9200 Glacier Highway, Juneau, Alaska, 99801, United States

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

• Do NOT Stay Here

We scheduled a trip to Juneau to visit our daughter. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our reservation. We called them 2.5 months ahead of time, and they REFUSED to refund ANY of our money - resulting in a loss of over $1,500. Also allowing them to re-rent our room and make twice as much money off of it.

I will never stay at a Travelodge again. The manager was extremely rude and stopped answering our calls after only our first refund request.

THIS IS TERRIBLE POLICY AND TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Do not give this hotel any more money.

Unique Quality: Extremely rude management.

More about Juneau

Daughter Julie on the newly completed trail.Daughter Julie on the newly completed trail.

Senate Chamber (the assembly is largely identical)Senate Chamber (the assembly is largely identical)

Mendenall Glacier Dog SleddingMendenall Glacier Dog Sledding

Whale TailWhale Tail

1 day in Juneau/ August

by firefly2010

I will be arriving by cruise ship and been trying to find things to do without excursions. Heard a lot about Captain Larry @ Orca enterprise...is it worth booking. Does anyone know if Holland America books through them. Mendenhall Glacier, I want to see, should I do it by air or on foot. If so who should I use. Do you think I will have enough time to do both and use local transportation? Also I'm interested in doing the Zipline should i do it in Juneau or in Ketchiken? Hope you can help me out, don't know when I'll be back and want to do it right.

by Donna_in_India

Hi - I've taken Captain Larry's trips twice. We had a great time and saw lots of whales. For glaciers (including Mendenall) we did a glacier landing trip with Temsco Helicopters. Fantastic!! All of the Alaska excursions are expensive but definitely worth it and as you mention - don't know when you'll be back. You can also choose to see Mendenhall from the ground and if you do I recommend getting up in the air in at least 1 port.

For both excursions I mentioned transportation from the dock is included so you don't have to worry about that. We did the 2 excursions, Mt. Roberts Tramway, lunch at the Red Dog Saloon, and poked around the downtown stores a bit all in one day so depending on how long the ship will be in Juneau, you should be able to do at least the 2 excursions. Also - don't book through the ship. If you take a look at my Juneau page http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8295b/b45fa/ - all of the information for contacting the specific companies is there. Have a great cruise!!

by firefly2010

Thank you for the information. I will look at your page.

by AnnLAdams

In 2004, we used Northstar Trekking for the helicopter ride and guided trek to the Mendenhall Glacier and were SO glad we did. My travel book had recommended them. We did the longest trek on the glacier with a guide and only about 5 customers, some of whom came from the cruise ship, so there was time for that. I can't recommend it enough, even tho it is pricey. It's not every day you get to Alaska so I say go for it while you can. I've trekked on glaciers in Chamonix, France, and the Canadian Rockies and this one was very different terrain. Our guide even gave us a little lesson in ice climbing!! Unforgettable experience!

by mikelisaanna

Do the zipline in Ketchikan, which has fewer things to see and do than Juneau. On our day in Juneau, we did both the Mendenhall Glacier and a whale watching cruise. We were booked for the helicopter, but weather caused a cancellation. Instead, we took a bus to the near the base of the glacier, where there is an informative vistors' center and good views of the glacier and little icebergs that have come off of it.

I highly recommend doing a whale watching cruise. We saw a family of whales and got tons of photos.

Feel free to visit our Juneau page here on VT for more info and photos.

by firefly2010

thanxs for the info. i booked a flight with North Star and i am looking forward to the flight and hike.

Travel Tips for Juneau

What to do with a day in Juneau

by RickinDutch

I get asked a lot on what to do with a day in Juneau so here are some general tips.

If you have an aversion to crowds like me, you might find downtown Juneau to be very touristy and crowded when the ships are in. I had been often during the legislative sessions and downtown was a pleasant and quiet place. But when we went to visit our daughter a few years back during the summer, I was amazed at how those few blocks around the cruise docks was packed with people and all those stores that are usually shuttered close are open and selling every kind of trinket, usually made in China or some expensive jewelry made of black pearls or something else that has nothing to do with Alaska. There are some nice shops mingled in amongst the kitch such as local art.

The Mt. Robert's tram leaves right from the cruise ship docks - you can't miss the bright red cable cars. But it is efficiently run and folks move through fairly quickly. A restaurant up top that serves so-so food but a great view. The bird rehab group had an eagle for close up viewing that was recovering from an injury the time we went.

A walking tour of the rest of downtown can be pleasant. Staright up Franklin Street will take you to the State Capital. A modest 4 storey building built in the early 60's but packed with lots of historical photos and displays. The State Museum is worth a visit - perhaps the nicest in Alaska besides the main one in Anchorage. The Governor's Mansion is right on the sidewalk so you can get very close. Past the Mansion is a nice park (Cope?) that leads back into Propectors Creek with some nice trails in the trees and an old gold mine.

If you rent a car you can drive out north of Juneau. St. Therese's Shrine is a wonderful spot to walk around and about 8 miles north of town. Some nice beaches further north that are rarely crowded.

Best restaurants during the summer are the Twisted Fish and the Hanger, both right down by the cruise ships.

Can't speak to the helicopter rides. But the whale watching boats are usually successful in finding whales and you can save a few bucks by booking online instead of going thru the cruise line. Get away from their vertical integration and keep some money in your pocket.

There is a bus from the docks to Mendenhall Glacier for $7.50 OW. I've seen a lot of glaciers in my time and this is one of the more accessible and scenic. Nice visitors center and there is a trail that takes you close to the actual ice (about 1/2 mile). Easy walk if the water level in the lake is low. Trail ends at the waterfall.

Keep your eyes open when you approach by plane!

by bellatrix

One of my fondest memories was actually the view from the airplane on the way into Juneau. The snow covered peaks and the steep green hills that cascade down into the water produce some amazingly stunning views!

Stay on the waterfront...

by Venturingnow

Stay on the waterfront property that overlooks the docks. It's beautiful. Juneau is perfect to explore by foot, and walking around downtown is a must. Walking around the downtown area and along the waterfront.

LOTS OF INDIAN HISTORY, YOU'LL...

by AGHIOS

LOTS OF INDIAN HISTORY, YOU'LL SEE LOADS OF TOTEM POLES EVERYWHWERE, NO LITTER ANYWHERE. TAKE YOUR GOLD PAN WITH YOU!APPARENTLY THERE IS MORE WOMEN THAN MEN IN ALASKA(CAN'T SAY THAT I NOTICED THIS)MIND YOU SOME OF THE WOMEN ARE A BIT SUSPECT SPORTING BEER BELLIES AND BEARDS, SO I COULD BE MISTAKEN!

Another red dog pic.

It's cold - pack accordingly!

by bellatrix

I'd advise taking warm weather clothes any time you visit, especially if you plan to hike around on Mt. Roberts, or anywhere with a high elevation. If you visit anytime other than summer (and even then, really) definately take rain or snow gear.

Comments