferry, taking in the view from the water. Unfortunately though, we were not willing to wake up at 5:20am and take a cab out there, so we slept in and made it there around 2pm by combination of bus and hitch-hiking. And of course, all the ferries had already run! So we sat outiside the terminal for a while, watching the birds and reading (I remember I was reading a great book about a couple who bicycled around the world for 2 years, fantastic read!) and then started walking back to the bus stop. On the way back, we played a game of kicking rocks; we'd find little rocks that rolled good and kick them until we lost them. A long roll would score 2pts, kicking it off the side of road would score -1pts.. etc... haha! We must have played that game for an hour and half while we walked. And of course I kicked his butt! Just goes to show that it doesn't matter what you do, it only matters who you do it with. Maybe another travel companion would have stressed about missing the ferry, etc.. but we had a great time. I love that memory. :)

Wet Weather Gear

by 2Cities1Love

I found a good backpack is handy as i had a video cam and a carmera as well as all the usual stuff a woman carries lol. Make sure you have good foot wear for all the walking you will do.
Buy cheap throw away rain coats they come in handy and a good umbrella. Do not forget your Camera and spare battries as there are so many nice things to take photo's of.

Snowboarding as a noob in Alaska

by Velzy

My snowboarding skills weren't too good yet, so I was intimidated to try snowboarding in Alaska alone. I was there in early 2006. I had met a new friend online and decided this was a chance to actually get out of Texas & see Alaska!

I flew to Juneau and felt like I was in Narnia! Gorgeous!!!! Bald eagles everywhere!! It was amazing for me to see snow on the beaches. Lots of trails to hike, and enough clam chowder to satisfy even me! Juneau is SMALL and full of fun people. The ratio is something like 1 girl for every 15 guys! Before you gals get excited, remember most of the guys here are fishermen/trappers. Not saying they are all icky LOL, but there were many lonely guys here! The BEST place to get a beer was at Doc Waters. Friendly bar with fun locals and great food!

Boarded only 1 day at Eaglecrest Ski Area. It has just opened up, but it was really fun. I spent the day teaching a friend to board. I really had fun, but I look forward to finding more advanced and powdery areas in Alaska! The only thing that I didn't like was on the chair lift. About 1/2 way up, the chair comes to a spot where people can get back on (if they don't want to board/ski all the way to the bottom). It kind of sneaks up on you....all of a sudden your board is scraping ground! YIKES!! Local borders were cool, so were the skiers.

While there you should check out Mendenhall glacier! We hiked all the way out there and it was totally worth it! You can see traces of where the glacier is receeding. They say at the other end you can hear the glacier move, pushing trees over!! Its free to visit, and there is a quaint drive thru espresso/cocoa stand on the way :) Also drive out and walk through St. Theresa shrine. It is free and very cool. Its an old church with pretty stone monuments around it. At the slopes you can rent OLD gear for about $25 a day. I don't recall the lift ticket price and its not on the site right now :( They have really old gear, but it was so fun! A good place for beginners. Staff is really friendly too. The cafe there had hot cocoa and chicken tenders and I don't think it was too pricey. Snow Conditions (907)-586-5330

Comments