Juneau Hotels

Our Members Say

• Mikebb profile photo Mikebb
  • Reviews: 1938

"Zaandam" Balcony Cabin: Holland America Cruise Ship - Luxury Cruising

We took a 7 night cruise from Vancouver to Glacier Bay, Alaska and return with stopovers in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Our accommodation was very comfortable in a Balcony Cabin (cabin 6103) on the 6th deck.

The cabin was well maintained during the cruise, the furnishings were excellent and included a nice lounge, refrigerator, television and other comforts which made us feel at home in our private time. The private balcony was nice , however we rarely spent more than five minutes on it as for most of the time we were at sea we found it a little cold to sit outside for long periods. Our ship cruised at 22 knots which increased the chill factor.

Our cruise commenced 27th June and we experienced calm conditions, the ship was very stable. The cost was Australian dollars $3,000 per person, however I believe you can obtain much cheaper deals through various internet booking sites, or taking a inclusive Canada coach tour and cruise package.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Cruise, Seniors
  • Written July 29, 2008

Our Cabin "Zaandam"

• foster_kid profile photo foster_kid
  • Reviews: 22

Alexis Suites & Ocean Spa: Cute self-catering suite on Auke Bay

We stayed here while we were looking for places to rent when we first moved here. It's a one-bedroom suite with a kitchen and a shower. There is no bathtub. It's a very small place but the view and location more than make up for it. It can accommodate up to 4 people but 2 is best. The furnishing are nicely decorated with even a lacy canopy over the bed. There is also a hot tub that you can use. It comes with cable tv and even free internet access. The hosts Eddie and Heather Brakes are nice people and will help you make your stay nice.

What's really amazing is the view! It is right on the water at Auke Bay. It's just a short walk over to the boat harbor and you can walk along the beach at low tide. Having spent considerable time here I can tell you there is a lot of wildlife in the area. This is a favorite spot for eagles and usually you'll hear them screaching in the morning. You'll also see seals hanging out in the bay. I did on a couple occasions see black bears in the yard. Overall a fun place to stay.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Singles, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written May 5, 2006
Tip Photo

The suite is a finished basement unit

• Julitasoup profile photo Julitasoup
  • Reviews: 1

Indian Cove &B: Great B&B on Indian Cove, near the ferry terminal

I have had family who stayed here. There are 2 apartments, right on the waterfront, on the grouhnd floor of the owner's home. One has a separate bedroom and full kitchen, the other is a large studio with a kitchenette. Use of a hot tub near the water. The owners make great cookiews and bedtime snacks, and provide a full breakfast on weekends. weekdays they stock quarters with the makings ofr a full breakfast. They are locals and can give great tips on day trips, hikes, fishing charters, etc.

Incredible views and at low tide, there are many tide pools to explore right outside your door, as well as whales, sea lions and sea otters, eagles and great sunsets.

• Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, Whale Watching, Kayaking
  • Written August 12, 2005

• lomi profile photo lomi
  • Reviews: 545

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Red Dog Saloon: Saloon Bar

The old ‘currency’ of this prospecting town has written on its coins, bed, ale & woman.
Bearing in mind that the ratio of men to women in the area is 7 to 1: The following is a true story.

I was having a drink at the Red Dog with some friends when a colossal man with hands the size of shovels and about the same amount of charm, introduced himself, by pushing my friends aside and holding out his hand. ‘The name is Killer’

‘Oh’wer’ I thought, taking his hand so as not to offend him.

Keeping hold of my hand, he said so that everyone in the bar could hear. “I am 220 Ib of reinforced steel” and looked around the bar for admiring glances.

At a loss for words & seeing my friends sniggering I assumed I was the impromptu entertainment.

“I’m here for a beer, a fight and a woman” Killer said, and my friends smiles got wider

He pushed his other arm deep into his jacket pocket ‘I have a present for you'

He brought out a handful 10 dollar bills and wafted them in the air, saying ‘I earn 350 dollars a week. he turned to his audience and said ‘is that enough for a good woman?’

The whole bar burst into sniggers of laughterat my discomfort.

“This is for you” he put his hand inside his jacket again and brought out a tiny brown paper bag.

‘Thanks’ I said, putting it down on the bar and pleading with my eyes for my friends to ‘do something’.

‘Open it” he begged

Inside was a tiny, bright red ‘G’ String with a feather on it!

Father fortune stepped into my moment of sheer panic. Another Levithian walked into the bar, strode up to Killer and nudged him, with a not very pleasant look in his eye.

Killer straightened himself to his full height and locked eyes with the stranger like a moose in combat. The laughter stopped and everyone held their breath.

The tiny barmaid bolted from behind the bar, looked up at Killer like a kitten facing a lion and shouted ‘Killer, git outa here, go in git’

And with that Killer shuffled uncomfortably from one foot to the other.

‘Git’

and he and his companion jostled each other outside, eyes still locked

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written June 27, 2005

Gills Horizon: Awesome Views

We stayed with Tom and Deb Gill for 9 days in June 2005. They have a small self contained apartment downstairs. Good for two. Bit claustrophobic with the two kids too! Lovely, cosy, well equipped and food and drink stocks unbelievable. Deb was not going to let us run out of smoked salmon, beer, juice, bread etc.

My parents stayed in their house in the Gold Room with the most amazing views.

We were in Juneau for a family wedding and when the rest of the family saw where we were staying they invited themselves out for a BBQ on three separate nights. Tom and Deb were patient, generous, and genial hosts. No worries about having a crowd over. And with the views and the eagles next door - who can blame everyone for wanting to come to our place!

The hospitality is unrivalled.

UNBELIEVABLE VIEWS. You walk down to a decking area on the edge of the sea and there is a hot tub looking straight out onto the Mendenhall Glacier.

Across the bay is towards the valley and the airport and to the left are the snow covered peaks of Auke Bay. A unique perspective and to my mind the best views in the area.

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Family Travel
Tip Photo

Visiting on the Decking with glacier in background

• starship profile photo starship
  • Reviews: 1009

A Sample of Juneau's Bed & Breakfasts: An Unbiased Listing of B & B's

Serenity Inn - Bed & Breakfast & Gardens

10495 Ann Coleman Road, Juneau
Mailing address: P. O. Box 210902, Auke Bay, AK 99821 Telephone: 907-789-2330
E-mail: ptialaska.net/~serenity

Located in the Auke Bay area and close to the University of Alaska Southeast and Mendenhall Glacier. Transportation from cruiseship docks, ferry terminals and airport.

TV, VCR, queen bed and available rollaways, FAX, laundry (pay), robes, slippers, and hair dryers are provided. A full, hot breakfast is provided as well as beverages & snacks in late afternoon/early evening.

AK Fireweed House Bed & Breakfast

8530 North Douglas Highway, Juneau
Tel: 1-800-586-3885; FAX: 907-586-3885
Web: www.fireweedhouse.com

Close to downtown Juneau; views of Thomas Glacier! Open year round; King & Queen beds, jacuzzis, breakfast included. Private apartment or individual rooms.

Sally's Bed & Breakfast

P. O. Box 22093, Juneau
Tel: 907-780-4708
Web: www.alaska.net/~sbb

B&B rooms in Sally's home come with full breakfast; Efficiency apartment available with kitchenette but a continental breakfast is provided each morning.

Gold Street Inn

303 Gold Street, Juneau
Website: www.goldstreetinn.com
E-mail: reservations@goldstreetinn.com

Only 2 blocks from downtown, this Inn is located on a quiet side street but within walking distance of historical sites, and other attractions. All rooms come with private bath, satellite TV and phone. Complimentary continental breakfast for all guests. $95 - $155 USD

• Written March 14, 2005

• starship profile photo starship
  • Reviews: 1009

The Alaskan Hotel & Bar: JUNEAU'S OLDEST HOTEL!

The Alaskan Hotel has the distinction of being the oldest operating hotel in Juneau having begun its life in September, 1913. It is unique in a town which subsequently became the capital of the state and where, therefore, not a great deal of early architectural facade remains. Although the early mining establishment of Juneau naturally required boarding and rooming houses, hotels as such were rarer. According to the history of the hotel, it was built by an entrepreneur and the two McCloskey brother who had become rich when gold. The three acquired The Alaskan Hotel's prime location on Franklin Street because of its proximity to the steamship docks and being in the heart of the "business" district. Opening night was a gala event with music and free ferries running between Douglas and Juneau and other special events.

The Alaskan Hotel can also be noted for being placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Some say the hotel comes with its own ghosts and the stories & legends are fascinating, but too long to tell here.

Rates ~ 1 to 2 people $60 with shared bath; $90 with private bath (some with kitchenette);
Suites (like small efficiencies with kitchen, etc.) ~ 2 - 3 people $120; Check for senior citizens discount. Rooms look pretty basic.

The Alaskan Hotel can be an inexpensive place to stay for travelers on a budget and for those who appreciate early Alaskan architectural surroundings. The hotel has 18 rooms to let with private baths and 22 rooms with shared baths. Their brochure indicates that all rooms have a sink and some contain kitchenettes which would be particularly helpful to families. All rooms have antique furniture and hall baths have antique fixtures as well. Rooms come with cable & satellite TV, phone and the hotel has been updated with smoke alarms & a sprinkler system. The hotel also has a coin-operated, guest laundry and gift shop.-

Of particular interest are the hotel's 50 pieces of stained glass including one special Wisteria design by Tiffany which adorns the hotel's front window!!

For more Alaskan early-frontier ambiance, step into the hotel's bar--somewhat dimly lit, but nevertheless very interesting. The staff is courteous and helpful.

We did not stay at this hotel as we arrived by cruise ship, but when I slipped in to have a look at the hotel lobby and its bar, I found it very interesting. The personnel there were kind enough to give me matches with the hotel name on it (I try to collect matches from all places I travel) and hotel information which makes them very helpful in my book.

For more information about the "Bar", please see my tip under "restaurants".

• Written March 1, 2005

Alaskan Hotel & Bar - with balcony

• Elli99fh profile photo Elli99fh
  • Reviews: 41

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ridgeway Bed and Breakfast: Stay at a B & B!

We wanted a nice place to stay the first and last nights of our visit to Juneau. This is a nice, clean, comfortable B&B. It had everything we wanted and nothing that we didn't, and we were happy with the reasonable price.

We stayed in the Rose Room, which had an elevated bed, which was kind of fun. Helene was very flexible with our hours. Highly recommended!

• Written July 26, 2004

• Elli99fh profile photo Elli99fh
  • Reviews: 41

Rent - a - Wreck: Camp out of a Van

Why not have transportation and camping in one? We rented a mini-van from Rent -a -Wreck, drove it around all day sightseeing, then camped in it at night.

There are lots of places to camp in the Juneau area. As long as you leave nothing but footprints, you really aren't limited as to where you can camp (within reason). We camped next to a waterfall one night and at a park in Douglas another night. A great deal, since the price includes the day's transportation!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written July 26, 2004
Tip Photo

Our van at the end of the road

• bellatrix profile photo bellatrix
  • Reviews: 176

Alaskan Hotel: Alaskan Hotel

I think we paid $50 a night for a double with a shared bath in September, a shoulder season. Expect to pay much more in summer, and much less in winter.

It's the oldest operating hotel in Juneau, and has some charm to it. There's a bar downstairs, and it gets pretty loud on weekends. The room had red curtains and old style furnishings, and reminded me of an old brothel! Very interesting ambience.

• Written August 26, 2002
Tip Photo

• globetrott profile photo globetrott
  • Reviews: 7837

a cruise-ship is certainly the...

a cruise-ship is certainly the best recommendation. The waters are mostly calm in Alaska - at least I do not remember any heavy sea during my 2 months of cruising in Alaska - and the very best hotel ashore will never take you directely to the most beautiful places and glaciers in Alaska !

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Written August 25, 2002

• Venturingnow profile photo Venturingnow
  • Reviews: 877

I stayed in the INN AT THE...

I stayed in the INN AT THE WATERFRONT located right across the street from where the ferries dock.

It had a severly good restaurant downstairs, and a great view.

• Written August 25, 2002
Tip Photo

• chatzchen profile photo chatzchen
  • Reviews: 242

There are different types...

There are different types where people can stay.
I stayed on the boat of my friend Bob all the time I was there.
It was unforgettable for me especially during the winter I was there.
I don't think I ever slept so cold, but however Bob I thank you for teaching me many things.

-There is a campsite near the Mendenhal Glacier where friends of mine planned to stay in September '96 but after they read the Bear-Warning sign they changed to stay in the hostel.
-You can also stay at the Alaskan Hotel but I think in the summer it is very crowded and might not be easy to get a room.
During the winter it was no problem and I would recommend to spent an hour in their Hot-Tubs. In the winter it seemed to be the hottest place in Juneau for me.

here a postcard from Juneau at night

• Opinion of Price: