El Tovar Hotel Grand Canyon

See Amenities
Yaqui's Profile Photo

Grand Dame 1905

by written on August 16, 2010

El Tovar Hotel was built in 1905 and designed by Charles Whittlesey who was the Chief Architect for the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway and owned by the Harvey House Company to accomdate those wealthy travelers who frequented the park back in the day when a vacation consisted of months of traveling. It is still a full upscale hotel with 78 rooms and suites, all with cable television, telephone, full bath and air conditioning. It is also only 20 feet from the Rim. It is also on the list of U.S. National Register of Historic Places and U.S. National Historic Landmark.

There is an upscale gift store located in the El Tovar Hotel lobby, features clothing, jewelry, and fine gifts. There is also a newsstand for snacks, sundries, postcards, newspapers and books. Open 7am-10pm

Xanterra Parks & Resorts
Central Reservations
6312 South Fiddlers Green Circle, Suite 600N
Greenwood Village, Colorado 80111
E-mail: reserve-gcsr@xanterra.com
For same day reservations please call 928.638.2631.

Phone: Toll-free within the U.S. 888.29.PARKS (888.297.2757) or
Outside the U.S. 303.29.PARKS (303.297.2757)
Fax: 303.297.3175

Directions: From I-40 exit onto Highway 64 (Exit 165, just east of Williams). Head north on Highway 64 directly to the South Rim (approximately 60 miles).

Minalucia's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon's Coziest Hotel

by written on October 23, 2009

My boyfriend and I just came back from our stay at El Tovar. It was definitely a wonderful and unique experience. If you appreciate and are into history I recommend this hotel 100%. For being an old and historic hotel the accomodations are great. I was lucky enough to get a room on the third floor with a view to the Canyon. You have to understand that this hotel is not a Vegas hotel. The standard rooms and bathrooms are small but very clean and comfortatable. I have no complaints. The soaps, shampoo, and body lotion you find in your bathroom smell great! The restaurant is beautiful. I wouldn't say the food is exquisite, but pretty good.

Unique Quality: This hotel is unique just for being built in 1905! As soon as I walked in I could feel the history at my finger tips. I felt I went back in time and was actually back in the early 1900's. I love the way the wood sounds as you walk through the hallways. I love the smell. I believe is the smell of history, the smell of the past, and also the smell of wood! It feels as if you are staying in a untouchable museum but with the privilage of being able to touch and use the premises without restrictions. I truly loved the feelings I experienced while my stay at El Tovar. I thought it was well worth it. I would not stay at any other hotel, but El Tovar when I visit the Grand Canyon again.

Directions: The Grand Canyon on the South Rim

tourguy25's Profile Photo

Grand Canyon's Secrets

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 23, 2009

CaptainJ
Coming from Eau Claire, you are in for a treat! The trip from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon is spectacular especially if you make a side trip to Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. I agree with the other comments - the historic El Tovar is patterned after a Swiss hunting lodge and sits right on the rim of the Grand Canyon South Rim. Late March is a great time to visit, not too many visitors as in the summer, and the weather usually is great - low 30s or 20s at night and usually in the 50s or so during the day.
Make sure you do a short hike into the Canyon on the Bright Angel Trail - at least down to the first switchback. This will give you an idea of what it is like to hike into the Canyon. I also highly recommend the IMAX theater presentation Grand Canyon IMAX. This presentation gives you a feel of rafting on the Colorado River, flying through the Canyon and some very good history as well. The El Tovar dining room is also a not to be missed experience. The food is very good and the views from the floor to ceiling windows frame the Canyon. Enjoy your visit.
Wayne

Unique Quality: Great Views of Canyon, excellent service, dining room an experience to remember

Directions: On the Grand Canyon South Rim

magdalena2007's Profile Photo

Right on the edge of the Grand Canyon

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 12, 2007

The hotel was beautiful but my room was allll the way on the other side of the entrance/exit so it was a pain when you forgot your gloves. The rooms were just okay, had a weird smell but can't complain. The hotel restaurant was closed during my first night because of a private party and going outside to get food in the dark at the Grand Canyon isn’t a walk in the park, it's right down dangerous! I saw a little boy running around while it was pitch dark (with some street lamps) and you look over to the right and there is nothing from holding you back from falling down the canyon.

Directions: Apache Street and Center Road
South Rim

mikehanneman's Profile Photo

El Tovar Hotel - A must stop

by written on May 16, 2007

I didn't stay at El Tovar but I bet you would know a lot fo the famous peopl who have.

A great gem on the Grand Canyon's rim. If you want to stay here you had better make reservations at least a year or more in advance.

If you can't get a room, do yourself a favor. Walk through the El Tovar. It has a lot of geat history and I liked the stuffed boar's head among other animals on the wall.

Unique Quality: History, a lot of unique things to look at inside.

VeronicaG's Profile Photo

A Historic Grand Canyon Hotel

by written on May 8, 2007

Reservations are made a year in advance for this historic Grand Canyon Hotel. Unfortunately, we didn't plan far enough ahead to have the oppoortunity to stay at El Tovar.

When we visited Grand Canyon Village, I beelined here to see El Tovar. Upon entering the large lobby, numbers of people were gathered around the fireplace and seating areas in animated conversation. It was very windy and cold that day, so we were among those who wished to warm up a bit.

The lobby was decorated in lodge-style, having a darkened interior seeming almost cave-like to me. To be honest, I don't usually appreciate this style, but it certainly was appropriate for El Tovar. However, lovely artwork of the canyon punctuated this area (picture 2) with color.

Gift shops carrying high-quality clothing, leather accessories and gifts were located off the lobby. My husband and I wandered through this area, before moving on to see the dining room.

An immense vase of assorted flowers welcomed you to the dining room. Huge windows to one side of the room afforded diners a view of lush treetops. There was a bustle of activity as the wait staff prepared to receive hungry patrons (picture 3), who were beginning to line up outside of the restaurant.

If you think it would be wonderful to stay at El Tovar during a visit to the Grand Canyon, plan ahead. It just might be possible!

Bursland's Profile Photo

The South Rim is on your Doorstep

by written on May 24, 2006

We stayed at the El Tover Hotel on day 12 and 13 of our route 66 Road Trip ( not on Route 66 I know but so close ) .We arrived late in the afternoon and were shown to our room, which was on the ground floor.Help with the bags so much appreciated after a long drive from Winslow.The view was disappointing as any view of the canyon was obscured by the front porch of the hotel.Being just a stones throw from the canyon edge we were hoping for better.However I am sure some of the rooms would have a great view.Right in the Grand Canyon Village so loads to see and do.If arriving by road there are good sized car parks and if arriving via the Grand Canyon Railroad the station is moments away.

Unique Quality: The restaurant was superb ,we ate in the hotel both nights of our stay. You really need to book as there are tables by the window that look out over the canyon and these get booked pretty soon.However we had one table in the middle without a view and the next night right in the window.Anyway the food is excellent and the service good to what more could you want.There is also a terrace looking across a lawn to the canyon where you can sit and chill out with your favourite companion and enjoy a drink.

Directions: Right on the South Rim of the Canyon

cfuentesm's Profile Photo

El Tovar Hotel

by written on October 8, 2005

The best hotel at Grand Canyon and an historical place as well. Located at the South Rim of the Canyon, El Tovar Hotel offers superb accommodations within the park itself. Try to get a room vith the Canyon view and hope for a night of thunderstorm.

where2next's Profile Photo

Room with a View

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 17, 2003

Since I had saved a bunch of money camping, when the opportunity came to stay at El Tovar, I thought why not.

What I found is that one could probably enjoy some of the niceties of the hotel without having to stay there. I would recommend just taking a walk through just to see what it is all about and save some money. This is moreso since the room was average and only a few of them actually face towards the canyon.

Unique Quality: Although pricey, the El Tovar was relaxing. There are a couple porches where one could sit back and relax. Also, the second floor has a piano, and at night there was some relaxing music playing. The interior, like that of the Bright Angel Lodge, has a western theme.

As mentioned above, I would recommend taking a tour of El Tovar, though stay at another lodge or hotel and then put the saved money towards a good meal!

FreeCloud's Profile Photo

Historic and with a great view

by written on September 2, 2002

1905 built historic El Tovar Hotel

Unique Quality: A historic hotel with a great view of the Grand Canyon.

Plus an excellent restaurant.

Directions: At the south rim of the Grand Canyon, inside the historic Grand Canyon village.

El Tovar Hotel

by written on August 26, 2002

This is a very expensive hotel... well, at least I think it is... it's definitely above $100 / night. They quote $118 to $176... the latter would be more appropriate in summer, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was around $200 /night for a family of 4.

Unique Quality: I didn't actually stay here, but I thought I'd put it for reference. I did step inside though! ;) Anyway, this is probably the most famous hotel at the Grand Canyon and the one most people think of. It was even featured in 'National Lampoon's Vacation.' Anyway, the lobby is very grandiose in a rustic sort of way, with big wooden beams and such. Anyway, very nice interior. Some rooms overlook the canyon, as the hotel literally sits yards away from the rim, which makes for a very easy way of getting up and capturing a nice morning shot of the canyon! :)

Directions: South Rim of the Grand Canyon in the historic section of Grand Canyon Village

silvia-m.b's Profile Photo

El Tovar Hotel...

by written on August 25, 2002

El Tovar Hotel unquestionable!!! Why? A little of history, When the Santa Fe railroad first reached Grand Canyon, construction was immediately begun on a first class hotel to accommodate travelers. Built of native boulders and Oregon Pine, the majestic, 100-room hotel opened January 14, 1905. It was named El Tovar in honor of the Spanish explorer Pedro de Tovar (not me, snif, snif!!!!) who had led the first expedition to Hopi Indian country in 1540.
The Fred harvey Company was the logical choice to run the new El Tovar; Fred Harvey had been building and operating outstanding facilities for food and rest along the Santa Fe route since 1876.
Nothing was spared to make this one of the great hotels of its era (RRReally nice!!!). The building was completely equipped with electric lights powered by its own steam generator. Railroad tank cars brought fresh water for the hotel from Del Rio, 120 miles away; fresh fruit and vegetables were grown in greenhouses on the premises. The hotel even had its own dairy!!!!! The most important single consideration, however, was to extend genuine hospitality and the most courtesy to the new hotel's guests. (Like me in the picture, with my friend Lucy, working in Summer 2000' in Yavapai Lodge, a nice place to stay cheaper than in El Tovar).
The Fred Harvey Company was purchased by Amfac Parks & Resorts in 1969 and this tradition has been strictly maintained to this day (I'm sure of this!!!)....I hope that you enjoy your MAYBE future visit to this historic hotel.

Unique Quality: Price is not cheap but is worthwhile once in life. Great views!!!!

Directions: South Rim Grand Canyon National Park, next to the Rim, incredible views from some rooms

The El Tovar hotel is probably...

by written on August 24, 2002

The El Tovar hotel is probably the best on the south side of the canyon. We ended up in a huge suite because that's all they had left. It's kind of an olde worlde place with a great restaurant

basstbn's Profile Photo

El Tovar. Majestic hotel...

by written on August 24, 2002

El Tovar. Majestic hotel completed in 1905 operated by the National Park Sevice. Sits Crowns the south rim of the Grand Canyon. First class restaurant. Advance reservations strongly recommended.

goodfish's Profile Photo
goodfish Dec 30, 2014 at 11:27 AM

This lodge is inside the National Park - meaning a park entry fee is required to access it. This isn't a problem for travelers who are planning to visit the park anyway but worth a mention for those whose agendas only include Grand Canyon WEST or areas outside of the park boundaries.

Nearby El Tovar Hotel Grand Canyon

El Tovar Hotel Grand Canyon

• El Tovar Grand Canyon
  • El Grand Canyon
  • Grand Canyon El Tovar
  • El Tovar Lodge
  • Hotel El Tovar

Address: Apache Street and Center Road, South Rim, Grand Canyon, Arizona, 86023, United States

20 Photos of El Tovar Hotel Grand Canyon

View Professional Photos

Amenities at El Tovar Hotel Grand Canyon

• Restaurant
  • Room Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free Parking

Grand Canyon Travel Forum

Need advice about Grand Canyon, Arizona? Visit the Travel Forum for Grand Canyon and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Grand Canyon hotel reviews

Tour by Jeep
Sunset under the rain
The game of colours
Things to Do
Take an aeroplane ride into the Canyon
Book a tour of the Grand Canyon