Holiday Inn Kayenta

Junction US Highways 160 & 163, P.O. Box 307, Kayenta, Arizona, 86033, United States

Kayenta Monument Valley Inn
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 65% more and rated 17% lower than other 3 star hotels

• I spent a year there one night....

Having never been to Kayenta, I relied on my previous stays in Holiday Inn Express to drive my reservation at Kayenta's Holiday Inn. In retrospect, I wish I had gone with the Hampton Inn next door and maybe gotten a better experience. Maybe people started doing that once they arrived, which would explain Kayenta Holiday Inn's "no cancellation whatsoever" policy. All the other Holiday Inns on my trip had a 6pm cancellation policy. You'll also need to figure in your room tax, which was about 19% when I was there 7/08. The whole place just felt dirty, but then, the whole town felt dirty. Our room was next to the Guest Laundry room and seemed to have water pipes banging against the cement bricks of our room all night long. So little water ran out of the shower head that I seriously wondered whether I would be able to rinse the soap out of my hair. Yes, they had Internet service - in the front of our room but not at the back. Most of the electrical outlets in our room were so loose that our cords would not stay plugged in. Staff did not seem to care about quality of service at all. My best advice? Plan your trip so that you don't need to stay overnight anywhere Kayenta at all. There really don't seem to be any good choices and I wouldn't do it again.

Unique Quality: I went with my son to look at the pool but chose not to let him swim. It didn't appear to have been cleaned in a consistent manner.

Directions: On main highway next to Hampton Inn.

More about Holiday Inn Kayenta

Don't bother with Kayenta

by TripAdvisor Member Jackieh79

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Kayenta as part of a 3 week road trip in the States and for a one night base in which to visit Monument Valley. The rooms were better than expected and fine for a one night stay. We ate at the hotel's restaurant as there seemed to be no other choices nearby and the very average food was made worse by the fact a mouse ran through the restaurant in the middle of our dinner...! The hotel staff (who had been unfriendly from the offset) made no effort to move us away from the mouse or give us any refund on our meal. Eventually we had to move ourselves (and our meal) to the other side of the restaurant to avoid it running over our feet!

The pool was again closed - maybe it doesn't even exist!!

Kayenta itself is a dump (and because it's owned by Indians you can't even buy a beer!) so we would suggest the following: Get to Monument Valley for mid afternoon, drive the off road route round the park (amazing and a 4x4 is not needed ) and then do not stop in Kayenta for the night but carry on..It's worth driving a little further towards your next destination rather than staying here. I hope this is helpful. Have fun!

The Real Thing

by histrionia62 about The Blue Coffee Pot

For some typical Navajo meals, this place is inexpensive and easy to get to. On the main drag in Kayenta AZ on the way to Monument Valley. They have typical diner food as well. Mutton sandwich. The meat is grilled carne asada style, and it is served on a Navajo tortilla (thick and chewy).

A GOOD BURGER, WHAT ELSE?

by shivan

USA offers you any kind of food, bu traveling often brings problems if what you eat is not what you are USED to eat.
If you are weak at stomach, then, avoid strange toppings or mustards, and enjoy the common, usual, stupid, marvellous, gigantic BURGER!!!
The biggest I had was in Kayenta, AZ. It was called the MONUMENT BURGER!!!

OK...I suppose

by TripAdvisor Member WJTaylor

This is a tired Holiday Inn in a pretty remote and run down town, but it does provide an adequate base for a night's stopover. It is very popular due to it's proximity to monument valley so book early. Worth putting up with average hotel to see the amazing Monument Valley....don't miss it and make sure you splash out on the overpriced but fantastic Jeep tours with the freindly Navajo guides...you'll not regret it.

was rainy but staff very sunny

by TripAdvisor Member mrfm#1

We arrived Sept 6th, was rainy and cloudy, but the staff was very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the nites stay. The dinner and breakfast coupons were an appreciated bonus and was the deciding factor in staying.
Will stay again and will recommend to others.

Pleasant Surprise

by TripAdvisor Member lneath

Having stayed here over ten years ago and knowing how Holiday Inns can be iffy, I was tentative about staying here. Since we hadn't made a reservation and this was what was left available in the area I was even more skeptical. However, my two discerning children were quite pleased as was I. The room was clean, cozy and the beds were comfortable. The bathrooms don't have the "new granite" but so what. The shower works the same and was just as cleanas the "granite counter top baths. We had a great stay looking out to the mesa behind us.

Kayenta, AZ

by histrionia62

"El Capitan"

This is a striking landmark as you drive from Monument Valley to Kayenta. Mountains like this are formed from upthrusted volcanic material. The surrounding sandstone has gradually worn away over the years leaving this hard stone plume behind.

"Near Kayenta"

One of the beautiful cliffs along highway 160 just west of Kayenta.

"Near Kayenta"

Another beautiful vista along Highway 160 west of Kayenta, this taken at sunrise.

Comments