Beach Drive, Seward, Alaska, 99664, United States

Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• peliason's Profile Photo

Good Value

Super cute cabin rental at the Miller's Landing campground south of Seward. It was $50 per night for our little shack, but totally worth it. There was a wood-burning stove to keep us warm, but no running water in the shack. The bathroom was only about 40 feet away though in the main building.

Only a short (like 5 minute) drive south from Seward.

Check out the website: http://www.millerslandingak.com/cabinsP1A.htm#lookouts

• youc0001's Profile Photo

Camping? Lodging in Seward is...

Camping? Lodging in Seward is very expensive. Try to camp out or rent a cabin. The cabins at Miller's Landing are relatively (key word) cheap. But the place isn't too nice, and the cabin we stayed at was NOT up to code at all (but i don't think there is any code in alaska anyways). We overnighted on our sailboat and slept on the sailboat. I believe there are state park cabins somewhere around the bay. You many want to try for a B & B.
    Camping= $
    Cabins= $$$-$$$$ 120-200
    B&B's =$80-200
    Hotels $$$$ 200+
    There may be a hostel here.

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo

Shelter from the rain...

Inside the cabin in the above pic. Someone caught me sleeping on the job! I need to rest too sometimes... :-)

Unique Quality: The accommodations are nothing to write home about, but they were definately good for keeping us dry! This place gets a lot of rain! These cabins are booked out far in advance - and each one looks different. One is actually a trailer...

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo

Miller's Landing

Family operated fishing and tent/RV campground on a family homestead. Boat and pole rentals, fishing/sightseeing charters, water taxi service to remote fishing areas. Catch salmon from the beach. You may see sea otters, bald eagles and seals from camp. There are also cabin rentals. One is shown in the pic. These are NOT luxury cabins! Seward gets a lot of rain, and we usually took a cabin here. The country store sells bait, tackle, ice, fishing licenses, and souvenirs. The showers were not the best quality - the shower head was on a hose with a water spout at the end - just like what you have on your kitchen sink (same length too). You have to hold the spout in your hand and continuosly hold down the lever to get water. It wasn't very practical...

Directions: Drive south through town (Take 3rd Ave) and make a right at the end. Pass the waterfall and continue on Lowell Point Road. Drive the dirt road for about 10 minutes.

More about Miller's Landing

Stay away if you can

by TripAdvisor Member GregandMimi

My wife and I used Miller's Landing for their water taxi from North Beach back to Miller's Landing. We were told it would be 37.50 for each of us ($75 total). When I got home I found a charge of 94.70 on my credit card. I called back and asked for the price and they gave me the same information. I asked why I was over charged and then the girl told me about a $5 gas fee and $4 park fee and the total is taxed at 2% (even though the park fee is not really taxed). These fees are listed on their web site after I researched it, but don't count on the staff to get their prices right, and get a receipt! Unfortunately we just trusted them to tell us the right info. When we made the reservation the desk person called us 30 min later cuz she couldn't remember what day we wanted to be picked up (good thing we had a cell phone and actually had service when she tried us). We checked at the desk when we arrived and they had my first name as Dave?! We did not camp there, but did use the showers. The showers were a kitchen sink sprayers hanging off a water line. The stalls themselves were dingy and about five layers of paint were peeling off the walls (about 50% cement wall showing). The bathrooms were not much better and piece mealed together. One urinal stood w/ a trashbag over it for two days....I guess facilities maintenance is not their priority. I would never stay at this campground, it is the only one apparently right next to Caines Head and they seem to know they have the market cornered. If I went to Caines Head again I would try to find another boat to return us if needed, or just hike back at low tide. Miller's Landing is very much a joke.

Overcrowded and made for profit

by TripAdvisor Member 4ak

I live in Alaska, and very much enjoy summer outings of fishing and campin on the south central coast. This time, I took my family to Miller's landing campground and back to our home in Wasilla on the same night.

I had booked a trip in advance, with my credit card, to camp for a few days and take the family on a fishing charter. I told them I was driving a large 5th wheel with a longbed crew cab pickup, with a wide truning radius. They said that they had a suitable site, so I booked it and then inquired about charter fishing. I was told that they only charter that week with sufficient space for my family was scheduled for the day after our arrival. That seemed fine, So I booked that too.

When we arrived that evening, the campground was packed so tightly that it wasn't possible to manouver our camper into the designated spot, though technically the trailer would have fit there had it been lifted and dropped into place, or the campground less crowded, and filled with parked vehicles. The clerk was very polite and gave us a refund, and we left, disapointed. After some discussion with my family, we decided that we really didn't think it was feasable to take the fishing charter from millers point when we had been unable to stay there. It would have not have been the trip we had planned and arranged, so we called to cancel the charter. The clerk was apologetic, but said that someone with more authority would have to arrange a refund if possible. The following morning I spoke with one of the charter captains, who flatly refused a refund or other arrangement, implied that we were a sort of no-show and that we had given insufficient notice to expect any consideration (despite our having driven there very much looking forward to the experience, and their having dictated the charter date and campsite).

Millers landing is a beautiful location can certainly be the start of a great adventure. Their prices are very reasonable for Alaska, and the range of services they offer is marvellous. Unfortunately, they seem to me to "pack 'em in" at the campground and seem, on occasion, to lack respect for their clientele. I'll be fishing and camping elsewhere. I suggest that any one considering a similar trip, look hard, ask lots of questions, do some comparison shopping. There are too many nice places in Alaska to get caught up in something like this.

Don't Ever Camp Here

by TripAdvisor Member Merry2006

We booked 2 wooded tent sites for 3 nights at ML This is a place with no pride of ownership of any kind - broken gear, weeds, and totally inadequate restrooms (1 women's sink for the entire campground). We got past those things and set up our sites. The second night of our stay, we arrived back at camp to find my sister's site had been completely taken over by a family. They had unstaked her tent, removed her stove from the table, pitched everything into the bushes next to the road, and placed their gear in its place. When confronted, they insisted that the "Manager/Owner" had been the person that removed the gear and gave them permission to set up. The front office staff seemed genuinely perplexed at this turn of events but they didn't call the owner to verify the story and they didn't tell the people to get out of my sister's prepaid 3-night site. They were contemplating how to fix the issue. To make matters worse, 20 people were now squeezing into 2 sites next to ours, setting tents in the parking area & blocking access to our site. We were told nothing could be done - there were no site limitations. They just seemed relieved when we finally just insisted on a complete refund for both sites so we could get out of that pit that night. The worst camping/customer service experience ever!!!

should have stayed at the city campground

by TripAdvisor Member whislinkong

Will not ever stay again. We managed thru 3 nites, 3 uncontrolled campers running thru everyones sites shooting pellet guns, drunken campers screaming at 3 am the managment screamed back, sites are too close together, everyone walks thru your tent site(no common courtesy), bathrooms and shower, filthy and leave a lot to be desired, we expected more as it was a private campground...we will stay at the city campsites should we visit again. at least we know the facilities will be cleaner. we are avid campers and have used state and private..its so sad when a state run facility with a camp host is cleaner and upkeep is maintained...we expected more as as thier website makes it seem better maintained than what it is.

Credit Card Theft - Miller's Landing Employees

by TripAdvisor Member VictimCreditFraud

In July, our family reserved a cabin at Miller's Landing for a September trip. The charge was posted on July 7 with e-mail confirmation received on July 22. We had to give our credit card number over the phone. On August 9, fraudulent charges began appearing on our credit card, and we were notified of possible fraud by our credit card company. The card was canceled, and since this was the only place we had charged, we contacted them. We did not want to stay at a facility that steals. Today, we called to have our deposit of around $250 refunded. The owner Shirley Miller was extremely rude, accusatory and abusive. She accused us of fraud and said anyone who wouldn't want to stay somewhere because they felt the staff was thieving needed psychiatric care. We are both ill and had planned this trip for quite some time. We can now not go anywhere because of this theft and horrendous abusive behavior. Check your cedit card bill! We only learned of this theft early because our company is on the ball. Do not - please - do not stay at Miller's Landing. We wish we had looked at other reviews of rude staff, unclean facilities. If you are a victim, file FBI fraud alert.

this place sucked

by TripAdvisor Member soibhan

This is one of the worst expereinces we have ever had. We booked for two nights to stay in one of the "camping cabins." We would have been better off camping. There were leaks all over the cabin, it smelled, and there were flies all over outside right next to the door. The second night there was a big storm and the roof started leaking and there was water running down the lighting fixture--not to mention water running all over in other places. We woke up with our blankets soaked. Wait a second, we didn't wake up because we never got to sleep because we were so miserable.

Make your own decision, but we had a blast

by TripAdvisor Member Runderhouse

I was looking over our family vacation destinations from last summer for a work partner who intends to travel to Alaska this year. I stayed with Miller's Landing for five days in two different cabins (apparently July is very busy and they didn't have one available for five days). My kids were thrilled to play with the owner's dog,
"Bullet" who was friendly and around the store. Miller's might have a few drawbacks (in their shower facilities specifically, we WERE glad to have the cabin shower) but the location and view were, for us, bar none the best in Seward. We took a half day charter with the
owner's son on their landing craft, and even our six year old caught fish! The duo crew was very friendly as well, and cut the earbones from a red snapper we caught for my wife and I. I suppose people are likely to have varied experiences on their vacations, but I didn't think Miller's deserved the tripadvisor rating I saw when I looked the site up, which is why I post. Good Luck with your travel decisions, we ARE glad we stayed here.

Comments