Rose Ridge Bed and Breakfast

PO Box 1943, Palmer, Alaska, 99645, United States

More about Palmer

Above Lower Reed LakeAbove Lower Reed Lake

Looking Back From Upper Reed LakeLooking Back From Upper Reed Lake

Bluebird day at Hatcher Pass outside PalmerBluebird day at Hatcher Pass outside Palmer

Now THAT is a tiny reindeer!Now THAT is a tiny reindeer!

Travel Tips for Palmer

OK, everyone wants to see the cabbage!

by kaloz

Is there such a thing as "off the beaten path" at the State Fair? I am using it to show some of the other crops exhibits. Like this beuatiful display of peas and corn.

For more information on crops (adobe):

Hatcher's Pass

by mcpangie

"Motherlode Lodge"

My grandmother moved out of Colorado with her two boys and went to Alaska when my father was a young boy. For a while they lived up at Independence Mine in the Talkeetna Mountains prior to the mine's closing. These days there is a State Park at Independence.

This is Motherlode Lodge on the Palmer side of Hatcher's Pass. The name of this lodge has changed names on and off over the years. My grandmother owned this building back when it was just a house. There have been plenty of additions before this picture was taken.

"Cross Country Skiing At Hatcher's Pass"

My grandmother used to have to ski up and down the mountains when they lived up at Independence Mine. These days we do it for fun, or exercise. A little of both for me.

Here I am in Hatcher's Pass skiing in April 1997. I made it to the top of the hill! I have yet to scan in the photo of the trip back down! I don't think that I will. But it is quite the humorous picture. My backside was stuck in a big hole and I needed the help of my little brother Duane here to get out of that mess.

There is a book written about the area that was published recently. "Hunting for Gold in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains 1897-1951: With a Background Sketch of Alaska's Great Gold-Lode Camps" by William Stole. He sent copies to my parents and grandmother. I don't know the whole story about what he asked her about, but she was working at the Mine during those last days it was open in apparently 1951 according to the book title!

In my surfing around the WWW I have noted at least one other traveller wasn't happy with the condition of the Hatcher's Pass Road. t 4x4 is the only safe way to get up that road most of the time.
During this ski trip the roads seemed hard enough still, yet there was this one sink hole that my Ford Taurus didn't take so good. I remember the awful sound! Never take a vehicle with known engine mount recall up that road! Two years later when the transmission went out I wasn't surprised. There is a REASON the car rental companies make you promise at the Ted Stevens International Airport that you won't take their cars up such roads.

Comments