811 W. Hopi Dr., Holbrook, Arizona, 86025, United States

AMOMA.com

• sabogg01's Profile Photo

A step back in time

We arrived here around 7PM to see the sun setting. It was beautiful. All of the old cars added to the ambiance of the Wig Wams. I could imagine being here in another time when visitors were plentiful and this was a top notch establishment.
    There was no internet access but that did not bother me. There were no fancy amenities but then again that is not why we stayed here. If you come to this motel expecting a step back in time and not something modern then you will be pleased. Very clean on the inside and much roomier than we were expecting. Loved the benches outside. Would definitely stay here again and in fact we are planning a weekend trip soon to the Wig Wam motel in Kentucky :)

• frantz's Profile Photo

Not your standard motel

Built in 1950 by Arizona motel owner Chester E. Lewis, the plans were based on the original of Frank Redford. The owners are sweet people who love to talk to you about their motel and show you the museumroom. He loves to talk about his oldtimers, she is a very sweet lady. It was a pity that we stayed for just one night, if we come back there again we deffinetly are going to spend more time.

Unique Quality: The concrete wigwams hav just the basic comfort, but it is such a great experience to stay there. Since it was built not a lot has changed. Just enjoy it.

Directions: Just follow the signs from the Highway and you can't mis it.

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

Wigwam bam!

How kitch is this?!

Fab fun staying in a 'wigwam'. It was clean, had a TV and lots of hot water; and the bed was very comfortable.

Unique Quality: Don't forget to bring your ear plugs - the rail line is close by. Saying that I slept like a log here.

Directions: On the old route 66.

• Need a room? Ya, me too!

We called ahead of time to make reservations at the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ. The lady taking our request was very nice and helpful and we were excited to go. However, when we arrived we found that they had given our room to someone else and were now booked up. Not cool. We were all pretty upset but it was especially disappointing for our young children, who were really looking forward to the experience. We were able, after some looking, to get a room at another motel nearby but it still left us on a sour note for the Wigwam and it's management. Our trip just wasn't the same. So, drop in early and steal a room, it's the only way to get one there.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

ROUTE 66: Tip 47 - kitsch or what ?

"Now this is a piece of kitsch heaven"

"Are they real wigwams?"

"Those 15 wigwams are made of concrete, so yes I'm sure they are very authentic"

"I bet they booked up weeks in advance, especially if you have got kids, you can imagine the pleading"

"There's not much to see on the inside, they are very ordinary looking motel rooms, but for Kitsch value on the outside, you would have to go a long way to beat this"

"Are we going to stay here then ?"

"Not if you are going to do one of your rubber tommahawk jokes"

"Yes dear"

Next>>>

Unique Quality: You won't forget staying in this motel in a hurry.

• A Hotel that fits in the "must see" category, too.

I vacation to get a grasp of some peace and quiet. I knew it was out there somewhere.

Holbrook is peaceful. At night, it's very peaceful. Lounging on the wooden love seat of a bench -located in front of the wigwam I had rented;in Holbrook, at night -was extremely peaceful and quiet.

I had found it.

Unique Quality: Wigwam motel is located in a wigwam village. About 12 wigwams or so make up the village.
    Each motel looks like a wigwam on the outside;but it really isn't.
    Each motel looks like a clean and cared for room on the inside; and it really is.

As my wife and I traveled throughout the Southwest, we alternated nights between camping and motels.
    This was the only place that we technically did both.

Directions: Coming from the west, it's located on the right side just as you pull into town.

• mlafren's Profile Photo

The Wigwam Motel has been...

The Wigwam Motel has been well-known for many decades. It's along the historic Route 66 in Holbrook. I didn't stay there so I can't say anything about it except that it looks neat!

More about Wigwam Motel

Unique Experience

by TripAdvisor Member magnetik

My daughter and I stayed in this motel during an 8-day road trip through Arizona. It was truly a unique experience. The price is extremely reasonable (under $50 for a single bed), the owners are super-friendly, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. We had no problems with the trains. We could hear them slightly, but that was about it. We stayed and three other hotels during our road trip and this was by far our favorite, especially my daughter's. It was the highlight of the entire trip for her. She tells everyone that she slept in a wigwam (teepee). Keep in mind that the greatness of this hotel is in its nostalgic, unique charm. If you are looking for a hotel with all the amenities, this is not it. If you are looking for a unique experience (especially for kids or the young at heart), then this would definitely be it. I do have to mention that the shower was extremely ice cold in the wigwam we stayed in, but I think that was just an isolated problem as I haven't read anyone else having that experience. In actuality, it added to the memories my daughter and I have from this stay as we made a humorous situation out of it. I could go on and on, but instead I'll post some pictures for you all to see...

Unique and fun

by TripAdvisor Member colanja

The hotel is a bit of fun, a classic piece of nostalgia. Holbrook didn't impress me much off season in terms of offerings but the motel was great. There is a Safeway pretty much opposite which has the early morning coffee if you need it. There is a train line at the back of the property, don't let that worry you in the slightest. We couldn't hear it or see it at all even though we actually wished we could! (especially our 3 year old) I thought the price reflected the no-frills offering and we really enjoyed being able to stay in such a unique place. The owner (John) also has some interesting items in his little museum.

Comments