Grand Canyon International Hostel

LadyXoc's Profile Photo

Great Hostel in Flagstaff

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 15, 2008

My friend and I stayed at this hostel twice while galavanting around the Southwest. We liked this hostel very much. It was pretty clean. The hosts were laid back and friendly. We shared a private room together for about $20 each. I don't mind dorm style but she had never hosteled before. The private room had its own sink and a refridgerator. That was nice. There were at least two kitchens so cooking a quick meal/heating up some tea was not a problem. The dorm rooms are limited to 4 beds so not too crowded. Reading the reviews it seems at least one guest I saw preferred their other hostel, the Du Beau Hostel. I did read that it is a hostel for those looking for a little more action. At my age action translates to noise so I was just fine where I was. Also, DuBeau is not open in the winter..anyway.
ps. I liked room 11 upstairs. It had a desk and I could pick up the free wifi and send pics to my friends back home.
Linens are included and as with most hostels you cannot use your sleeping bag. (they worry about bugs, lice, etc) I usually bring a very small portable silk sleping sack. It keeps me cool/warm. Also washes and dries pretty quickly. Do not pay $70 for one if you are looking. I got mine on e-bay for less than $20. Here is a link to a seller called 'silkyblade' . He is selling them for $10.99.
Keep in mind that quite often hostels are in older buildings. It adds to the character for me. This one was built in 1933.
This hostel was superior in accomodation to the Lazy Lizard in Moab.

Unique Quality: This hostel is one block from the Amtrak Train. It was very easy to pull our luggage from the hostel to the train. We also could walk to several restaurants and shops. Historic Route 66 is very close.
We did at one point have a rental car...parking was free and in a lot next door. Breakfast is included. In most hostels you wash up after yourself after meals. I believe this was the case here too.
Looks like there are tours available from here. We did not use them but I see good reviews. Would be a great way to see the Grand Canyon. link to their tour page=
tour

Directions: One block south of Amtrak Train Station

Roadquill's Profile Photo

Hostel experience in Flagstaff

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 17, 2007

I stopped in to check out the place and it seemed like a friendly place. I didn't ask if the FREE breakfast was hearty as advertised. Rates were $16 to $20 for dorm rooms and $32 to $42 for private rooms. None of the rooms were ensuite, however, there is a sister motel down the street, Motel Le Doux that had rooms with their own bathrooms.

Unique Quality: Very close to historic downtown Flagstaff. Bar across the street.

Directions: South of Route 66 on San Francisco

Nearby Grand Canyon International Hostel

Grand Canyon International Hostel

• Grand Canyon International Hotel Flagstaff

Address: 19 South San Francisco Street, Flagstaff, Arizona, 86001, United States

5 Photos of Grand Canyon International Hostel

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Grand Canyon International Hostel

• Continental Breakfast
  • Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette

Flagstaff Travel Forum

Need advice about Flagstaff, Arizona? Visit the Travel Forum for Flagstaff and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Flagstaff hotel reviews

Explore Deeper into Flagstaff
Really Unique~
Meteor Crater
Things to Do
Adorable store and yummy treats~
Excellent Food!
Quiche American style
Marvelous menu
Live Music
Restaurants
Do you love sushi and tepanyaki??
Walnut Canyon National Monument