Did you mean?Try your search again
Our Members Say
- Reviews: 1
Grand Aleutian: Grand Allusion
This hotel is by far the best place on not only this island, but in the Aleutians generally. But do not think it is all Aleutian (or the locally preferred Unangan) it is not. It is trying to be a mainland grand hotel, but misses the mark, though it is nice enough, and though the staff told me there is no internet, here I am using it now. Maybe they will catch on. Anyway, i am glad to have it, as it is much better than the other option, the library, about a 2 mile hike, and with limited hours and no wireless. The staff needs to catch up on some of the questions that a tourist like me asks. Personally i don't really care that much about WWII or the birds, but the fishing is really interesting, and what this place is about right now. There are no advertised tours on that subject, and the staff were not aware of any offerings either, though i know they exist.
The hotel is clean, and rather ordinary in a holiday Inn sort of way, but that is quite an accomplishment being where it is. I was told by an ex-crab fisherman that at first the hotel would not allow them in their gear to stay here, but then realized that at certian times of the year (when the crabs are out) the crab men are the only takers. The hotel changed its policies. i verified this with te hotel manager and he said yes, but it was because the crabbers were leaving their wet, smelly, and filthy clothes all over the new furniture, which then had to be replaced. Now they offer a cleaning service and the crabbers stay here.
So far, the best things about the hotel is its restaurant, the Chart Room. A wonderful Sunday Brunch, with all the seafood a landlubber ike myself craves. i noticed that people like me ate a lot of the seafood offerings, while the locals and fishermen ate more meat! but the food was great, and lots of other things too, salads, fruit, cheeses and juices, plus desserts. Leave room for it all.
One of the reasons to be in such a place, other than my own research, is to eat some of the fish which Unalaska and Dutch Harbor are known for. Most of what you find in the local places and on the ship that brought me here (the Tursty Tusty) is not fresh, and often fried. Yuck. There is though, at the Grand Aleutian a wonderful brunch on Sunday with all the fresh and smoked fish you can eat, and also a buffet on Wednesday night.
One of the interesting things i observed was that landlubber like me, who have a hankering for fresh fish, fill up their plate with fish, but the local residents, many who are fishermen, eat the meat almost exclusively. There are many meat dishes, but they held little interest for me. You can find all that in Detroit.
Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful
- Resorts In Denali
- Wilderness Lodges In The Middle Of Denali Park. Book Your Stay Today! www.alaskadenalitravel.com/
- Alaska Hotels & Lodges
- Lodging, tours, visitor information rates, photos, reservations & more! www.alaskatravel.com/
- Unalaska Cheap Hotels
- Search and Compare Hotels. Book Online for the Best Rates www.tripbase.com/Unalaska-Hotels
Explore the World
- Unalaska AK Hotels
- Expedia Guarantees the Best Price. Save on Unalaska, Alaska Hotels www.expedia.com/Unalaska_AK_Hotels
- Unalaska Alaska Hotels
- See your Hotel on a City Map. View Deals and Read Guest Reviews www.hotels.com/Unalaska
- Unalaska AK Accommodation
- Big Savings on Unalaska Hotels Call 817-333-5105 or Book Online. unalaska.hotelreservations.com/
- Unalaska AK Hotel
- Get Unalaska Hotel Deals Today. Compare Unalaska Hotels! www.smartertravel.com/cheap/hotels/
- $77 Alaska Hotels
- Save Up To 30% on Alaska Hotels! Compare and Save with Travelzoo. www.travelzoo.com/Alaska
- Book without the gamble!
- Tingo.com If prices drop after you book, Get Money Back automatically!
- Save money, Book now !
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates