Best Western Pony Soldier Hotel

Travelocity Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Best Western Pony Soldier Hotel

Avoid This One

We stayed one night early May of this year. The price seemed good (79.00) The room size was fine--but that was about the only thing fine. The worst was the horrible smell. We walked into our room and the whole room smelled like a very old, very dirty carpet with mildew. We asked for another room. The front desk person was very very nice, and gave us another room. The smell was just a tiny bit better, but it still reeked. We figured we would tough it out for one night. Went and bought a fan at Sav-On, to help with the ventilation. The train woke us up several times a night--very loud.

Do you like trains? Then this is the hotel for you...

by TripAdvisor Member CentILMatt

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay at this establishment. The lobby was roomy and clean; the desk staff were friendly and very helpful.

We had a second floor room, but were unable to find an elevator in the property, so keep that in mind if you have issues with stairs.

Our room was clean and the furnishings didn't look tired. Room size is very small, compared to many other Best Western rooms we've been in. We had 1 queen bed, which seemed to take up well over 50% of the "living space" in our room. No problems at all with mildew smells, as was mentioned in a previous review.

Breakfast was served in the back of an adjacent restaurant; the usual basic "free breakfast" stuff - cereals, toast, bagels, juices, etc.

Pool closed up at 7 PM, before we arrived to check in. Appeared to be a very nice one - wish the hours would have been till 9 or 10.

BEWARE THE TRAINS! Worst part of our stay here...there is a train track running parallel to Route 66 right in front of this hotel. We had a terrible night; were not able to get sound sleep, because it seemed like a train was racing through town about every 30-45 minutes. If you stay here and are not a sound sleeper, I recommend earplugs.

Train Noise Imminent

by TripAdvisor Member cones14

The room was clean but small, and the hotel is directly across the street from railroad tracks, which run trains around the clock. On top of the actual engine noise, the trains "toot" all the way through town--no matter what time of night! Only stay here if you're a REALLY sound sleeper.

train noise

Trains were a problem as they run 24hrs and hoot as they go through the railroad crossing just a little way from the hotel, some drivers more enthusiastic than others. Apart from that the room was small but for $5 pn we upgraded to a suite and it was great. Breakfast was good and a good base for exploring the area. We found the staff very helpful.

Overpriced Dump - Stay Away

by TripAdvisor Member Sukki007

This was rated 3 Diamonds by AAA, versus the 2 Diamonds awarded to the other B.W. in town B.W. Kings House (see review), and it was more expensive. I prefer to stay in only 3 Diamonds or above, but this is not the first time I've experienced this peculiar switcheroo from AAA: this place is a horrible, dreary, even scary dump.

Luckily, we asked to see the room before registering, and it was awful: small, dark, old, dank, depressing, almost like a flophouse. Flagstaff at night doesn't ever feel too safe, anyway, and I don't think I could have slept a wink. We fled as quickly as we could, and ended up at the Kings House, which turned out to be a positive move.

Buy ear plugs

by TripAdvisor Member dblev76

My stay at the Best Western Pony Soldier was not terrible, but was not the best stay I've had at a hotel either. The main problem my wife and I had was the train keeping us up at night. The hotel is located across the street from train tracks so you knew each time a train came passing through. If you stay here, my suggestion is buy some ear plugs. The price was not bad, because we got a good rate on hotwire. The breakfast was simple, but good. The staff was friendly, and the room was clean. Overall the only real complaint I had about my stay there was the train. If you can tolerate noise then you will like this hotel.

I couldn't believe this was a Best Western

by TripAdvisor Member ABQ_Car_Traveler

My ex-wife suggested this place via cell phone as our daughter and I were returning to New Mexico from California a trip we took to see our son's family in early May 2007. Well, my ex-wife finally got even with me. Our daughter had a good attitude, but I could not believe this place, a filthy horrid dump. Yes, I should have looked at room first. I don't travel much, I didn't know Best Westerns could be bad. I do now, I know it quite well now. The bad: dirty dirty carpets everywhere, smallish dark dirty rooms without fresh air of any kind, hot or cold, ugly everywhere, I thought it was unsafe feeling. Cars not available out the door (room access from interior hallway), lousy wierd general area, train noise and train horn noise unbelievable. 84 dollars including tax is a whole bunch in my idea of travel budget for one night at a motel. Our daugher was thinking I was cheap, so I just paid it. I didn't know our room would be plenty hard to deal with at 24 dollars and at 84 dollars it was just a total folly and and a loss of money. Horrible place, so so ugly. I thought, I was absolutely convinced, that it was a motel "pretending" to be a Best Western until I got home and looked it up on the internet. I think my ex-wife and her friends stayed maybe at the other Best Western in that general part of Flagstaff, the Kings Rest. She's not sure of the name, so I don't know, though maybe later I can ask her friend. I can't believe she stayed there, where we stayed. She never would have done it. And even if she some how she might have, her friend Susan never would have. No, big mistake, huge mistake if you value 84 dollars or sleep or health safety (that kind of dirt can't be OK) or motel-happiness or contentment. Place is ugly in every possible way. It's a phony and cheat. Stay away. (Yes, desk registration clerk was a nice-seeming young girl. That's true. Nothing else OK.)

Horrible Hotel, No Air Conditioning, Very Noisy

by TripAdvisor Member dreamketcher

The air conditioner was programed to go on & off, apparently for energy savings. All night long the AC would come on for maybe 1 minute & then off for 20 minutes. When it went on & off there was a loud clunk. When off we could hear people talking in the hall, the TV blasting upstairs, the train. I called the front desk at 4am who offered me a 10% discount. I left a voice mail for the mgr who never returned my call. I'm arguing with Best Western customer service because I want a full refund. After all the reason you get a hotel room is to sleep & we didn't get any sleep. Also, because the AC wasn't working we had condensation on the interior windows as there was no fan in the bathroom. Worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

NEVER STAY HERE

by TripAdvisor Member amsibt

I was shocked to see the other reviews because we thought SURELY we were the only room like ours. However, our air conditioner did NOT WORK AT ALL! In the morning the desk clerk came to check and I showed him that the air conditioning was on 66 and it was NOT RUNNING nor had it run all night. The room was so tiny you could hardly move and we could hear conversations in the parking lot and the hallway. Above us you could hear people walking back and forth. The staff was rude unhelpful. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

Ole time gas station-eatsOle time gas station-eats

Road not worth the rideRoad not worth the ride

Street view of shopsStreet view of shops

Sedona's famed red-rock formationsSedona's famed red-rock formations

A NIGHT OUT IN FLAGSTAFF

by toomsooba

I will be visiting a good friend in Flagstaff in March, wondering what anyone out there would recommend for live music and good drinks in Flagstaff. Any info you have or places you can recommend would be appreciated.....

Re: A NIGHT OUT IN FLAGSTAFF

by teacheralison

Hi...when I lived there several years ago we really liked the Mogollon It's small and intimate and has live music most nights. it's right downtown...all the bars are pretty close to each other in that downtown area. If you don't like the Mogollon, there should be several others you can just walk around and sample. Have fun!

Re: Re: A NIGHT OUT IN FLAGSTAFF

by toomsooba

Thanks for the tip....should be a good time.

Comments