10431 Kenai Spur Hwy, Kenai, Alaska, 99611, United States

Turn HereTurn Here

Former Interlocked Moose Horn ClubFormer Interlocked Moose Horn Club

Best fishing guides and lodges in Kenai, Alaska

by newgrl68

I am planning a guided Alaskan fishing trip for my husbands 50th birthday. Does anyone have any recommendations of guide services they've used or heard good things about?

by Vulindlela

Hello,
Check out www.orcalodge.com

This was the place we used and it was an awesome experience!
I highly recommend it.

by swdke

Check with Kenai Cache and Gwin's lodge. They will help you with all your needs. When are you going? Mid June is a great time.

by onebadcat

Bob Ball is a great guide

See www.piscatorialpursuits.com

of he doesn't have space he will recommend someone great!

by newgrl68

Thanks for the reply! We are planning to go Sept. 2008. I don't even know if thats a good time to go or not. But I'm sure I'll find info on "best times" from the site you recommended. Thanks!

by onebadcat

September is too late for Bob Ball - sorry. In september you will find silver salmon on the lower kenai and silvers, huge rainbows and dollies on the upper kenai. Is your husband a flyfisherman? If so book a float trip out of copper landing for rainbows - should be awesome! I haven't used any of those guys myself so maybe someone else can flip you a name.

Travel Tips for Kenai

Nikiski

by PA2AKgirl

Nikiski is the only town I'm covering that belongs in a general tip rather than in the must visit category. This whole "general tips" being my favorite memory bothers me. It's just a a general tip: not a particular danger and not anything exciting. Oh well...moving on...

So you've just seen cute Old Town Kenai and the wonderful overlooks or the area and perhaps you want to see what the rest of the Kenai Spur road has to offer. There's a recreation area at the end of this road with more great views so maybe Nikiski will be nice too, right? Well, if you're into oil refineries, you've arrived at the best place. Nikiski looks like parts of the Gulf areas of Texas and Louisiana--refinery after refinery. The difference here is that there are still great volcanoes and this amazing Alaskan landscape but you can't see that through the stacks. And these refineries aren't spread out over large areas--they are all clumped together. The other buildings aren't that great either. Apparently there is still good fishing here but why would you choose Nikiski out of all your other options? There is Nikiski Pool which is indoors with a large waterslide and other recreation--a Conoco Phillips site. So, like I said, if you're coming to Alaska to see Phillips or Chevron structures, you'll have a great time. Otherwise, you probably just want to move on and forget the refineries that make up Nikiski. My overall review: yuck. Leaving is my fondest memory of Nikiski

A cup of late'(sp)(coffee)at a...

by revisit

A cup of late'(sp)(coffee)at a coffee shop on the bluff. The place I can not remember the name but,when I lived ther in the 60's. It was one of our friends homes. We recognized it and went in. It was the most awsome cup of espresso. Emily Dolchock used to live in that log cabin. My fondest memory was stopping off at the library to warm up. We were walking to a shopping center. The library was a geat retreat. Employees very helpful. I saw a plack where my second grade teacher was a sponsor. Mrs. Seaman had been earlier that day. Too bad I missed her.

Getting ready to bring the fish home

by herzog63

For most of what I saw it seemed like a family affair. Whole families would be there sharing in the duties of dipnetting, cleaning, carrying the fish back to the car. It can be quite a bit of work just to get the fish back to your car. As you're not allowed to drive on the beach and the parking lot is a few hundred yards away from the river.

A moose on the loose

by herzog63

On the Kenai Peninsula it is quite common to see Moose! We spotted this one right in a residential area! Don't think you can get out a pet it!! They can kill you!! Just enjoy watching them and take some photos if you've got a camera handy.

Stock Car Racing

by herzog63

There is a local track for stock car racing. We saw this car outside the local NAPA Autoparts store and they were giving away free hotdogs so we stopped to load the kids up on Hotdogs and potato chips! We had a tight budget!

Comments