Garcia Trading Post, Chinle, Arizona, 86503, United States

IHG Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• kop-queen's Profile Photo

Good Quality & Comfort

We stayed here in 2005 and again 2009. Excellent facilities and accomodation, comfy beds - Holiday Inns are fast becoming my first choice. Good restaurant and gift shop. We had read mixed reviews of the staff here and did find that some of the reception and restaurant staff were less than forthcoming but for there were also very nice ones. Just at the entrance to Canyon de Chelly and easy to booke tour guides in giftshop.

Unique Quality: On the doorstep of Canyon de Chelly

Directions: between Chinle and Canyon de Chelly

• Hanau93's Profile Photo

Beautiful, Peaceful Hotel

At the time we stayed in Chinle it was the beginning of March and it was ratherr peaceful as the main tourist season hadn't started yet. .The hotel was beautiful and the rooms were well kept.

Unique Quality: It's very close to the Canyon de Chelly

• dila's Profile Photo

great inn

we were here at 11.00 and could allready check in.
    the room sare good but as most of the hotels,inn.... we only use it to sleep

More about Holiday Inn Canyon De Chelly

Dated in need of some remedial work

by TripAdvisor Member chchester

Superb location for visiting the Canyon the next day.

Bathrooms needed some upgrading work but was acceptable and clean.

Breakfast was an additional charge, but reasonable choice and not that much over-priced.

another country

by TripAdvisor Member Anne123

No problem at all with the physical environment of this hotel - room large and decent, grounds well kept, very clean guest laundry which was much appreciated. Housekeeping style and service rather eccentric for an american hotel. Out of four meals in the restaurant we received satisfactory service only once. There were errors with meals, with bills including being given someone else's credit card, and very slow service. We stayed for two nights and both our beds were stripped early in the morning with bedding piled on chairs. They were not made up again until late afternoon which made it virtually impossible to use the room during the day. Definitely another country!

Quite nice and very convenient

by TripAdvisor Member Jonkwl

We spent a night here last week. It was probably one of the nicest Holiday Inn's we've ever stayed in. Room was clean and spacious. Grounds are nicely maintained. It is about a 2 minute drive from the Canyon de Chelly Visitor Center. Some of the other reviewers complained of the service. I believe some of that is due to cultural differences of the Navajo people. As another reviewer said, it is another country. That is true as it is on the Navajo reservation.
We ate dinner in the restaurant and found it to be acceptable. There aren't a lot of other choices in Chinle. I had the Navajo taco. It was a little heavy on the beans for my taste, but the flat bread that made the base was quite good. We would certainly stay here again.

Good location - service a bit shaky

by TripAdvisor Member DexterHaven

We stayed for 2 nights in late September. Comfortable and clean room. There is a pool, but during our stay the bottom was rather slimy, and we were not tempted to go into it a second time. However, we did find the free-to-use guest laundry next to the pool useful.
We were disturbed by noise from the neighbouring rooms on both nights, so I guess the walls must be pretty thin.
The staff were pleasant enough but seemed somewhat disengaged from the process of looking after their guests. This was particularly the case in the restaurant, where we managed to get what we wanted, but other guests seemed to be having problems.
By European standards the hotel was reasonable value for money, but did not compare well with some other hotels we stayed in during our visit to the US. On the other hand, there are not very many alternatives near the Canyon de Chelly, so we would probably stay there again if wanted to visit it again.

Canyon de Chelly

by TripAdvisor Member DaveHodgins

A fairly basic Holiday Inn close to Canyon de Chelly. Stayed one night in July and found rooms service & dining all adequate or better. Pleasant pool.
Remember there is no alcohol available which for the thirsty Irish tourist slightly ruins dinner!
Thoroughly enjoyed hearty breakfast before hiking down into the canyon.
Highly satisfactory only minor problem was a short search for a working ice machine for the white wine.

much better then expected

by TripAdvisor Member JRO

I stayed here one night in mid October on a tour through the canyons of Northern AZ and was very pleasantly surprised. During this trip, my lodgings ran the gamut and I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. This has to be one of the nicer Holiday Inns that I’ve stayed in; and as I’m usually not a Holiday Inn customer (bad experiences from years ago) it impressed me enough to think of taking another look at this chain. My room was spotless and roomy, the bed comfy, and the bath very accommodating. There were good amenities, i.e. adequate toiletries and linens, iron and board, alarm clock, nice collection of local info. I did not use the pool or laundry, so I cannot comment here. I had dinner at the restaurant which was just fine, and my wait staff was very friendly and anxious to please. Yes, this is the Navajo Nation, but it is not a different country! Like any civilized society, I imagine rude behavior is just that – whether on the part of the host or the guest. I live in Charleston, SC and trust me when I tell you that people on vacation can be thoughtless. I digress; the only trouble I experienced was with the concierge. He was clueless of the ranch (2 miles down the road) that I needed to contact due to very inclement weather. Whereas I’m sure he isn’t intimate with every citizen of Chinle, it’s just not that big a town – especially interrelated business ventures. Hmm… Other than that small annoyance, it was a very pleasant experience. Yes, I will stay with them again.

Problems!!!

by TripAdvisor Member trueblue40

The service was poor. We had a problem with the keys not working. Five trips back to the office were made. Each time the clerk expressed wonderment that they did not work but continued to give us keys that did not work even with various hotel staff trying out the keys. Finally, the desk clerk personnel changed. After one more non working key set, he changed the code and eureka, this worked. Why wasn't this done before and saved us two hours of our time walking back and forth to the office to resolve the problem?

We ordered food from the room menu. Two items were missing. The dining room person said the menu had been changed but they had not changed the menu in the room. One item had been removed.(yet, the price remained the same!) and the other item, she said, was not included on the original menu. After much conversation and waiting as she checked with the dining room manager, we were given the one item. Back to the room and upon checking the room menu we found the dining room person was mistaken, the second item was included. So back to the dining room, more conversation, more waiting and finally, we got the additional missing item. It wasn't worth the wait as not only was the food cold but it was mediocre at best.

Comments