Travelodge Flagstaff / Grand Canyon

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data
  • Laurel16's Profile Photo

What a dump!

Drove from California (12 hours!) with the kids. The entire way I promised they could relax and swim as soon as we arrived, as this hotel supposedly has a pool. We got there and noticed the pool had a cover on it. We asked about it and were told the pool is closed - until Summer 2012! The girl at the hotel desk didn't offer any apology for it either, even when I let her know that this information was nowhere on the website when I booked it. She just kind of shrugged. They put us on the 2nd floor...the steps upstairs have loose gravel coming off of them and are dangerous. The room is dirty and smelly and the train goes by day and night. Not impressed. I'd never stay here again.

More about Flagstaff

mid-town Flagstaffmid-town Flagstaff

Silver eagle making flight-not realSilver eagle making flight-not real

Front of the restaurantFront of the restaurant

Old bank building on Bus 66Old bank building on Bus 66

Active, Wild, Motorized Fun?

by Kevin_Cade

A question I have that you might be able to help me with is....

Can you help me find any places nearby where we can:

1) quadbiking
2) dune-buggying
3) archery
4) wall climbing

etc. adventurous stuff outside, stuff that involves engines or a bit of adventurous attitudes (maybe even fitness).

We'll be doing a lot of walking,but my three active boys (9-13 years old) would love if we could do some of the activities I've listed above.

cheers in advance for any help you can (hopefully!) give,
Kevin

Re: Active, Wild, Motorized Fun?

by bocmaxima

> 1) quadbiking 2) dune-buggying
The forest service has become increasingly more restrictive on OHV use on its lands. Also, starting Jan 1 of this year, our state now requires a decal/license for these vehicles. The Coconino National Forest surrounds Flagstaff. http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/ohv/index.shtml
> 3) archery
There may be an archery range around Flagstaff. I'm not totally familiar with the laws, but I believe that they're the same as with non-hunting firearms on the national forest lands. I could be wrong though.
> 4) wall climbing
Like rock gyms? Arizona's a big climbing state. This is in Flagstaff and there are others, of course, in Phoenix: http://www.verticalrelief.com/

When are you looking at coming?

Re: Active, Wild, Motorized Fun?

by Kevin_Cade

packing now, but I'll have interweb access throughout my hols in Flagstaff/Grand Canyon.

What about archery?
a water park (indoor or outdoor pool with wave machine, etc.)?
a gun firing range?

I see there's a riring range or two at/near Scottsdale, AZ, but anything nearer?

thanks in advance for any replies!

-Kevin

Travel Tips for Flagstaff

I would take them to the caves...

by FROGandFLY

I would take them to the caves around Flagstaff. There's plenty of GOOD caves up here and not a whole lot of people will tell you about them. I'd also have to take them to Snow Bowl. It's not the greatest place for snow sports, but it doesn't get as crowded as most other places. My fondest memory of Flagstaff was the first time it snowed. I've lived in Phoenix, and other warm places all my life, and I haven't really ever been able to experience falling snow.

Be kind and considerate to all...

by MTRCOACH_MAN

Be kind and considerate to all -- especially the Native Culture (NAVAJO & HOPI TRIBES). You'll be one over 5 MILLION travellers passing thru this year so you'll encounter many cultures.
******************************************************
LEAVE NOTHING BEHIND FROM YOUR TRAVEL & TAKE ONLY PICTURES,MEMORIES & FRIENDSHIPS HOME WITH YOU.

Hidden Beauty Gallery offers...

by Walter_Spald

Hidden Beauty Gallery offers an eclectic accumulation of international, museum quality fine art, antiques and elegant accessories. Inventory includes paintings, prints, furniture, Native American and Oriental art and crafts, rugs and religious art and artifacts.

Logging Wheels

by Yaqui

These wheels were restored in 2003 by the Arizona Historical Society Pioneer Museum. Originally built by S.C. Overpack Carriage Works of Manistee, Mich., between 1880-1910.

Logging wheels were first used by farms around 1870 to clear the trees from there land. Then when the lumber industry began around 1880’s along with a team of horses, once the trees were felled, cut down, the wheels were backed over the logs and horses were disconnected. The tongue of the wheels was then lifted into the air and chain was run under the logs and up to hooks on top of the axle. As the axle was pulled back down, it lifted the logs off the ground. A chain was then run around the front of the logs and the tongue to prevent the tongue from flipping back up. The horses were then re-harnessed to the wheels and the logs were pulled out of the woods to the railroad for shipment to the mill.

Please read the plaques that many displays have, you learn so much from them. Its where I get much of my information.

Burlington-Santa Fe Railroad depot on South Beaver Ave and Route 66

Diner for Locals

by BruceDunning about Mike & Rhonda's

The food was good and servings plentiful. They have the usual diner type dinners, and all looked appealing. There are two locations; one on Bus 66 on the east side of the city about 5 miles out. Another is near Bus 66 on MIlton in midtown The hamburger steak was tasty and a full 10-12 oz size with fries and salad. Good enough for me.

Comments