34631 N Tom Darlington Dr, Carefree, Arizona, 85377, United States
The Boulders, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Expedia.com Booking.com Tingo.com

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Boulders Resort And Golden Door Spa

The Boulders and Hyatt Regency...

by lygchicana

The Boulders and Hyatt Regency Resort, Scottsdale. Something for every member of the family at the Hyatt Scottsdale. Golf, tennis, horseback riding. Kids &/or grandchildren have there own mini-camp with beach adjacent to the resort pools. Loverly views.
We recommend The Boulders for a romantic getaway for lovers or a honeymoon destination for newlyweds.

The Boulders is beautiful!

My husband and I stayed at the Boulders the weekend before Christmas and had a wonderful time. One of the previous reviews which called it a pile of rocks couldn't be more wrong. The grounds are gorgeous and well-maintained, the standard room had a fireplace, great view and a big bathroom, and the service was outstanding. Highly recommend a massage at the Golden Door, and definitely take the nature walk to learn about the dessert vegetation.

While in New Mexico, there are...

by spicy_apple

While in New Mexico, there are many activities to do. I would recommend seeing Carlsbad Caverns if you are in the southern section of the state. The park offers guided or self guided tours into the caves. I recommend taking the self guided tour which begins in the 'bat cave'. This is where the bats emerge at night for feeding. It is cool and damp inside so a sweater would be helpful. They also offer tour cassettes and headphones for information on the caverns many sites. I did not rent one, but recommend it if you go without a guide. There a multiple tours/cave sites, but the one I did took 2 hours to do.
The sizes of the caverns are mind-bending. I walked throughout the caves and 'rooms', and I was surprised with the immense dimensions of the stalactites, stalagmites, and boulders. I was in rooms that were the size of auditoriums or aircraft hangers. The silence is deafening and the darkness is eerie...

METEOR CRATER

by mad4travel

The Crater is a gigantic hole in the middle of the arid sandstone of the Arizona desert.

A rim of smashed and jumbled boulders, some of them the size of small houses, rises 150 feet above the level of the surrounding plain. The crater itself is nearly a mile wide, and 570 feet deep.

When Europeans first discovered the crater, the plain around it was covered with chunks of meteoritic iron - over 30 tons of it, scattered over an area 8 to 10 miles in diameter.

Scientists now believe that the crater was created approximately 50,000 years ago. The meteorite which made it was composed almost entirely of nickel-iron, suggesting that it may have originated in the interior of a small planet.

It was 150 feet across, weighed roughly 300,000 tons, and was traveling at a speed of 40,000 miles per hour. The force generated by its impact was equal to the explosion of 20 million tons of TNT.

Apparantly Neil Armstrong practised for the moon landings in the crater, but quite frankly if I had a pound for every place I've been in the world where Neil Armstrong supposedly practised for the moon landings I would be a rich woman!

WHAT A State!!

by jimandmarcus

We've covered quite a bit of Arizona, in two trips in 2006 & 2007. Flagstaff, Phoneix, Tucson, North, South, East, and West. For anyone east of the Mississippi, Arizona is like another planet. Little you find there is like the East.
The Saguaro cactus is worth the drive, not to mention the fabulous rock formations, and certainly not Grand Canyon. On ouur trips we were overnight only in Flagstaff and Chandler.
I must say we weren't impressed with Flagstaff, but possibly we didn't see the right parts of the city.
We went to the Canyon twice, and on both trips we stopped to shop with the Navajo traders. They have beautiful pottery and jewelry, and most of their places of business are simple plywood shacks with no electricity or water. But they DO take visa & mastercard!!!
We stopped at Texas Canyon not far across the New Mexico line. This place is unlike anywhere I've seen, even the rest of arizona. Rather than a rocky base,with loose rocks on it, this is a system of huge boulders almost like they werew piled by a giant dump truck. Some are stacked one on top of each other, some five or six high, as though God was playing with them.

We intend to go back this year. There is so much left to see, and Arizona is definetly worth the trip.

Not all it's cracked up to be...

by TripAdvisor Member ArizonaTraveler

I just returned from the Boulders Resort and Spa and found it doesn't live up to the hype. The scenery and grounds are very nice. The service for the most part is also good. The concierge seemed fake and more interested in selling us the most expensive packages available than truly helping us find what we're looking for. The rest of the staff was very accomodating. As for the inside. The spa and lobby are very nice and very clean. The pools were a bit small and it didn't seem that someone was dedicated to keeping them clean throughout the day. Towards the evening they accumulated alot of dirt at the bottom. The casitas were definitely spacious but are in need of renovation. Our room also had a good amount of bugs. I expected some because of the location but we found much more than a luxury resort should have. In general the rooms need a little updating, the service is great, it's not family friendly but nice for couples. (as long as the bugs are dealt with)

Very relaxing holiday

by TripAdvisor Member Traveller_UK35

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful two week stay at the Boulders resort and spa. The hotel is only a short drive from Scottsdale but occupies a fabulous position in the desert. It feels perfectly isolated and is built in a way which is very sympathetic to its surrounding area.

The rooms are large, clean and well equipped. They are however definitely in need of a refurb. For example the shower was one of the worst I have ever experienced - alternately freezing and scalding me and I needed to wear earplugs to sleep through the noise of the airconditioning. Despite this it was a very romantic room, complete with leather armchairs sitting beside a wonderful open fire. Our room had a very private outlook but we did notice that some of the rooms were directly overlooked by the fairly busy walkways. It may be worth checking when you book.

The pool areas were lovely and have a great view over the dramatic piles of boulders - great for spotting coyotes. The spa is also fantastic and has a very well equipped gym and pilates studio for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

Although there are plenty of wonderful places to eat in Scottsdale the award winning restaurant within the hotel is definitely worth a visit. My husband enjoyed some fabulous steaks there and they were more than happy to provide me with several different vegetarian meals.

The real winner of course is the amazing scenery and huge variety of wildlife. You get to experience both these aspects in abundance when playing on one of the two stunning golf courses. I can also recommend booking the sunset horse ride - it is a truly unforgettable experience.

All in all this was a great holiday. especially as a romantic break for two. It is definitely not for anyone who wants to be up partying until dawn and may be a little quiet for children. I am, however, more than happy to recommend the Boulders as a stunning, relaxing holiday destination which I look forward to returning to in the near future.

Amazing Service and Rooms

by TripAdvisor Member Golfer919

Had a very enjoyable stay at the Boulders. Bellmen remember your name and room number. The place is so spread out with Casitas scattered among the golf course and boulders, that the golf carts are a must. But never waited more than 5 min for a ride.
Rooms are very nice, and bathroom is huge with walk in closet. Shower has Speakman head that gushes water and makes you feel great after a day on the beautiful links. The main pool was our only disappointment, and
definitely could use an update. It also had bees that wouldn't leave us alone.
Scenery is magnificent everywhere in the resort. Don't miss the South golf course and Rosie's Rock and the huge boulders mountain on #6 I believe.
Never dined at the Resort, but lots of guests were. Ate at Cartwright's in Cave Creek for dinner, and loved their Mixed Grill and unbelievable Creamed Spinach. There are several other famous establishments in Cave Creek.
Moved into Scottsdale for 3nts to the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, which is a huge hotel, and better for couples with kids than the Boulders.
Tried to play golf at Wei-Ko-Pa, but they had tournament going on. So we played at Troon North Pinnacle Course, and found it lots more difficult than their original Monument Course.
Weather week of the 7th of June was way below normal temps, and thoroughly enjoyed our week in the Phoenix area. Beware of road construction around Scottsdale Road and the 101 Loop. Best way to the Boulders from Phx airport is take 51 North to 101East to Scottsdale Rd/Cave Creek Rd North

Superior Experience!

by TripAdvisor Member jimchris

Truly a wonderful experience staying @ the Boulders! My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and wanted to stay somewhere that we could be pampered and have a private experience. The Boulders met our every expectation. The service is simply outstanding! I booked the room on-line and took advantage of a reduced "web only" rate. I asked for a private room and we were given Casita #363. The room was detached and very private..highly recommend it. The setting of the resort is beautiful. They have taken advantage of the natural surroundings.

The rooms are well appointed...large tub, fireplace, etc.

We did not eat on site, but spoke to others who really enjoyed the experience.

Every service experience from the front desk, to the concierge, the bellmen, to the gals working in the gift shop was outstanding.

Highly recommend this resort to others looking for a private experience only a short drive north of Scottsdale.

Top of the heap

by TripAdvisor Member Sweetpatoot

Anyone who doesn't like The Boulders needs a taste transplant. Top notch service in an unmatched setting, both majestic and relaxing.

Comments