US Highway 89A, at State Route 67, Jacob Lake, Arizona, 86022, United States

More about Jacob Lake Inn

Off season price was too high

by TripAdvisor Member firebug0_0

Way over-priced for the off season in mid-november. Beds were adequate only. Cleanliness left much to be desired. Bathroom extremely small and cramped. Restaurant food good and reasonably priced for what we ordered. Food service good.
However, probably would have stayed at lodge that is closer to North Rim and what we wanted to do.

dirty little cabin

by TripAdvisor Member janNYC

The location was close to Grand Canyon North Rim. It's surrounded with nice forest and pine trees. The staff were friendly and the restaurant and dinner were decent. But the worst part was the cabin. We were renting a cabin with a full size bed. The room was very tiny and the walls were very thin. We could hear the next door talking and walking on creaky wood floor. I feel that all the cabins never get updated or had a good cleaning. The sink in the room was very dirty with stains. The bathroom was not recommended for a big person. The curtain was very dusty and had holes all over. Compare with other hotels that we stayed during the trip. Jacob lake Inn is the worst of all. We paid almost $80 a night which is the most expensive hotel stay for this trip. We would not come back again.

Unprofessional -- would not stay again

by TripAdvisor Member sahaliyan

My parents and I stayed at Jacob Lake Inn recently after spending a day at the North Rim. Those of you looking for housing options around the North Rim quickly learn that the options are fairly limited. In order of distance from the park, there's the Grand Canyon Lodge, which tends to get booked very early, the Kaibab Lodge (where we stayed the first night of our two night visit), and then there's Jacob Lake.

We opted for the more expensive motel option (as opposed to the cabin accomodation), and the room was very nice and clean. The area was also quite pretty.

Having said that, it is puzzling and even sad that such a nice facility is not matched by an appropriate level of service. We opted for dinner at the hotel, and our waitress, while not rude, was not particularly pleasant either. However, dinner itself was unacceptable, as the baked potato my father ordered was partly rotted. When told about it, the waitress acted as though she was afraid to touch it, and then eventually replaced it with a much smaller potato.

Later, in the room I could not get wireless internet to work despite a visible signal -- that happens from time to time, and I'm not inclined to hold too much against the hotel on that account. However, there was a situation with no shampoo in the room -- soap and even shower caps were provided, and we assumed shampoo would be as well.

When we called, a somewhat rude person first said that they had "run out" of small bottles of shampoo and suggested we purchase a large bottle of shampoo for two dollars from their store. When I replied that this was unacceptable (i.e. they run out of free small bottles, thus requiring us to purchase large ones), she changed her tune and said that, rather, they don't provide small bottles of shampoo in the summer.

Eventually they brought a large bottle of shampoo to our room, free of charge, after I brought up the issues with dinner that we had faced. We used what we needed, and returned the unused portion the next morning, as we weren't after a free large bottle of shampoo, but rather just enough that we could use to wash our hair.

It's not the two dollars that I care about. The room was well over $100, and we could have easily opted for a cheaper cabin room. We don't tend to skimp on tip either (the 11% tip we gave for dinner was the first sub-15% tip in memory from our family). It's the principle of the matter -- shampoo is their responsibility, and in my dealings with them, I felt as though they were less than truthful (as well as less than polite).

Other reviews on Jacob Lake have pointed out that the staff seems to be composed of students, and it seems that this was the case during our stay. Either way, they are somewhat lacking in the professionalism and courtesy that I expect. A pity too, because the room and environs were so nice.

A Interesting Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member AlbqTraveler

Jacob Lake: The Jacob Lake Inn - "An Interesting Place to Stay"
Date: June 7-9, 2007
Reviewer: AlbqTraveler, Albuquerque, NM
We stayed in the Jacob Lake Inn for two nights. We were assigned one of the regular motel rooms, not a cabin. The room contained two queen beds, a night stand, a table and several chairs. The sink was separate from the bathroom which we liked. The bathroom, however, is another story. It was roughly 4 ft x 6 ft. As you enter though the 24 inch wide door, you immediately trip over the toilet. Next to it is a 35 gallon water heater. The remaining space is taken up by a 2 ft x 6 ft shower...with no threshhold. As you shower, water can either flow down the drain or out into the toilet area. Be sure not to place any of your clothing on the floor or it will get wet. Also, there was no fan nor ventilation in the bathroom.

The restaurant in the Jacob Lake Inn consists of an old-fashion lunch counter plus an adjoining rustic dining area. We ate at both and found the food to be delicious. The bread served is all homemade. The wait staff was fast, friendly and very helpful.

Given that this is the only motel in Jacob Lake, we gave it a try. The room was okay and the shower an adventure. We'd stay there again.

Good enough

by TripAdvisor Member palrich

With very limited options near the North Rim, we joined many others in choosing the Jacobs Lake Inn. There are no other services for 50 miles around, so you'll find yourself having your meals (when you aren't at the park) at their restaurant, or at their counter. The dinner was pretty good, as was breakfast. Prices were fairly reasonable, although dinner was a little on the pricey side. Store was interesting, and bakery was excellent! If you want a picnic for the park, you may as well buy it at the store here, as the park's store is no better, and more expensive.

On to rooms:
There are three kinds of rooms: many small cabins, a 8-unit, old motel unit, and a brand new, 2-story, 20-unit "hotel" unit. If it is available, by all means book a room in the new unit. They have tvs, internet, and are a lot nicer than the other units. Well worth the price differential.
The motel unit (where we stayed) has acceptable beds, and the rooms are big enough, but as previous posters have mentioned, the bathrooms leave much to be desired. The cabins appear are tiny, and imagine the bathrooms are similar. Also, there is no AC except in the "hotel," which wouldn't be a problem if there was good ventilation, but there isn't, and there is no fan either.

If you can, book the lodge at the park. Otherwise, the Jacobs Lake Inn will do.

A good option in new buildings

by TripAdvisor Member mischiefChicago

As mentioned in many reviews here, lodging options are limited near the North Rim. Other than staying in the park, Jacob Lake is the closest motel. There are three types of rooms- the cabins, older motel units, and new motel units. We opted for the new units, which of course cost more, but I am extremely glad we did. I obviously cannot comment on the inside accomodations of the cabins or older motel rooms, but the cabins looked extremely small from the outside. We stayed in what was then (a year ago) a brand-new building, and the room was very clean and comfortable, with a back "deck" that overlooked a wooded area. I don't remember much about the bathroom, but I'm sure it was adequate (or I WOULD remember). One drawback was that there was a lot of ground still dug up, but I assume this was from the recent construction, and is hopefully taken care of by now. We didn't eat in the restaurant, except to buy some sweet rolls and cookies, which were good. In our experience, the staff we encountered were all polite and helpful. (check-in, gift shop, bakery counter). My advice about toiletries (for what it's worth), I always bring my own, so I never have issues in this regard. I even bring a small coffee maker and coffee, just in case the room doesn't have one. The only problem we encountered was a little trouble getting our door open, but my husband managed to wrangle it open. (They still use actual keys instead of electrinic locks.) In all, I would stay here again, but only in one of the new units.

loved

by TripAdvisor Member littletraveler07

I loved this little place, it was one of my favorite places we stayed. My husband and I stayed in one of their little cabins which was a lot of fun. It was nice to get away from all the noise of the city. Warning there are no TV's in the little cabins. We could have up graded to one of their NEW HOTEL ROOMS but we decided we wanted the quiet and piece of the forest. The food was unbelievable, try the jagersnitzel and the grand bull. Also a must see is their gift shop, theri sales staff knows about all of their merchandise. We got to meet the owner and it was a special treat to learn about the Native American arts and history, the man was amazing!!! He really knows what he's talking about and loves to share stories with no preasure to buy stuff. I would highly recomend Jacob Lake Inn and we will be sure to stay there on our next trip to the Grand Canyon.

So much fun!

by TripAdvisor Member Gizzmo4

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights at Jacob Lake Inn. Our hotel was really nice, quiet, and we loved the atmosphere. There were also really quaint cabins available as well. We were able to tour the North Rim of the Grand Canyon which is absolutely fabulous! We also sow the Vermilion Cliffs, Glen Canyon Dam, Lake Powell, Bryce Canyon, and Zions National Park. All these places are only a few hours away from Jacobs Lake!

The giftshop, front desk, bakery, and dining were really fun. We loved the workers, they were all very courteous and friendly and the food was fabulous as well!

Completely overpriced.

by TripAdvisor Member drmedina

Avoid this ripoff at all costs. Drive the extra 30 miles to Fredonia on U.S. 89A (it will only take 25 minutes). Stay at the Grand Canyon Inn. It will cost you $35 per night instead of $150 at Jacob Lake. Grand Canyon's rooms are thorougly acceptable (even have free wireless Internet). Although Jacob Lake is the closest commercial property to the North Rim, it's still an hour's drive from there to the overlooks. The 25 minutes more from Fredonia won't kill you, and you'll save a boatload of money.

Best surprise

by TripAdvisor Member Kachia

We looked forward to our first visit to Jacob Lake. We were not disappointed! It is charming and beautiful as we thought it would be. The greatest gift was the learning and sharing that we did at the lodge and gift shop. All the employees are ready to share Indian history and culture and smiles. They answered questions and taught us so much. There is so much avaliable from Native rugs and baskets to Jewelry and clothes and books and more. We will be going back again.. and again! The cafe has specialties! Great hamburgers, Real french fries and the Best Cookies in the West! And, this is a Family run adventure spot. Views galore! Hiking and photo dream land. Enjoy!!
Brynn and John