Super 8 Flagstaff - I-40 Business Loop

Travelocity Orbitz.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Flagstaff

Steakhouse in TusayanSteakhouse in Tusayan

The blue sky backgroundThe blue sky background

FAmous local brewery placeFAmous local brewery place

Case showing home and town layoutCase showing home and town layout

Phoenix Tours to Painted Desert

by TravillionRex

Apparently, Phoenix Tours has a tour from Flagstaff to Petrified Forest, Painted Desert & Meteor Crater. Does anyone know anything about it? Someone here mentioned that the Forest isn't all that, I figure lumping all these sights together might make sense. I'm only worried it's a little too much.

by vtveen

bookmark

by mcelhinnie

I am not sure about Meteor Crater but the Painted Desert and Pertrified Forest are together in the same park so that should not be a problem. We loved going there and our friends just returned and had a great time so I think that it is worth it. Scott

by bocmaxima

Hadn't heard of this tour before, but I looked at their site and it looks pretty good, especially for the price ($50/person?).
The best way to see this region is by your own car at your own pace, but, if that's not an option, this is another good way.
Petrified Forest would actually be the more interesting of the three. The "Painted Desert" refers to an enormous area covering the majority of the Navajo Nation in the Four Corners states and so you can't really see "it" like the other attractions. There are interesting rock formations everywhere though including Monument Valley (although I don't think you'll go there on this tour), the Vermillion Cliffs (probably not there either) and the famous hoodoos (you may see some).
I don't know what petroglyphs or "ruins of prehistoric Indian dwellings" they're referring to though. There's one site just east of Flagstaff (actually somewhat accessible by public bus + a walk) called Elden Pueblo, but there's virtually nothing there and I doubt that that's it. Maybe Walnut Canyon?
I don't particularly like tours. They tell you when to do everything in order to stay on schedule and rope you into stupid gift shops and terrible, overpriced restaurants where they get kickbacks. That's a generalization though and this one may be different.
Sunset Crater/Wupatki and Walnut Canyon would all be more interesting than these places though and are much closer to Flagstaff.
hth

by catwat

One of the replies mentioned Walnut Canyon. I've been there and that is very interesting and pretty. I have also been to the petrified forest and it was interesting as well. As I recall, the walk through the area takes about an hour. We just saw the painted desert in driving by.

I agree that the best way to see these areas is by driving yourself.

Travel Tips for Flagstaff

GrandGRAND CANYON NATIONAL...

by MTRCOACH_MAN

GrandGRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK to the North & US HWY 89 to SEDONA (to the SOUTH). If time permits, float the COLORADO RIVER FROM PAGE AZ TO LEE'S FERRY.

Grand Canyon is, well, let's just say if you were an atheist, after being at GRAND CANYON,you would have to question the existence of a higher deity when you leave.

HWY 89 SOUTH is one of the top ten drives in the country & takes you to another climatic & ecological zone.

The float trip down the COLORADO will bring you to a place of 'peace' and offer memories you'll carry for a lifetime. - It's a different world down there. The Flagstaff weather is awesome & the outskirts of the community are quite scenic.

Flightseeing over Grand Canyon is just AWESOME & floating down the COLORADO takes one to a whole new level -------> as does hiking the Canyon and surronding areas.

News Flash!

by mrandmrsdevlin

Just for the record...Arizona is not just a big sandbox. Flagstaff is at 7,000 feet and gets cold! If you're coming anytime between December and March expect snow. The summers are temperate, and usually top out at around 78 degrees. We have a ski resort, as well as a ton of outdoorsy things to do so if that's your bag, then pack accordingly

Heritage Square

by Yaqui

When we were strolling along, we came upon this huge square. It had some lovely benches to sit on. A couple people were enjoying them by reading a book in the warm sun that day. I found out they have concerts here during the summer months, plays, and movie nights too. Seems like a great area to just hang out in.

On Aspen Ave between Leroux St. and San Francisco St.

Exit off of Route 66 onto either Leroux St. and San Francisco St.

Downtown Murals

by Yaqui

As we wondered around a bit, I came upon just a couple of murals. I am sure this lovely city has more. So the time next I visit I will explore more and add them.

One of the funkiest murals I have seen was located in Heritage Square: Aspen Ave between Leroux St. and San Francisco St.

The other is located on 23 N. Beaver St., Midgley's 1926 Building - A Noah’s Ark mural. I like it!

Quiche American style

by Maria250 about Coco's

We had very tasty and fresh salad with ranch dressing, and one big portion of a Quiche that also was made very rich with many, many eggs.

Coco's is a nice place and the service is great! Very inviting for families!

Comments