2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Rated 20% higher but also costs 21% more than other 2.5 star hotels

More about Havasu Dunes

Lake Havasu - oasis in the desert

by sexyshoelady

As a birthday suprise for my dad me, my dad and my sister went on a road trip for the 4th of July. We drove from LA straight through the desert, and a mixture of getting lost and the desert heat of 130 F left us seriously believing we might not ever get back home. My dad is not really the travelling type and even an hours drive from home is asking alot from him so when I suggested we take a road trip, it took some convincing. I went onto MSN mapquest and enterered the zip code of the Havasu Dunes resort which I had booked us into in advance and mapquest gave a detailed map with driving directions, which I printed off, packed our clothes and 8 litres of water for the 3 of us which we thought would be enough. As we left all civilization behind us, our familiar radio station tuned into the local station which was good ol honky tonk country, which I loved because it just added to the the new, exciting veiw of the endless desert that lay out before us. The heat was swelltering and my dads car was over heating and being the techo-phobe that he is we didnt have a cell phone, so we rolled down the windows instead of the air conditioner to not over work the engine anymore than it already was. It was like fire outside it was so hot, by 2 hours i had already drank 2 litres of water but we still thought everything was going to plan but the trouble didnt start until we crossed the Arizona state line. Soon after seeing the state sign, we seen road signs saying Lake Havasu turn right but the directions that mapquest gave advised to keep going until you see Alamo road then turn right so we kept going. When we finnally seen Alamo road we turned right onto it but to our surprise it was a dirt road leading straight into the middle of the desert, my first thought was if we get stuck out here we are in big trouble! We kept going on this dirt road for over an hour, with no signs of life anywhere to be seen except some vulture type birds eating a large rodent of some sort on the side of the road, I had already drank 3 litres of water but I was clearly showing signs of heat stroke, my dad was worried but ok and my sister seemed to be in a trance, thats when we passed an Ariziona state government sign marked warning or danger, no human inhabitation zone then a minute later there was another sign that said Alamo lake 60 something more miles away! But we didnt want to go to Alamo lake! at this point I had cold sweats, my sister was talking to me to keep me concious so we turned back the way we came. then my dad then turned on that first sign that said Lake Havasu we seen some 3 hours ago and there was a Carls Jr and a gas station. I remeber opening my eyes and felt incredable relief, it was like i seen heaven!!! we went inside and i had an enormous iced tea, afterwhich i called the resort, explained the ordeal and the lady at the reception said well, we are just about 5 minutes from where you are now! I couldnt decide which i should do first - kick myself for trusting the website or sue the website or both. After a long rest, a giagantic iced tea and a bottle of gatorade we set off up the road (a paved road!), seen the beautiful lake lined with palm trees and the vast expanse of desert all around. We quickly made it to the resort and checked in - then went straight to the pool! on the evening of the 4th of july we watched the fireworks light up the desert sky and it was beautiful. We were meant to stay in Lake Havasu for a week but we ended up staying only four days, because of the 130F heat we were constantly looking for places to cool down so we couldnt really spent much time walking around, that and there was a lack of any real entertainment so we found ourselves bored alot of the time. We thought it might be nice to take a swim in the lake but with all the boats there was chemicals in the water and really strong gas fumes so we didnt stay around there either. So after 4 days we headed back to my dads house where at least there was plently of things to do and a clean beach to enjoy.

Comments