Chandler: Named after a veterinarian!
Dr. Alexander J. Chandler first came to Arizona in 1887 as the first territorial veterinary surgeon. Interested in ranching and land development, he accumulated 18,000 acres of land south of the town of Mesa.
He develpoped irrigation techniques in the area, and played a large role in getting the Roosevelt Dam funded and constructed. Farmers in the Salt River Valley used this as a dependable source of water.
Dr. Chandler planned a town on his ranch, and on May 17, 1912, started selling parcels of land and the town of Chandler was born. More about him can be found at the Chandler Museum which is near a park named after him. The Jazz Festival in April 2009