207 Stedman Street, Ketchikan, Alaska, 99901, United States

Stedman StStedman St

Mill St at Front StMill St at Front St

I need a good hat

by medford2

The Missus and I will be in Ketchikan on a cruise next month. While we'll be looking for an appropriate souvenir to bring home (any suggestions?), what I want is a good hat. Not a ballcap, or an "authentic" looking hat made in China, but a good Alaskan-made hat that I can wear on my next fishing trip out to the mountains of New Mexico when I get back home. A hat that I'll be proud to say, "I got it in Alaska". Could you guys recommend a store away from the tourist traps where I might find one?

by travelgourmet

Wow! Where is a store away from the tourist traps? Ketchikan is a tourist trap, if coming by cruise ship. The cruise ships dock along side the stores in town. How's that for convenience. I saw many baseball style hats and a few bucket style, which I like best for fishing (keeps the ears from burning). I suggest going over by Creek Street, still a tourist area, but look for the kayak rentals stores, I believe I saw hats in one of them. Also, oilskin baseball style hats are at the Arctic Bar on Water Street, near the tunnel, with a logo of two "Happy Bears" er......let's say wrestling. lol As far as being Alaskan Made, I'm not sure how many hats are made in Alaska, just check the label.

by Jamesr3939

True, true, true...most of the towns where the ships stop are 90% tourist trap. We rode our motorcycle up there a few years ago and it is really interesting to see what happens when the ships leave. Most of the shops and resturants and bars close up. The locals end up in about 2-3 places, until the ships come again the next day. A popular straw hat sold in Hawaii is made about 20 miles from where I live in the California central valley. I can't even buy it here as they all get shipped to Hawaii. If it were me, buy the hat you like the most, tell everybody you got it in Alaska, and don't let them look at the tag.

by YVRDave

"I got it in Alaska" screams tourist. Have a look a a Tilley hat from Canada

by medford2

Never heard of a Tilley hat. After I looked at their site, I realized that's just what I'm probably looking for. The only problem is I just don't like to buy something personal like a hat just from looking at the picture...if I can help it. I looked at Tongass Trading Company's web-site there in Ketchikan, and I see they sell what they call a "Yukon oilskin hat" that looks promising. Have any of you guys seen this hat? I think I'll just wait till I get up there, check out that hat, and if I like the looks of it, AND it does not say "made in China" anywhere on it, I'll pick it up. Otherwise I'll just wear my old boonie for the rest of the trip, and when I get home, order me a Tilley. I really appreciate ya'lls input on this.

by YVRDave

Good search. You may have missed this one http://tongasstrading.com/store/product/58977/Alaska-Oilskin-Bucket-Hat/

If the cruise ship stops in Victoria or Vancouver, Tilley hats will be easily found.
or....
Medford
AAA Oregon/Idaho (541) 779-7170
Black Bird (541) 779-5431
Sportsman’s Warehouse (541) 732-3700

by medford2

It's stopping in Prince Rupert. I may check there.

Travel Tips for Ketchikan

Totems

by HispanicYob

This town has plenty of totems scattered all over the place, sometimes in the most unlikely of spots. This was taken near the vicinity of Creek Street. My fondest memory of Ketchikan would be these totems, as well as Burger Queen. Also going to the internet place by the pier ha ha!

Bedrock and Sand

by emilienoelle

Here is one kind of interesting thing that I learned about Ketchikan while I was there: The town and its surrounding area has a very high bedrock level, meaning that it is fairly close to the surface, and in addition to this the soil there is very sandy. Because of these factors, you will notice that many of trees in the forests often take root and grow on top of other trees for stability. When trees die they are left on the forest floor to become "nurse trees" for seedlings. It is an amazing sight to see trees growing on top of trees while hiking through an area. It's the first time I've ever seen anything like it.

Getting across the creek

by Laura_Mexico

Many people stop on these bridges to look in the creek... and if you're lucky you will see salmons swimming upstream the river! It's really cool to witness one of the many marvels of nature.... Hmmm and did I mention that salmon is just DELICIOUS??? I'm sorry for the little fish because I love to see them alive, but it's also true that eating them is a pleasure too. The quality of the salmon sold here in Alaska is outstanding. We used to take a good amount of it back home every time we visited AK (smoked).

Rain Storm at Clover Pass

by mcpangie

Ketchikan is located in rainforest. If you're lucky, you'll get the opportunity to see that the rain can be lovely in Southeast Alaska. It's kind of hard to level out the horizon on a small boat at sea. Clover Pass is at the "north" end of the Tongass Narrows leaving Ketchikan.

Understanding Totem Poles - Frog

by mcpangie

The sign says...

Frog:
It is said that carved frogs on house poles prevent them from falling over.

- wide mouth
- thick lips
- toed feet in flexed position
- no teeth, ears or tail

Comments