Inn At Whittier

FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Not Bad Considering There's Not Much Else

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 1, 2014

The exterior of this property is as beautiful as it looks on their website, but the interior could definitely use some updates - mainly the rooms.
We stayed in an ocean view room and it was definitely worth the premium. The scenery out the window was breathtaking (until the hideous cruise ship showed up...).
The rooms could use some updates - it was definitely not as clean as I would have liked. The carpet looked dirty, old, or both. This was reinforced by my discovery of a ton of dust in the wardrobe that sits behind the door to the room - clearly, housekeeping doesn't close the door while they're in there and peek behind the door. As for comfort, there's no AC, which is fine because the air from the windows is sufficient, but there's no screen. I have a dilemma with whether or not there should be one - on the one hand, it would mess up the pictures you might snap from your room, but on the other hand, while I didn't really see any, I like screens to keep bugs out.
The bathroom was mostly clean, albeit dated. I found a filthy pink-mildew covered anti-slip mat rolled up and stowed in the shower. I later went down to the front desk and requested that it be removed, which they did. He was apologetic and said that it wasn't a frequently used room.
Overall, I found the service at this establishment very friendly, from the front desk to the restaurant and bar, and the housekeeping staff too (I always leave my housekeeping tips daily in case of different personnel... the staff member that received my first tip here left me a note that read "you da bomb". It was the best thank you note from a housekeeper I've ever seen, so I kept it :-)
On the note of service, the only thing I found lacking was that I was struggling with three suitcases out front while my husband parked the car and no one came to help. No one offered to help us with our bags once we lugged them inside and checked in.
Overall, I would stay here again if I get a chance to return to Whittier.

Unique Quality: On the big steel tower next door, there's a bald eagle that just hangs out there. My husband named him JerkFace because Husband just wanted a picture of him flying and we never saw him take off all weekend.

Directions: First property on the left after the tunnel

Nearby Inn At Whittier

• Wheelchair Accessible
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free Parking

Whittier Travel Forum

Need advice about Whittier, Alaska? Visit the Travel Forum for Whittier and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Whittier