Globe Historic District 2
The first two buildings listed in the Historic Downtown Globe Walking Tour brochure are the McKevitt Building and the International House. The McKevitt Building was built between 1899 and 1906 by C. E. Fruin. The bottom floor housed shops owned by Yugoslavian immigrants. The building next to it (left) is the International House, which was built in 1902 by Pascual Nibro. This was the first Mexican-American owned business in Globe. The brochure lists it as the largest Adobe structure in Arizona (but Schieffelin Hall in Tombstone claims that too). It also used to house the International Saloon. Today it houses the longest continually operating saloon in Globe. It is listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places. The next two buildings are the Quihuis Saloon Building and the Sang Tai restaurant. The Quihuis Saloon was built between 1929 and 1932 in the Vernacular Art Deco Style. This is one of the few Art Deco buildings surviving in Globe and it still has the backbar with stained glass décor. The Sang Tai Building was built in 1905 in the Vernacular Commercial Style and was a Chinese Restaurant. Next we see the Van Slyck & Meyers Building, which dates from 1889 but was rebuilt after the big fire in 1896. It originally housed the infamous St Elmo Saloon. The pressed metal ceiling is the only thing that remains of the saloon. Next is the DeLacy Hotel which opened in 1910 as the Old Dominion Hotel. It was built in the Neoclassical Revival Style. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Last is the Elk’s Building which was built in 1910. It has the distinction of being the tallest three story building in the United States and is on the National Register of Historic Places.