Hotel Monte Vista

Hotels.com Expedia.com

Tags

Historical Travel Trains Luxury Travel
See Amenities

Horrible sleep and customer service

by written on August 8, 2013

I'm sitting here in my King size bed for $110/night and am contemplating throwing my faux antique wooden chair out the window on the band below. It's a Thursday night and the front desk just informed me that the band will be playing their crappy music till 1 in the morning and there are no more rooms available at 9:45pm. That a band can even be heard in any of the rooms, particularly at a volume that would keep guests up, would have been helpful information when I checked in at 7:30 that night. Unfortunately dinner kept me from finding this out until too late.
I chose this hotel because I'm finishing up a cross country road trip seeing family and friends. I read in a Route 66 book that it might be haunted. Sounds interesting right? The only thing that haunts me is my bad decisions.
I'm tired. I have more driving to do. I'm not a hipster. I go to bed at a reasonable hour. Oops, my mistake for staying at the Hotel Monte Vista. I'll take a two star hotel over this bs any day. Stiff mattress, tiny ineffective AC, a bathroom that yells at me for mistakenly being too big at 6'4"...and the music that doesn't stop till 1 in the morning...hopefully. Anyone that wrote a positive review on this hotel was either too high/drunk to notice the bass and drums outside their window or was lucky enough to get a room on the street side of the hotel. Go to a best western or some other brand-name hotel. It's worth the extra $10/20

UPDATE (Aug 8, 2013): Add to this situation the drunk guest who was as annoyed as I was by the band and decided to pull the fire alarm at 1:30 in the morning...not once, but twice. To add insult to injury, I woke up that morning. at 5:45 to light spilling into the hotel room from the completely inadequate blinds.
Initially I stopped at the desk on checking out to talk to a manager and see if it was possible to get a refund due to the hotel failing to meet their minimum obligation of being a place to sleep for the night. The clerk, Raheem was nice enough to give me Shawn and Mark's names and number and took my info down. When I reached Shawn that same Friday afternoon, he was extremely condescending and rude, took my information again and said he'd get back to me. I didn't hear back from Shawn at all, despite leaving messages with my name and number again on Monday and Tuesday. Figuring he might be busy (because a 50 room hotel and bar is understandably too much in a seven day week), I tried him again (all of these attempts at reasonable hours between 10am and 3pm) on Thursday (almost a week later). I was lucky enough to reach Chelsea who was great to work with, but was clearly hamstrung by Shawn's poor and immature management. Chelsea informed me that Shawn was the only one who could make any decision about a refund and, as the desk manager, she'd have to get back to me. When she called me back very promptly, it became clear that Shawn has no business managing anything, as he put it on her to inform me of the arbitrary $30 refund he was offering me, rather than calling me himself to discuss the situation.
To be clear, I am a former Marine captain and work for a big four consulting firm, with a solid understanding of how to work with people and what good customer service looks like in a customer oriented trade like the hotel industry. I didn't think it was asking too much to get a 5-10 minute conversation from the person who runs the hotel as to what my refund options were and why they ended up as limited as they were. It seems this operation is run solely as a "locals" bar establishment for the college crowd and to scam tourists out of a nights stay as they try to enjoy the history of Route 66. The owner, James Craven, doesn't seem to care about his poor choices in his management or the quality of his hotel, as long as duped tourists keep forking over money based on a weak premise of the hotel having a haunted history.

Bottom Line: save yourself the heartache and avoid The Hotel Monte Vista like the plague. You're much better off staying at a name-brand hotel and driving into the downtown area to enjoy the restaurants and nightlife.

Avoid

by written on October 31, 2011

Overwhelming stench in room! Similiar to dead animal or intense mildew. Cold unfriendly room. Arrived after dark on Amtrak so finding another room would have been difficult I slept with my clothes on to minimize contact. View from window was not a "Mountain View" but the top of an old roof and the back of some old buildings.

The staff was evasive, unresponsive and clearly reflective of the management. I consider it a swindle. Avoid like the plague!

Unique Quality: Unpleasant memories...

atufft's Profile Photo

2nd Most Historic Hotel in Downtown Flagstaff

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 30, 2008

Located on the corner of Aspen and San Francisco in downtown Flagstaff, the Hotel Monte Vista is perhaps the most recognizable building in downtown due to its imposing height and large neon sign. The architecture dates back to 1927. For more details, see the weblink below. Also, see the rave reviews of those who have stayed in the Eddie Mercury suite, for example.

Unique Quality: This hotel has a reputation for ghost stories, which became known to me from a fellow VT member wanting to know more from me:

Hi there,

I'm doing research on the Monte Vista Hotel in Flagstaff, AZ, and I saw that you
reviewed the place. My question actually isn't about the accommodations of the
hotel but rather, about its ghost stories. I'm researching on the building's
history of ghost hauntings and am reaching out to those who have stayed at the
hotel to get their accounts. I would love to hear more about your experience at
the Monte Vista. Are any of the ghost stories true? Did you experience
anything eerie while you were there?

Let me know! You can contact me via email (address below). I look forward to
hearing what you have to say!

Best,

Jamie Jimenez
Associate Producer
Paranormal State
E: Jamieparanormal@gmail.com

rusty549's Profile Photo

Glad we cancelled

by written on June 29, 2008

My party of four were due to stay here but due to unforseen circumstances we had to cancel. We had prebooked two rooms for just one night last September 2007, but the hotel only refunded one room to my credit card. I had to prove I had Cancellation Numbers and when I had cancelled to my credit card company and they then had to fight this hotel to get my refund. Glad to say it was sorted satisfactorily in the end, but guests should not have to go through this when hotels are unscrupulous enough to try and cheat you. We did drive past a couple of days later and the hotel looked very seedy indeed! Glad we gave it a miss. We did stay at the Sled Dog Inn instead - a bit more pricey but well worth the extra, see my review on Sled Dog.

Directions: Downtown Flagstaff

Yaqui's Profile Photo

Beautiful Time capsule

by written on April 14, 2008

I always enjoy looking around and taking in the sights. I thoroughly enjoy historical downtown areas because they are looking back in time. The Monte Vista hotel stood out just as much as the Weatherford Hotel. Monte Vista hotel was completed Jan 1, 1927 and still offers AAA rooms. Everything about her speaks of history and that which has been included into her walls. The old post office building that operated on this very site from 1917-1927 was completely incorporated into the structure, which is now part of the cocktail lounge.

Directions: Off of Route 66, turn onto San Francisco St.

Ghosts and Celebs

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 5, 2005

Stayed here one night in the summer of 2003. Drove into Flagstaff without a place to stay and happened upon this gem (well if you can call reading about it in a guidebook "happening upon"). Rumors circulate that it's haunted by friendly ghosts.

Rooms are decent-sized and not overly-expensive. Each has a different theme, all based on various celebrities that have stayed here.

Our room was a western-themed room (it was named after a famous Old West novellist, not Louis L'amour but in that vein). Lots of warm browns and such. Other celebs who had rooms named after them included Michael Stipe (of REM) an Shirley MacClain (oh god, I think it was her anyway).

The hotel has a funky little bar attached to it. Good, cheap drinks. Skews towards the local college crowd.

Much of the sites in town are within walking distance of the hotel. The staff was very happy to suggest places for eats, drinks and visits.

A short but memorable stay.

Unique Quality: Aveda bath products, views of town and surrounding mountains

Nearby Hotel Monte Vista

Hotel Monte Vista

• Monte Vista Hotel
  • Monte Vista Flagstaff

Address: 100 North San Francisco Street, Flagstaff, Arizona, 86001, United States

8 Photos of Hotel Monte Vista

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Hotel Monte Vista

• Free Parking

Flagstaff Travel Forum

Need advice about Flagstaff, Arizona? Visit the Travel Forum for Flagstaff and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Flagstaff hotel reviews

Explore Deeper into Flagstaff
Really Unique~
Meteor Crater
Things to Do
Adorable store and yummy treats~
Excellent Food!
Quiche American style
Marvelous menu
Live Music
Restaurants
Do you love sushi and tepanyaki??
Walnut Canyon National Monument