Kachina & Thunderbird Lodges Grand Canyon

Despegar.com Otel.com

Rated 14% higher but also costs 112% more than other 3 star hotels

• OiKnow's Profile Photo

WOnderful view

In May I stayed two nights at the Katchina Lodge on the south rim. I booked ahead and reserved a room with a view. We were on the second floor with an excellent view. I would recomend at least a full day to tour the south rim. Sunrise and sunset are magic times at the canyon.

David

• mikehanneman's Profile Photo

Other Xanterra options

I haven't stayed at either of these two lodges. This is the rest of the list of lodging that Xanterra offers. Both of these are along the rim. You would need to make reservations 6 to 12 months in advance. Possibly more.

Unique Quality: Popular lodging around and next to the rim.

• Careful at the Lodges

The Thunderbird Lodge was the worst hotel we stayed in our entire vacation. It doesn't mean that it would be bad for everyone, but let me share our experience.

When we arrived in the room around 7:15 pm, the thermostat was reading 88 degrees and the AC didn't appear to be working. Since the temperature outside was 100+, I was concerned and called the front desk. They agreed to send maintenance over to check on it. Meanwhile, we left to watch the sunset over the canyon. Upon our return, we discovered that about $500 worth of electronics had been stolen, including our camera. (Hence no pictures of our trip.) When we reported it, the park rangers came to take statements, etc. They told us they were having problems with someone coming in through the windows. We were on the second story and there was a roof just below our window. The window was plenty big enough for someone to come through. Although the windows were closed, they were not locked. The maintenance had also come into the room while we were gone, so who knows what happened. The room below us had also been broken into.

In addition to the theft, our room never cooled down below 78 degrees even though the temperature outside went down to 56 that night. Even opening the windows to let the breeze in, did not cool down the room. Apparantly the breeze was blowing on the other side of the hotel that night. I only got two hours of sleep.
    The lodge has agreed to reimburse us for some of our room cost. I'm not sure whether it will be a full reimbursement.

Unique Quality: The beds and pillows in the room were comfortable and it was clean. We ate dinner at the El Trevor Lodge next door and it was excellent. It was the best meal we had, our entire vacation. Be sure to make your reservation well in advance and before sunset. There is a beautiful view, when its daylight.

Directions: Between the Bright Angel Lodge and El Tevor

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Comfortable accomodations at the South Rim

All of the accomodations at the very edge of the South Rim (and the North Rim, for that matter) are managed by the US Park Service. There are a variety of comfort and luxury levels, with the El Tovar being the nicest and priciest. Not consequently, the El Tovar is always booked wayyy in advance.

For a good family place to stay, good comfort and room at a decent price, I'd suggest picking the Thunderbird Lodge.

Unique Quality: Location can't be beat. :) And, on the South Rim, having a place with a really good air conditioner is definitely a plus.

The rooms are large enough to comfortably sleep a family of four, and there are several eating establishments within an easy walk.

And, like all the South Rim accomodations, the world's greatest sunset is only about 20 feet outside your door. Walk out there in the evening and watch the sun go down. There will be 100s of people doing the same thing, but when ol' Sol sinks below the horizon, painting the sky a thousand different shades and hues, you'll be amazed at how quiet it gets. :)

Directions: Just go to the South Rim and drive to the hotel area. ALL South Rim edge accomodations are at the same basic place.

More about Kachina & Thunderbird Lodges Grand Canyon

Very Happy with Kachina Lodge

by TripAdvisor Member debkurt

We greatly enjoyed our stay at Kachina Lodge. We had a second floor room with a view, that was wonderful. The furnishings were new and stylish, and the room was very large. Bathroom wasn't quite as nice as the bedroom, but it was fine.

We had to check in at El Tovar, which was easy and quick. When I went to the desk the next day and said how great the view was from our room, the desk clerk told me that they try to give the rooms with a view to people staying two nights or more. I include that as a heads up for anyone interested.

I would stay there again in a minute.

Rimside

by kop-queen about Kachina Lodge

We had a rim view room on the ground floor. Very good standard of accommodation. Last time we stayed in Maswik Lodge which was good but further towalk to the rim. We did struggle to find where it was and where we had to check in and as we were relatively late arriving there was insufficient parking available. However now we know the layout I wouldn't hesitate to book the same rooms again. Really close to the rim, wildlife outside your window, close to restaurant and gift stores etc.

Wake up to a magnificent view

by TripAdvisor Member Lindyloo1

We went to the Grand Canyon on a last minute holiday. We wanted to stay at the El Tovar hotel but of course as this was a last minute break they were full.
The Kachina Lodge is next to the El Tovar and you check in at the El Tovar where you are given the keys to your room - I must say that the staff at the El Tovar were very helpful and quite charming.
Kachina Lodge is clean and comfortable and we spent a very pleasant night there. When we woke up the next morning and pulled back the curtains WOW - we were actually looking down into the Grand Canyon from a large window in our room which was amazing. If we go back we would stay at Kachina Lodge again everying was great.
We dined at the El Tovar the night before and the meal was delightful, we walked over in the morning and had breakfast there wich was absolutely delicious. The El Tovar is a beautiful hotel and it is worth booking your evening meal before going just to ensure you get in. If you do neither of these things just going to see it is well worth while.
Kachina Lodge and Thunderbird Lodge are next to the El Tovar and look fairly newish buildings.
We had a great time and would have done nothing different.

Kachina was Great!!!

by TripAdvisor Member nfahey

In the Grand Canyon we stayed at Kachina Lodge. I was expecting it to be as bare bones as possible, but it was actually very nice.

We arrived before check-in time and our room was ready. The front desk staff was very helpful providing maps and asking if we had dinner reservations made.

Onto the room. The bathroom was recently remodeled and the room itself was spacious and clean with a coffee maker and small refridgerator. Only problem I found was the air was not sufficient to cool the room in the sunshire, but at night the windows left slightly open worked out great. The room was great and they provided some neat hair products.

After checking into the Kachina we had lunch at the Bright Angel Lodge. Two cheese burgers with french fries a diet soda and an iced tea. I cannot find the receipt for this one and it is not on my credit card statement...I'm guessing total was approximately $25-30...but I can't be positive.

We walked around the rim of the Grand Canyon taking a lot of pictures. The Califonia Condors are amazing. Their wing span is supposed to be over 5 feet. They are truely amazing birds.

Having never been to the Grand Canyon before I was awestuck at the natural beauty there. I really consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity to see it. There are so many people that want to see it, but never get the opportunity.

Dinner at El Tovar. Our reservations were for 8:45 and we were seated promptly upon arriving even though they were very busy. My husband had an appetizer (I don't remember what) and I had a scallop appetizer. He had beef filet for dinner w/ potato & veg and I had Roasted Duck w/ potato & veg. Drinks iced tea and diet soda. Food was excellent. Our sevice was good, but I can't give her excellent (very slow w/ some things). Total $133.58

Overall the Kachina was great and I would recommend it to anyone.

Right in front of the canyon and convenient.

by TripAdvisor Member KmarieC

Just returned from GC for 2 nights and glad we chose Kachina Lodge. Rooms quiet, heard no one nearby or outside. Warm. clean and comfortable. We chose canyonside and glad we paid the few dollars extra. We had jet lag and I woke up at 4am and with lights off looked out the window from 2nd floor and there was a big buck deer sitting right under the window just looking around (part of a family that hangs out there.) Coffee maker, frig, comfortable bed, lots of towels, and good quality soaps and stuff. Would stay exactly there again. Convenient. Also parking not a problem. Either in lot next to Kachina or out in the street nearby. P.S. November great month to visit, not too cold, not many people.

Great value! Awesome views! Wonderful stay!

by TripAdvisor Member kmbmommy

The Kachina Lodge was a great value for the awesome views. We were just steps from the Canyon rim and could easily catch sunsets from our window on the 2nd floor. The room was very clean and had everything we needed -- safe, iron, coffee maker, refrigerator, cable TV, A/C, hairdryer, free newspaper, etc. There are 2 queen size beds, a desk and armoire for storage. The bathroom was newly remodeled and they provided nice-smelling soaps and lotions. A couple of minor complaints we had were the shower curtain was too short and caused water to go all over the bathroom floor and parking was a bit of a hassle. After parking at El Tovar and checking in, we drove to Kachina and couldn't find a single spot. We ended up having to park further away than had we just stayed in the El Tovar parking lot -- they are right next to each another. Across the street from Kachina is employee housing and I wonder if they are parked in the prime spots? We were there for 3 days and I may have seen 5 open parking spots the entire time there. All in all, though, the Kachina Lodge met and exceeded all my expectations for our visit. I highly recommend the mule ride into the Canyon. My husband and daughter were able to go one day (you can make reservations 2 years in advance) and really enjoyed the experience. Lastly, a word of warning if you are driving to the Grand Canyon from the south -- Do not get gas in Williams, AZ. I had read that gas prices were outrageous in the Grand Canyon, so we stopped in Williams for gas since it was the largest city close by. They charged 40 cents per gallon more than the gas stations closer to the Grand Canyon. They obviously are taking advantage of the "captive" market who ride the train into the Grand Canyon.

Helicopter tours

by Alisonpj

Hi
We will be at the South Rim for a couple of days next March and want to have a helicopter trip over the Canyon. As far as I can see there are only 2 companies, Papillon and Maverick offering short trips from the South Rim.

Are there any other companies doing this?

Is there a 'best' time of the day to take the trip in March? First thing in morning, late afternoon?

We are staying at the Kachina lodge in the park - how long will it take to get to the Grand Canyon airport?

Thanks