303 West Mckeown Avenue, Patagonia, Arizona, 85624, United States

Lake TrailLake Trail

View From Parking AreaView From Parking Area

Historic PlaqueHistoric Plaque

JessicaJessica

Taking a cruise to Pataonia, can anyone suggest excursions in area?

by nevakaryl

Hi, My husband and I are taking a cruise Dec 7-20. We will be stopping in Punta Arenas, Puerto Madryn, Ushuaia, Montevideo, and Porto Belo. We can take several excusions but we want to use wisdom as to which one is the better deal. We want to see penguins and we would also like to see the whales. Which location would be the best place to see these creatures? Also, what can you suggest regarding sightseeing in these areas since we will probably try to do it on our own and will only have about seven hours in each place? Thanks for your help.

by vtveen

Punta Arenas:
if you want to see penguins and you only have 7 hours, I would recommend visiting Seno Otway Penguin Colony, about 60 km's from Pt. Areans (about 35 km's is on dirt road). Be aware best to time to see penguins is early in the morning our afternoon.
See for more info: http://members.virtualtourist.com/vt/tfr/1/17c9c2/4/1845f0/
Further stroll along downtown Pt. Areans, visit Museo Regional de Magallanes and/or Mirador Cerro de la Cruz.

Puerto Madryn:
is the place for whale watching, but check beforehand of there still are whales when you arrive.

happy travels
Jaap

by crazyman2

Hi!

Wow! You're lucky! I wish that I could cruise around The Horn again!

Well, the Beagle Channel is a must when youi're in Ush. There is the Rambo or Ramba company that have catamarans for you to venture out on. It really is fantastic fun ---the seals, sealions and even albatrosses. I would do it again tomorrow, if I had the chance ---and I've been on many cruises!

In Montevideo, I visited a ranch run by a most amazing woman and her family. Apart from the barb-b-q, the trailer ride, the cow milking, the riding, the skin-skiing and the delicious wine, there was the amazing hospitality. This day was one of the best in my life.

Look at my photos and write-ups on the crazyman2 pages.

If you need further help, then do contact me!

Stephen

by virtual786

Check out Calafate, which is near Ushuaia. I have not been there, but, people who have say it's fantastic.

by vtveen

Calafate is wonderful, but forget it if you have only 7 hours. It would have been a 2 days trip from Pt. Arenas.

by karylneva

Thanks for your quick reply. I would have gotten back to you sooner but am having difficulty accessing the site. I had to become a new member all over again just to access this page. Any way. Thanks! We still are unsure what we will do. It looks like we may go ashore and check out the penguins at Otway Sound. We'd love to see the whales but unsure if they will still be there. Somewhere I read that most of them leave at the end of November. Perhaps we will see some from the ship. Thanks again for your help!

by karylneva

Thanks for your post. This company with the catamarans...... do you know how much they charge to go out on the channel?

Comments