37220 Mule Train Road, Carefree, Arizona, 85377, United States

Booking.com CheapTickets.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Costs 140% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Excellent pool for dating singles...awesome golf!

We decided to go beyond Scottsdale and ended up at the Arts and Craft Fair at the Carefree Resort and Villas where my wife and her friends were able to buy very affordable watches and accessories. The resort itself which is at an elevation of 2,500 feet, is amazing. I was amazed the pool scene on the July 4th day, as the pool was filled at lunchtime with lots of young “dating-age” people --- there were only a handful of kids. I guess this is more like an “adult” pool scene.
    But, this resort does offer a lot, including unique hiking experiences, challenging cycling routes, world-class golf (nearby Legend Trail, designed by Rees Jones), and gorgeous sunsets. And they do have a rejuvenating spa… signature body treatments, facials, manicures, pedicures, and Babymoon packages
    The resort is located in the Sonoron Desert, nestled in the heart of Tonto National Forest. It is only minutes from The Spanish Village and El Pedregal at Carefree, two fun-filled shopping and dining destinations. And although it did feel far as we were heading north from Scottsdale, this place is only 35 miles to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX).

More about Carefree Resort & Villas

excellent accommodations and wonderful staff

by TripAdvisor Member moffo

I was on business at the Carefree Resort & Villas for three days on intense training. From the time I approached the front door to every employee I encountered, each one was pleasant, helpful, and smiled..... I was so blown away by their service that I decided to stay a few more days. I stay in many (5) star resorts and would recommend the resort to my friends. I am planning on returning with my family. Each staff member went out of their way for me and other people with my group. Keep up the good work... I will make sure that more of my meetings come your way.

Great Place To Stay

by TripAdvisor Member acflagstaff

People who complain about the resort fees are not all too intelligent. Every resort has a resort fee. It's pretty standard across the board. So you know when you book a resort that there will be additional fees when you arrive. It usually pays for maintenance of the grounds, etc.... Actually, I believe the Carefree Resort and Villas only charges $12/day. I've been charged up to $20/day for the resort fees........On to the resort. Very nice place. Great staff. was upgraded to a villa because room wasn't ready by check-in time. (along with 2 free drinks from the bar.) Would totally stay there again!!!!!

Pleasantly surprized

by TripAdvisor Member chasmir

After reading the reviews here, I lowered my expectations considerably regarding the service and was pleasantly surprised. I attended a medical meeting and stayed in the villas, which is a three minute ride from the main building. The shuttle service was amazing. I didn't have to wait more than two minutes from ordering a pick-up by phone and the shuttle even took me to the shopping areas in Carefree / Cave Creek - lots of stores with Indian art and jewelery. The desert landscaping around the villas is very aesthetic and the lobby is fully of all types of geological wonders. The villas were of an enormous size, but rather plainly decorated and equipped. Don't expect to get a lot of help from the front desk during the night shift, they couldn't figure out how to send a fax to an international number. I

Carefree is careless

by TripAdvisor Member Colorado5

We rented a villa for our family. We were impressed with the quality of our villa. Nicely decorated, spacious. We booked a king bed and we were given double beds instead. We were not impressed with the hotel part of the property. The entrance to the property looks impressive but it is a facade. This property is average at best and the service we experienced was horrible. I felt bad for the service staff because I don't blame them. On the web site, they claim they have a kids club. We even asked the front desk staff when we arrived and were told that there was indeed a kids club. Well, they don't have a kids club. Also they claim to have a list of child care sitting services and we were told that they don't have this service. Beware of their website. It is very misleading to the point of being downright false. We felt like for what we paid per night that the amenities and service was poor. Take our advice and pay a little more, $450.00 plus and make your stay somewhere else more enjoyable and worth the expense. Several times we had to request for basics for our villa and it would take several phone calls and several hours to get what we needed. We would not recommend this place to anyone and we would never stay here again.

Just awful.

by TripAdvisor Member kachinachris

We were very disappointed with this old relic of a hotel. The rooms are dated, dirty and musty, Staff is neither plentiful nor helpful. A/C was as old as the hills. If you want a pleasant, relaxing vacation stay at The Boulders (nearby resort).

Nice hotle

by TripAdvisor Member coronella

Stayed one night with wife in Casita. The room was excellent, 2 rooms, Ca King bed, and all amentities. Spent time at nice pool. Service was slow to non-existant at pool (BYOB). Overall, a good experience - close to Golfing and downtown Carefree.

Surprised by undisclosed fees!

by TripAdvisor Member daypm

We had a really nice average weekend here to celebrate Father's day, 2007. As local residents, we were enticed by an ad in the East Valley Tribune entitled "A Salute to AZ residents, all summer long...resort rooms from $79...". We checked out the web site, the "resort" looked nice so we booked the room and the customer service rep confirmed room rate at $79 over the phone. I called again to ensure room rate was indeed only $79 and a different person confirmed the rate. Both reps FAILED to disclose a "resort fee" and a "room sales tax fee" which was separate from the sales tax. Otherwise we had a good time, staff was great upon arrival, dinner and service at the Lariat Grill on the resort was fantastic, the pool was much smaller than portrayed on the web site and their “deluxe guest room” was clean and a good size but did not have the wow factor. The web site made us feel we were going to a real nice hotel but upon arrival we felt like we were at a very average hotel. Despite being disappointed by what we saw on the web vs. reality, we had a great weekend until check out which put a damper on our spirits since there was $25-30 in undisclosed hidden fees. When we questioned the undisclosed resort fee to the front desk lady, she asked for the ad and we showed it and the front desk lady said it was disclosed with "Restrictions may apply"....I guess that is code for “Hidden Fees” in the hotel industry!!! There was no attempt to on her part to apologize for the fees or even call her manager and for $30 we didn’t feel it was necessary to cause a scene but we certainly felt that we fell prey to false advertising. Later that day we called other hotel competitors in the same newspaper page of hotel ads and found that some resorts do charge the resort fee and some don't but if they did charge it, they DID disclose it. So buyers beware, always ask what the "restrictions" are or be surprised like us with additional fees that we would be happy to pay if we had known about it. If we wanted to pay for what turned to be over $100 a night, we would have stayed in Scottsdale or Sedona!

Big Disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member FamilyTravler_7

Attended a business conference and brought my wife and 2 teen-agers for a summer vacation. Our room was surprisingly small and noisy, with a view only of the service entrance. Very loud air conditioner and early morning trucks ensured we got little sleep. Several courteous requests to change rooms were condescendingly declined or ignored, with desk staff saying nothing else was available, which we learned was not true. Other problems: kids used pool once but it was so cloudy and unkept looking they would not go back in. Trash and debris remained on pool deck and tables all day. My son and daughter wanted to use the tennis court (additional charge) but it closed at 7 p.m. when it was still too hot to play, so they brought their racquets for nothing. Room TV was the smallest I've ever seen in a hotel, about a 17 inch. Only pluses: the food and service at conference lunches was very good, and our request for a refrigerator in our room was honored, although they charged for it. My wife was so disappointed with this dismal "resort" she avoided it as much as possible by taking the kids to Scottsdale every day (30 miles away). Overall, it was ok for my business meetings but not a relaxing or family friendly place. Interestingly, there was no "feedback" card to fill in at check-out and when I asked the front desk for one, I was told they would send me an e-mail for that purpose and the clerk wrote down my e-mail address. Nothing so far.

Nothing special.

by TripAdvisor Member Dessert_Rat

My biggest complaint with this resort was lack of parking. I had the unfortunate timing to plan my trip during a large convention that was taking place at the resort. We left for lunch one day and upon our return we had to park on the street and then walk about ½ mile to the lobby. It was 108F and we were traveling with two small children so the walk was quite unpleasant.

Other issues:
$15 Resort Fee – For what? Towels by the pool and Internet access.
$12 to play tennis.
Only 4 umbrellas by the pool when it is 108F and sunny.
Very noisy A/C in the room.
Inattentive staff – I was sitting by the pool for hours and not one person stopped by for a food or drink order. Also, the mini bar by the pool was never staffed.

• Apr 8, 2014 at 12:36 AM

This used to be a unique place. Fireside chats with local Indians, families being able to roast marshmallows around the fire, two bars. This place has become outdated, rude, rule heavy. No bathtubs, even though it has been suggested numerous times. Bad selection on TV. It can be noisy as well. As I reserved my room with a debit card, they expect the full balance to be on there for your ENTIRE stay, even though you pay for it at the end of your stay. I had to ask my son to "guarantee" my stay! I've been coming here for eight years! Have never been so humiliated! Each year I arrive hoping to find things improved, and each year I'm more disappointed. There will be no next year for me. Pick another place, as this one has no idea how to treat a loyal guest!!!