England House - Flagstaff

614 West Santa Fe, Flagstaff, Arizona, 86001, United States

More about Flagstaff

7000 ft above sea level7000 ft above sea level

CAnyon view with road belowCAnyon view with road below

Gargoyles and wonderful bell towerGargoyles and wonderful bell tower

Near Chapel HillNear Chapel Hill

Driving Through Flagstaff / Staying Thursday Night / Fun Bars?

by beatchfre

My cousin and I are going on a road trip (Santa Fe->Monument Valley->Grand Canyon->Las Vegas). We're planning on spending a night on a Thursday. This will be the third time I've done the trip, but I've only been out in Flagstaff once. We asked our concierge to recommend a good bar - he recommended one because it was "college night". We were the only ones there under 40, but we had a good time anyway. It was right near a Taco Bell Drive Thru - can anyone tell me what it's called?

Can anyone direct me to a decent web site that lists the bars in Flagstaff - one that perhaps has photos. I've googled and found a few sites, but most are YellowPages-type dealies - I've learned not to trust these sites 'cos they're outdated and cater, it seems, to strip clubs! A web site showing photos, etc would be great!

I'm off to google some more.

thanks in advance for any replies.

RE: Driving Through Flagstaff / Staying Thursday Night / Fun Bars?

by karen_mo

Hi, We stayed at the Monte Vista hotel in downtown Flagstaff and the guy on the front gave us a map and marked the bars that had some life in them. One of them was Maloneys. See link...
Is this the one you went to? I know there was another v lively college bar nearby, I think it had a mexican theme. Sorry, probably not a lot of help to you!! Anyway, the hotel is worth a visit just for the weird way the rooms are named after famous people and themed. very quirky, even if a little battered looking! I thought downtown Flagstaff was a great find after driving round the main road full of petrol stations and motels!
Karen

Re: Driving Through Flagstaff / Staying Thursday Night / Fun Bars?

by neeheh

Hello,

I haven't been there myself, but am planning a trip in August. We will be there for a couple of days (staying in the Grand Canyon Hostel). Much like you, we are looking for a nice bar for people around 25/30.

I found this http://www.sanfelipescantina.com/ , which is probably the bar the poster above me was talking about. Like I said, haven't been there yet but probably will check it out.

Travel Tips for Flagstaff

Patios

by mrandmrsdevlin

If you are in Flagstaff, and it is even a little bit warm outside, your best bet is to go downtown and walk around until you find a place with a patio, then sit and enjoy a couple beers. This is where you'll rub shoulders with locals, and probably have the best time. Overall people are really interested in talking to you, especially if you're travelling. Don't be surprised if the entire afternoon slips away and you're still in the same spot.

Go for a Ride in the Sky!

by treerose

Well, it may not be the most remote or secluded option, but it sure is off the walking path, so to speak. At the Arizona Snowbowl just outside of Flagstaff, you can take a ski lift that will elevate you around 2,000 feet or so more than starting point (going from somewhere over 9,000 feet to over 11,000 feet in altitude). Be prepared and take a jacket or sweater-- no matter how hot it is at the bottom, because 2,000 more feet up equals 10 to 20 degrees cooler. In the summer of course, there is no snow, but there are plenty of views to be seen from the lift on a ride that takes about an hour round-trip. At the summit, you disembark to check out the view, with an optional short hike to a viewing area atop the hill, then return to descend on your airy journey. You can feel the breeze through your hair, let your feet dangle as you like (wearing closed footwear, of course!), and think your own thoughts as the sounds of ground level fade away.
When your ride comes to an end, you can eat at the adjoining restaurant with optional outdoor seating and live musicians that occasionally play on the open deck.

Baldwin Steam Engine No. 25

by Yaqui

Engine No.25 was purchased in 1917 by the Arizona Lumber and Timber Company, which it proudly served. It was eventually purchase in 1995 by the city of Flagstaff and now serves as a reminder of all those who worked so hard to make Flagstaff what it is today. This is a really nice display and you can tell the volunteers took their time and lovingly restored her to her former glory.

Located right off of Route 66 just down from the Visitor Center

Visitor Center
One East Route 66
Flagstaff, Az 86001

Vermillion Cliffs Sunset View

by Galaktycka about Lee's Ferry Lodge/Vermillion Cliffs Bar & Grill

Vermillion Cliffs Bar and Grill is a sure stop for me every time I travel through northern Arizona. In fact, I have been known to plan trips around it! The restaurant is a part of Lee's Ferry Lodge, and it's about 50 miles south of Page and just north of Lee's Ferry. The landscape is haunting. I like to order a burger and sit outside on the porch on the benches that are provided and sip a cold beer until my food is ready. It's a real hole-in-the wall in the middle of nowhere, but they have more than 130 beers on hand! I spoke with the owner, and she told me that her children travel 50 miles each direction to go to school in Page every day, and that they live on the premises. In addition, they own a small fly shop (fishing) next door that my fishermen friends love.

Little America Truck Stop

by dzni about Little America Truck Stop

Not exactly fine dining, this place right next to the Little America Hotel has a short order cook, or something of that nature in the truck stop. I had a sort of breakfast sandwich with eggs and cheese and such, and it was incredibly delicious!! Got some OJ in the convenience store there and was on my way. Really, great, cheap food, at least for breakfast! :)

Comments