Seward Hotels

Our Members Say

• AlbuqRay profile photo AlbuqRay
  • Reviews: 1795

Ho-Hum Lodge: Quiet Seward B&B Outside of Town

I did not actually stay at the Ho-Hum Lodge but I met the owners who are very nice people. The lodge is located across the road from the historic Woodlawn Cemetery in the woods north of Seward. See also my Seward off-the-beaten path tip on "Remembering Mary Lowell."

• Related to: Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written January 5, 2008

Scenic Location

• AlbuqRay profile photo AlbuqRay
  • Reviews: 1795

Camelot Cottages: Quiet and Closer to the Exit Glacier

I was looking for a place near the Exit Glacier turnoff and away from the tourist crowds downtown and I found Camelot Cottages. These cottages are off the highway and a little hard to find; however, they are worth it. North of Seward turn east on Nash Road (~0.5 mile south of Exit Glacier access road) then make a quick left to the north on Salmon Creek Road. The road makes a jog to the east at the historic Woodlawn Cemetery and then changes to Excaliber Way when it turns back north. Camelot Drive is at the end of Excaliber Way. The total distance from Nash Road is 1.4 miles.

The grounds are nice and the cottages are nestled among large trees. There was no phone in my cabin (some would consider this a plus), but there was one available in the laundry room. I had one of the smaller cabins but it had a nice little kitchen with a stove, fridge and microwave. Instant oatmeal was provided for breakfast and there was a nice selection of teas. The best thing was how quiet it was. Camelot Cottages is a great place to sleep.

There is an outdoor hot tub and also an outdoor grill. A washer and dryer are available. Laundry is $3.00 a load including supplies (this is very reasonable for Alaska).

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written December 23, 2007

Office and Laundry Room

• travel10000 profile photo travel10000
  • Reviews: 34

Fjordland Inn: Fjordland Inn

It's a two story large house in a residential area. The whole second floor is rented out. There is a full kitchen / dining area and a living room area with TV in the middle. Ask for a room away from the kitchen or you will listening to people early in the morning (being quiet, but you can hear them walking around, as we did). We had a room with a queen bed and private bathroom. It was good size, very clean, with comfortable bed, quiet (other than being by the kitchen), faced the trees in the back yard. Their website says that all room have a view, but that's not true. Even rooms facing the front probably don't have a view because of the tall trees. View wasn't really important to us, since we see accomodations simply as a place to sleep. You can use the kitchen. (There is a supermarket as you enter town.) There is free breakfast ("make it yourself" - eggs in the refrigerator, oatmeal packets, bread and muffins that the hostess leaves in the evening, coffee, tea, juice). We only saw the hostess twice - when we asked for extra towels and when we were checking out, so if you want a small inn with privacy from the owners but where you can get to know other guests at breakfast time then this place is great. We had a car and thought the location worked well, since one day we went to the harbor for boat tour and the other day hiking from Exit Glacier, so in two different directions.

• Written March 7, 2007

• willtryanythingonce profile photo willtryanythingonce
  • Reviews: 16

Alaska Dreamin' Bed & Breakfast: Bed & Breakfast option

A new B&B in Seward, booked through Miller's Landing reservations, Alaska Dreamin' is an A-frame home just minutes away from downtown Seward. Two very nice, private bedrooms (each with two full-size beds) and large shared bath w/shower & tub. Bedrooms have full kitchenettes (fridge, microwave, coffee maker, dishes, linens, sink, counter space), cable television and home owner offers use of large gas grill. Private entrance makes for a very nice stay. Home is located with incredible mountain views. Reasonable prices ($100/night) with nice continental breakfast (homeowner gave us freshly smoked teriyaki salmon on Sunday). Since this is a new place (open only summer 2005) there are a few glitches - could use some lawn chairs for enjoying the view, we were out of coffee for the coffee maker on our first morning (didn't they check the can??).

Had a desk area filled with "things to do in Seward" brochures. Very private - no interference by family (good or bad?? I'm not sure...) Next summer, home owner says that the entire a-frame will be rented out - might be something to consider for a larger group.

• Written August 17, 2005

• mht_in_la profile photo mht_in_la
  • Reviews: 881

Kate's Roadhouse: Simple life in Seward

I found Kate's Roadhouse in my Lonely Planet Alaska book. It's located at mile 5.5 on Seward Highway, just north of town not too far from Exit Glacier Road junction. It provides hostel style lodging (in the main house where Kate lives) and a few out-houses (cabins) at very reasonable price.

When I visited Kate's in May 2002, she was a little surprised because they were not open for the year 2002 due to her health problem. Since I travelled light and didn't look like a trouble maker, she let me spend a night in one of the cabins for $15. First I helped her clean up the cabin which had been vacant for some time. The wall heater in the cabin didn't work so she brought me a small plug-in floor heater. These cabins didn't come with bath so I used the one in the main house. It all worked out and I had a cozy night.

The photo shows the cabin I stayed in Kate's Roadhouse and my rental car. I have included their website below. The website has good info but doesn't seem to be maintained anymore. Please call to make sure they are open before you visit.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written July 23, 2003
Tip Photo

My cabin and rental car near Seward

• 850prc profile photo 850prc
  • Reviews: 1195

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Six Mile Bed and Breakfast, Seward, AK: A terrific B&B in Seward

** Note : This tip is from a long-ago trip to Alaska (1999). However, I have revisited this page and updated, making sure that the information is still valid. The same people run this b&b as ran it when we visited. I'm sure you'll like it. **

This is basically a shared house situation, although the owners have opened a neighboring house for business, which they call the Six Mile cottage.

In the main house, the guests get the entire upstairs, which is about 1000 square feet, with two large beds, a balcony and a large restroom. Breakfast is taken downstairs in the owner's kitchen.

About the owners.... Dan and Madeline. Madeline is an ex-forest ranger with a great deal of knowledge about local wildlife. Dan is a teacher, and about 5 years ago, he was Alaska's "Teacher of the Year". Dan does most of the morning breakfast work, and it's Paul Bunyan-esque. He'll have something different for you each day and will probably work with special needs. We had no needs....we just told him that anything for breakfast was cool. We had skillet breakfasts, hotcakes, sausages, all sorts of goodies. Muffins, etc. And, we enjoyed just talking with Dan each morning as we planned our day. He was a great "tour guide".

They do have an email address, but no dedicated website. (The one below is more of a B&B compilation site describing Six Mile) Their email address is sixmilebb@alaska.com.

(1) Roomy
(2) The cottage has a washer and dryer. And, even if you stay at the main house, Dan and Madeline will usually let you use the washer over at the cottage.
(3) Great food

The Six Mile B&B, Seward, AK

• RSeppeler profile photo RSeppeler
  • Reviews: 60
Uncle Jimmy's Sailboat: Sailboat

This was the cheapest accomodation of all....Uncle Jimmy owns a 28 foot sailboat which slept 4 of us. We use it for fishing and taking a 3 day boat trip. Just perfect.

• Written December 25, 2002

Captain Jimmy's Boat

• wilsonjw profile photo wilsonjw
  • Reviews: 114
Seward Campground: Beach camping

Seward has a public campground right in town, and on the beach.

Nothing fancy -- just a place to pitch a tent or park a cheesebox.

• Written December 8, 2002

Our campsite in Seward

• wilsonjw profile photo wilsonjw
  • Reviews: 114
Seward Campground: Beach camping

Seward has a public campground right in town, and on the beach.

Nothing fancy -- just a place to pitch a tent or park a cheesebox.

• Written December 8, 2002

Our campsite in Seward

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5881

Ina had this habit of being...

Ina had this habit of being able to sleep just about anywhere. At first it infuriated me, but I came to envy and then adore it.
The best things in life can be free.

It's as if you're sleeping with the angels.

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written September 11, 2002
Tip Photo

• goingsolo profile photo goingsolo
  • Reviews: 2750

Evergreen Cabin: Evergreen Cabin

I wanted something different and less expensive than the hotels, which run about $150-200 per night in the summer. This was a much better alternative since it is a private cabin. Four people can sleep here for $100 (as of 2002).

The cabin is located in a rural area several miles from the "city" of Seward. The gravel road leads up into a wooded area where bear and moose are wont to roam. It was large and spacious, with a cozy queen sized bed and an upper loft with two twin beds. Also included is full service kitchen and a mini sitting area, including a sleeper sofa and full, but mini bathroom with a shower only.

The owners were polite and unobtrusive. They welcomed me, left a loaf of delicious cinnamon baked bread and departed into their adjacent home, telling me to let them know if I needed anything.

There is no tv but a bookshelf and radio for entertainment and silence so rarely found can be enjoyed here, as it was by me. In all, a very pleasant stay and a great alternative to a small, expensive hotel room.

a private cabin complete with bathroom, kitchen, separate loft with extra bed. Extremely comfortable yet away from the town.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average