Seldovia Hotels

• HasTowelWillTravel profile photo HasTowelWillTravel
  • Reviews: 375

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Seldovia Bayview Suites: Fine view and large place

The Seldovia Bayview Suites are a fantastic place to stay as a basecamp while exploring the countryside. They are large suites, more apartment-style than regular hotels. The service is courteous but a bit slow, though the pace of life in Seldovia is slow in general. Our room had 2 bedrooms, a living room, bath, 5 beds, dining room, and a full kitchen. The rooms were comfortable, I had a great view of the church (one side views the town, the other the bay).

The kitchen was a big coup for us. It allowed us to purchase groceries and cook in the room rather than go out for every meeting. And every day the maid did any spare dishes that were left (we did most of them ourselves, but some of them got away from us), so another bonus.

There is a jacuzzi which looks off onto the bay, a terrific way to relax at the end of the day. Don't miss this part of your stay, especially on lazy summer days.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written August 9, 2008

One of our bedrooms

• AlbuqRay profile photo AlbuqRay
  • Reviews: 1795

Miscellaneous Seldovia Lodging: Other Options

I did not stay at any of these hotels or B&B's. I just took pictures as I walked by. I did talk to the Boardwalk Hotel person (Mavis) when I was planning my trip in Mar 07 and she was very helpful. The previous owner (who had passed away last year) offered package deals for 1 or 2 nights stay, the boat over and flightseeing back to Homer for $169 - $235. The new owners had not put together a package yet and were charging $129 a night for a bay side single room (the Bear Paw B&B was $85). It is Sep 07 now and the Boardwalk Hotel may well have re-instated their package deals. They were definitely a good value. The Seldovia website has a lodging list and most of these places have their own web page.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written September 8, 2007

Boardwalk Hotel

• AlbuqRay profile photo AlbuqRay
  • Reviews: 1795

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bear Paw B&B: Really Has Bears

I am going to go ahead and write a tip on the Bear Paw B&B because it may re-open again. It turns out that Laurel and Jim have sold their house and are moving to Homer. Evidently Seldovia is even more isolated in the winter than in the summer, and they want to be able to drive to places like Anchorage.

It's really too bad it is closing because the Bear Paw was a fine B&B, very comfortable and Laurel was a charming hostess. Even though it was only ~8 blocks from downtown, Laurel would pick people up at the harbor or at the airport too. She had free bicycles to ride, although downtown is plenty close enough to walk to when you don't have luggage. I am not kidding about there really being bears; they come into the back yard. There was even a bear trap down the street where the police chief was trying to catch a problem bear (it was trying to get into houses).

The B&B is actually downstairs. It has two bedrooms, bath with hot tub, sitting area and beakfast area. I had it all to myself. Laurel was only serving a continental breakfast when I was there but it was a good one... homemade blueberry muffins. The fridge was stocked with juices. There was also coffee and tea.

I had some bad luck while I was in Seldovia. Remember the strong wind that kept the boats from coming? It also blew over some trees which broke power lines. The electricity was off for almost 18 hours. Light was not a problem since the days were so long and Laurel had candles;however, all the restaurants were closed. Instead we had cheese and crackers with bear sausage; yes, it was real bear sausage that Laurel had made and it was quite tasty.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average