Brookside Inn Bed and Breakfast

Ice in front of Columbia GlacierIce in front of Columbia Glacier

Columbia GlacierColumbia Glacier

Ferry question

by fishlady2

We are taking the ferry from Whittier to Valdez and am wondering how much wildlife or glaciers you actually see while going from port to port? Thought I would see what past expierence some of you have had?

Thanks

RE: Ferry question

by raraavis

I only saw salmon jumping out the water and kittyhawks near the port. You are surrounded by glacier.

RE: Ferry question

by jackin

It takes a trained eye to spot them but you might see whales blowing in the distance. ...and you should definitely see a few bald eagles if you key in on the white heads. Both take some experience to identify when you're not actually looking for them.

other good possibilities.
-bears walking on shorelines
-otters
-sealions
-puffins

RE: RE: Ferry question

by JOEVIE

I totaly agree with Jackin, we did this trip begin june !
There are some rangers aboard, who tell you where to look !
Good luck !
greta

RE: RE: Ferry question

by kville.mom

We were considering taking the ferry from Valdez to Whittier. What's the weather likely to be in mid-May? I have requested a Milepost but it have not received it yet. How long does it take on the ferry?

Travel Tips for Valdez

Valdez Tip

by worldtrekker

Getting a head massage from this local. Well, maybe not so much a massage as a scratch! :-) This iguana belonged to the owner of a kayaking outfitter in town. I was there organizing a trip for my group and got to talking with the lady about her lizard since I myself have had iguanas in the past. She came right out and said it wasn't pooping right. ;) I asked what she fed it. She replied that it liked pizza!? I could understand why it was stuffed up. They usually eat plant matter, vegetables, and flowers but not pizza. I took it outside and fed it some dandelions. The woman asked me if I wanted to take it with me. I was tempted, but there was no way I could bring it around Alaska with me for 3 months and I know that not everyone who came on tour with me would have appreciated that. Anyway, once I got it eating right, it would have been pooping all over the upholstery! :-)

Charter a boat!

by Aurora907

You will increase your chances of catching big fish or many fish if you actually go out far on a charter boat. Best chance to catch Halibut. You can also find Salmon, Linkcod or such. If you're really lucky, you can catch something extremely rare and scary looking like a WOLF EEL. I caught one and found out that in sport fishing, the local Valdez boat captains only see maybe 2 or 3 a year! Check out the photo. I made the Valdez newspaper, "The Valdez Star" for my catch! This eel was actually taller than me. If it were a female and she had eggs, they would have been worth $4000-$5000! Be sure to bring good sturdy shoes as the boat may go through rough waters. Also, dress in layers as it can be rainy and cold, or hot as it was last time I went on a charter in August 2004...it was 85 degrees F!

Halibut/Salmon Charters Valdez 907-835-5050

by salmonslayer

Great Halibut fishing with Swifty's B&B Guide Service. Senior Capt Brandon took us out over memorial weekend for Halibut and we limited out as fast as we could pull them in the boat. Wonderful experience. The scenery on the way out is exceptional and the sea life is amazing. While on the water a large group of atleast 50 killer whales passed within a half mile of our boat. Great service, very personalized, small chart (only six people max) which is a very important characteristic. Reasonable prices depending on the type of fishing. They fish halibut, Salmon Sharks and are the biggest Salmon outfit in town. Happy Fishing! They provide all the gear/bait you need.

USFS Salmon Viewpoint

by mht_in_la

Just 1 mile out of town along Richardson Highway is the salmon viewpoint set up by USFS (US Forest Service). Each year in July and August salmon swim up here to spawn. Here you'll find interpretive displays and easy boardwalk for salmon viewing. Maps and guided walks also available.

Prince William Sound

by mht_in_la

Prince William Sound is abundant in marine life, and kayaking is the best way to enjoy them. Kayak is small, quiet, and non-intrusive. You get to see marine life at sea level.

While kayaking in Prince William Sound, we were followed by a few sea otters. These cute little guys were highly curious, a sign of intelligence. They sneaked out of water to peak at us, nibbled at our rudder, then submerged quickly (see sea otter in travelogue).

Comments