19 South San Francisco Street, Flagstaff, Arizona, 86001, United States

Hostelworld.com

• LadyXoc's Profile Photo

Great Hostel in Flagstaff

My friend and I stayed at this hostel twice while galavanting around the Southwest. We liked this hostel very much. It was pretty clean. The hosts were laid back and friendly. We shared a private room together for about $20 each. I don't mind dorm style but she had never hosteled before. The private room had its own sink and a refridgerator. That was nice. There were at least two kitchens so cooking a quick meal/heating up some tea was not a problem. The dorm rooms are limited to 4 beds so not too crowded. Reading the reviews it seems at least one guest I saw preferred their other hostel, the Du Beau Hostel. I did read that it is a hostel for those looking for a little more action. At my age action translates to noise so I was just fine where I was. Also, DuBeau is not open in the winter..anyway.
    ps. I liked room 11 upstairs. It had a desk and I could pick up the free wifi and send pics to my friends back home.
    Linens are included and as with most hostels you cannot use your sleeping bag. (they worry about bugs, lice, etc) I usually bring a very small portable silk sleping sack. It keeps me cool/warm. Also washes and dries pretty quickly. Do not pay $70 for one if you are looking. I got mine on e-bay for less than $20. Here is a link to a seller called 'silkyblade' . He is selling them for $10.99.
    Keep in mind that quite often hostels are in older buildings. It adds to the character for me. This one was built in 1933.
    This hostel was superior in accomodation to the Lazy Lizard in Moab.

Unique Quality: This hostel is one block from the Amtrak Train. It was very easy to pull our luggage from the hostel to the train. We also could walk to several restaurants and shops. Historic Route 66 is very close.
    We did at one point have a rental car...parking was free and in a lot next door. Breakfast is included. In most hostels you wash up after yourself after meals. I believe this was the case here too.
    Looks like there are tours available from here. We did not use them but I see good reviews. Would be a great way to see the Grand Canyon. link to their tour page=
    tour

Directions: One block south of Amtrak Train Station

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Hostel experience in Flagstaff

I stopped in to check out the place and it seemed like a friendly place. I didn't ask if the FREE breakfast was hearty as advertised. Rates were $16 to $20 for dorm rooms and $32 to $42 for private rooms. None of the rooms were ensuite, however, there is a sister motel down the street, Motel Le Doux that had rooms with their own bathrooms.

Unique Quality: Very close to historic downtown Flagstaff. Bar across the street.

Directions: South of Route 66 on San Francisco

More about Grand Canyon International Hostel

Adventure Mouse and Granola Barbie. Road Trip #2

by LadyXoc

"Flagstaff Arizona"

Road Trip #2 with Granola Barbie is actually adventure #3 with her. She hasn't smothered me in my sleep yet- not even after the tent incident in Texas. (How did I know it was gonna snow??)
First we flew from Rockford Illinois to Las Vegas. Only there long enough to get a rental car. We then drove from Las Vegas to Flagstaff arizona. We stayed at The Grand Canyon International Hostel. It was $18 or so each. It was clean, our bed was decent, and the breakfast was ok too. Granola Barbe had never stayed in a hostel before so this was a learning experience for her.
The next day we drove to the Grand Canyon. We had lunch at the Bright Angel Lodge. I have been there 3 or 4 times so I knew that this would be a nice spot for Christmas Eve lunch. On our way we stopped at the Wing Mountain Snow Play Area and snow tubed at 8000 ft elevation. (see video). Yes, I had a snow tube in my luggage. It has paid off before and I am sure that it will pay off again!
We spent the night at the WigWam Motel! The heck with you Oprah. It was really cute inside. Maybe she is clostraphobic.

On Christmas day we got lost on the Hopi reservation. Instead of the nice dinner like I had in Chloride AZ last year we ate with the Native Americans at an A & W hotdog stand. We stood out to say the least. They are nice but keep to themselves.
Christmas night we stayed in Moab at the Lazy Lizard. I will sleep anywhere. Granola Barbe had a meltdown. Let's just say the Lazy Lizard is 'rustic'.
On the 26th we hiked around at Arches National Monument in Utah.
The 27th we visited Indian Petroglyphs, Ther Navajo National Monument, and saw a dinosaur footprint, and a spa (Barbie strikes again)
The 28th we went to Sedona (over rated) and Jerome the ghost town. I really liked Jerome. The 29th we spent back in Flagstaff at the Hostel again and on the 30th we left Flagstaff via the train called The Southwest Chief FOR 36 HOURS!. We sat in the lounge car drinking wine and playing scrabble. Got off the train, jumped on a bus, ran home, ditched our luggage and went to a new Years Eve party!!!
Unfortunately for me I had to get on the same train again and go to a Bagpipe/Drum convention in Kansas City. We played Monopoly!

"Wing Mountain Snow Play Area"

I can't believe I talked Granola Barbie into this! Especially after the snowtubing sand dunes incident. mwa ha ha

"Grand Canyon"

Who wouldn't want to have lunch here on Christmas Eve???

Comments