19200 S I 19 Frontage Rd, Green Valley, AZ 85614

Arizona Family RestaurantArizona Family Restaurant

Arizona MountainsArizona Mountains

Thinking about moving.....

by awingsflyer

My husband and I have been told that Green Valley is the place for us....taking into account our likes and dislikes. We are looking into moving in a year or so and would like to have some input on the area of Grren Valley. We have two small children and don't like a busy tourist filled area. Any input on if Green Valley would be right for us or not would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

by elsensei

Green Valley, south of Tucson right? Personally I like N. Tucson better. From my experience very little of Tucson is a "busy tourist filled area", let's face it relatively few people visit Tucson other than a few snowbirds and such. Most of the tourist hit Grand Canyon, Vegas, San Diego, etc. Tucson is kind of out of the way in the far s. part of the state.

What are you looking for other than being away from tourists? That might help people give you better advice.

by dshinkle

I was driving by it yesterday so I stopped and looked around... are you thinking about retiring in Green Valley? Because that is mostly what it is, a retirement community full of senior citizens.

RE: RE: Thinking about moving.....

by bocmaxima

No part of Tucson is really a "busy, tourist-filled area" except maybe around Saguaro National Park West, but even that is very quiet at night.
Green Valley proper (although not incorporated, it does have a boundary) requires that all residents be 55+. This means that there really isn't much to do here and there exist some of the same oddities that are in other retirement communities (e.g. - excessive handicapped spaces, bad restaurants, no nightlife). To the south along Whitehorse Canyon Road, closer to Continental, there are a couple of fringe, large lot developments that might not be age-restricted. Madera Reserve I think is one.
The north side of Green Valley (around I-19 at Duval Mine Road) has seen a lot of retail development because of the development in nearby Sahuarita, which would be a much better choice for suburban living, although it's experiencing major growing pains right now (traffic, school overcrowding, etc). Sahuarita is also a major pecan growing area.
Green Valley does have a nearby tourist attraction though: Madera Canyon. It's difficult to get away from them in Tucson. Green Valley is also pretty large in population compared to other retirement communities (Rancho Vistoso, Saddlebrooke).

Hope that helps.

by MikePinTucson

Green Valley is still mostly a retirement community, so I would not recommend moving there.

While the northwest part of Tucson (really Marana and Oro Valley, not Tucson) has seen tremendous growth, the traffic congestion is absolutely the worst in the area, in my opinion. The problem is that, other than I-10, the only main road coming into Tucson is Oracle Road. I just hate even driving through, much less living there. But, my opinion only, so please don't jump all over me, other posters.

You might want to consider looking a bit to the east, off I-10 -- Vail, Sahuarita, or even Benson, which is really only 30 minutes by freeway from downtown Tucson.

You also might want to look in far east Tucson, along Old Spanish Trail or in Rita Ranch. there are also any number of older, established, central neighborhoods that you might really like.

But I really do suggest that you visit and take a good hard look at the different areas before just moving to a place. And that would mean driving the streets at the hours you would be doing so if you lived here. But most areas you will be looking at would not be considered touring areas. You didn't say where you are moving from, where you would be working, or what your likes/dislikes are, or what price range you would be considering. All of those things could make a big difference.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.

MikePinTucson@msn.com

Travel Tips for Green Valley

A forested oasis in the midst of all this desert

by zrim

The Sonoran desert is not well know for its trees. Yet Madera Canyon is nothing but trees. First hardwoods then pine forests. It all has to do with elevation. The higher up the more the rain falls and the cooler the temperatures. The residents of Green Valley tell me they spend summer evenings watching the thunderstorms rattle the Santa Rita Mountains while getting nary a drop only twenty miles away.

Comments