Canyon de Chelly National Monument Hotels

Our Members Say

• toonsarah profile photo toonsarah
  • Reviews: 3504

Best Western, Canyon de Chelly Inn: Welcomed to Chinle

We stayed just one night in Chinle, at what was then the Canyon de Chelly Motel but has since been taken over by Best Western and renamed an inn. Looking at the website however, it doesn’t seem much changed. It’s a typical lower/mid-priced motel such as you find all over the US, and has a pool and restaurant on the premises. After a hot and busy day exploring, we appreciated both, and had a quick swim to refresh ourselves before dinner. My diary notes that my dinner of halibut was good, but our most positive memory of the motel is the friendly welcome we received, as we were just about the only non-Navajo guests, others having been scared off by the mystery illness that had hit the Reservation a few weeks earlier. This we had decided ourselves to ignore – partly because our plans were made and we were determined to stick to them and to visit the sights of this region, such as the Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley; and partly because all the news stories told us that only Navajo people seemed to be affected. And we were pleased that we did – no harm befell us, we had a pleasant stay both here and at our other stop further north (Mexican Hat, UT), and the sights we saw were among the highlights of our trip.

The Inn is four miles from the Canyon. The current price for a double room in June (when we stayed) is $109. This is only a little cheaper than the Thunderbird Lodge which is located within the National Monument, whereas when we visited there was more discrepancy and this was definitely the budget option. You might want to check both out before deciding. The Canyon de Chelly Inn’s website is below, and the Thunderbird Lodge is at www.tbirdlodge.com/.

• Written February 26, 2010

• BruceDunning profile photo BruceDunning
  • Reviews: 3595

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Roadway Inn-Hwy 66: GAllup is A Long way Off

It was not very appealing. The room had a musty/dusty odor, and seemed like not cleaned as often as it should have been Ask why I stayed here? I could not find a closer location on line from Petrified Forest to Canyon de Chelly unless I backtracked to Holbrook. Maybe should have done so, but reservatoin were locked in. Besides I wanted to see the scenery on this side of the territory, and stop off at Hubbell Trading Post on Hwy 264 toward Hwy 191.

Had a fridge and microwave and coffee in lobby with lousy continental breakfast.. The unique part is the foreign family and the lobby smelled like curry and they really did not care if you were pleased or not for the stay. They have construction workers and long term stays if that tells you something. Price was $45 and tax.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written October 17, 2009

Building of motel

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5929

Canyon de Chelly Campground: don't mind the stray dogs

Canyon de Chelly's campground is an unusual one as far as being part of the National Park system. First off, it is free and entirely first-come first-serve. It is also not staffed. What remains is a very basic facility though at the current price, one cannot argue too much. Though in a very arid area, there are ample trees to provide good shade, restrooms are fairly modern and kept surprisingly clean. Drinking water is provided via faucets that locals seem to use as much as campers. Though a pleasant enough place in its own right, something just seems a bit off about it. We felt a bit nervous about leaving our gear there so actually took our sleeping bags and mats with us, using the tent to mark our territory.

We had a group of guys next to us who had come with their sons. They were a bit noisy but generally got to bed fairly early so it wasn't a big deal. It did lend some sense of a real campground having them there too. Alcoholic beverages were not allowed in the campground which put a bit of a damper on our normal routine of having a beer with our meals after a day of hiking. We had bought a small amount before coming and wound up drinking one each night in our car, feeling a bit like criminals in the process. We could only guess that this ban had something to do with it being on a Native American Reservation but still a strange rule for what is still a National Park. Being on a tight budget, we stayed for three nights since it was free and the park kept us busy enough despite restrictions of entering the canyon without a guide.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Camping, National/State Park, Budget Travel
  • Written August 5, 2009
Tip Photo

we kind of got used to him after a few days

• lonegranger profile photo lonegranger
  • Reviews: 23

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Spider Rock Campground: Camp up the road is clean, friendly and peaceful.

I camped there here on my way to Zion Canyon. I was there in mid June 2008 and there were only a few RV''s and me. Howard, the camp host, lives here and is Navajo. there is a shower and internet access for a few dollars more. I found the campground clean, peaceful and homey. There are fire pits and picnic tables and the sites are very large. The toilets are vault toilets except for flush one in the office. Wireless is also availble much to my surprise. There is also a Hogan and sweat lodge and the Hogan (traditional Navajo housing structure) can be rented. It is a few miles from town and as you drive to the camp you can visit all the wonderful overlooks into CAnyon de Chelly. Pandhandlers don't come out this far. The terrain is red sand with Juniper and Sage brush all around.

• Related to: National/State Park, Archeology, Camping
  • Written June 21, 2008

• lonegranger profile photo lonegranger
  • Reviews: 23

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Spider Rock Campground: Camp up the road is clean, friendly and peaceful.

• Written June 21, 2008

• Basaic profile photo Basaic
  • Reviews: 7790

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Best Western Chinle: Try the Best Western Chinle

The first thing that struck me about the hotel was the staff. They were adequately friendly and efficient. The next thing I noticed was the interesting southwest touches to the decor. My room was actually kind of pretty. My friend Brian and I had a great nights sleep. There is even a great restaurant colocated with the hotel. See my tip for the Junction Restaurant. Price was okay with my military discount.

Heated indoor pool, free Internet.

• Related to: National/State Park, Road Trip, Family Travel
  • Written August 1, 2007

Best Western Chinle Room

• meowens profile photo meowens
  • Reviews: 7

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holiday Inn Chinle: Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly - Garcia Trading Post

If you're going to take in Canyon de Chelly you will definitely want to make a hotel reservation. When we were there we neglected to do this as we hadn't planned a stop here. When we got into town, there were only 2 hotels. We were fortunate enough to snap up the last room at the Holiday Inn.
Our room was very large and the bed was heavenly!!! We didn't eat at the restaurant so I don't know how the food is really. We did, however, order the Navajo fry bread to the room and it was excellent.
The room was immaculate and very very quiet despite the full capacity of the hotel. The pool could have used a cleaning, but it was outdoor so I suppose a certain amount of sand grit is to be expected due to the environment.
Overall, great stay......we would definitely stay here again.

AWESOME BED!!!

• Related to: National/State Park, Road Trip, Historical Travel
  • Written November 5, 2006

• goodfish profile photo goodfish
  • Reviews: 1169

Thunderbird Lodge: Closest to the Canyon

This motel is closest to the canyon entrance and Visitor Center. Three miles from Chinle, the adobe structures sit on the site of an old trading post and has a campground nearby. Sorry, I don't have a picture.

Rooms were clean, comfortable, decorated in southwest colors and sand paintings but don't appear to have been updated since we were there in 2004. While nothing special, it was perfectly fine for one night, and very quiet in the evenings; good for lounging outside in the patio chairs they provided.

The cafeteria-style restaurant was deserted and the offerings looked positively fossilized so we took one look and fled to Chinle for dinner. Current reviews unfortunately indicate that nothing much has changed there. Junction Restaurant in town is getting good reviews so you might give that a shot if staying in the area.

The motel also offers tours of the canyon in heavy, 6-wheel, open-bed trucks (affectionately called "Shake and Bakes") driven by Navajo guides.

Chinle, while very close, is probably not a place you'd otherwise choose to spend any time in, and there are only two other hotel properties there: a Best Western and a Holiday Inn. Both are getting decent ratings and both have a pool, free wifi, fitness room and other nice amenities lacking at Thunderbird so give those a look wanting more goodies - especially if traveling with a family.

The sale of alcohol is prohibited in the Navaho Nation so there are no watering holes in town.

Also note a very high combined Arizona and tribal lodging tax of 19+% at all hotels.

While fine for us in 2004, lack of recent renovations, improvement in their cafeteria offerings or amenities versus those offered at the other area properties would probably place this one last on my list if prices were reasonably comparable. Prices change per type or room, amount of guests in one room and season so see the website for info.

• Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip, National/State Park
  • Written July 18, 2005
Tip Photo

• lareina profile photo lareina
  • Reviews: 140

Thunderbird Lodge: Closest to the Canyon

I stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge in late March and had no problem getting a room. The room was clean and simple and the grounds were well-maintained. My room faced into a courtyard and I had two patio chairs to sit on and enjoy the warm evening. There is a free campground next door, but this is the closest hotel/motel to Canyon de Chelly.

Cafeteria, gift shop, tours.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written April 13, 2004

• MarkJochim profile photo MarkJochim
  • Reviews: 244

Camping at Canyon de Chelly

Campsites are available at no charge on a first-come, first-served basis year-round. Reservations for group sites of 15 or more people can be made by contacting the Monument. No reservations are accepted for RV groups. Backcountry camping is allowed with an authorized guide.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written April 17, 2003
Tip Photo

Canyon de Chelly (Mark Jochim 8/11/94)

• smoox profile photo smoox
  • Reviews: 793

There is NOT much...

There is NOT much accommodation availabe. Thunderbird Lodge is great, but you´ll have to book well in advance. Also, there´s a campground near the visitors center.

• Written October 4, 2002