Christopher Creek Lodge

1355 E. Christoper Creek Loop, Payson, Arizona, 85541, United States

• Christopher Creek Lodge

We stayed in the pioneer cabin. What a wonderful place. It is our new favorite place. The cabin is nice, rustic, and quaint. The grounds are well kept, and lovely. If you are looking for 4 star, room service "Hilton", this is not for you. However, if you are looking for quiet, quaint, and relaxing then you cant beat it. We had a wonderful time. Bed was comfortable, cabin was clean, and the staff was not only cheerful and helpful, but warm and friendly. We took our two small dogs, and they were relaxed and didnt want to leave. We will not only be back, but are bringing friends and family with us. Was one of the best stays we have had in a long time.

More about Christopher Creek Lodge

Friendly Helpful Management

by TripAdvisor Member VBPK

I stayed recently at Cristopher Creek Lodge. I came up with some family friends. We had rented 2 Motel units. Frank the Manager took one look at us and suggested that we my want to move to one of the tandem units. He explained the differences and allowed us to move the Tandem units which we really preferred. There was no hassel and no urgency. I really appreciate his willingness to help us to be more comfortable. The units are nicely furnished and clean. The Lodge area was beautiful with green trees and a rustic look. There was a play area for the kids. One of the other nice things was a small pit for a fire in front of each unit. We brought some Marshmellos, crackers and chocolate and had some smores. The temperature was 80 degrees. When we left Phoenix the temp was 112. Quite a difference

Confused

by TripAdvisor Member Thadtempe

I am confused as I read some of the other reviews on this lodge. I took my parents, my brother and his family up to the Christopher Creek Lodge for a night and rented a cabin and a motel room. I had soap, towels and everything seemed to be clean to me. Was it Resort style, no, but that is not what I was expecting. Selena who is 4 had to be dragged back into the cabin as she was having so much fun playing in the play cabin that was built for kids and there was an assortment of other things as swings and tires to play with. She also had a fine collection of pinecones by the end of the night. We walked around the grounds and although they needed a little upkeeping, they were beautiful and the cabin was right off the creek. When walking the grounds there were little signs about historical stuff that was there. I was a little disappointed when we got there that because of the fire laws, that we couldn't use the charcoal grill that the cabin had, but then found out that management had bought two propane grills so we could cook. We took our steaks out and the one unit was out of propane. I went to the office and asked the guy who was running the office(Frank, I think) if they had another tank and he not only got it, but installed it and we were able to cook. During the day it rained for about 10 minutes and that made cool down. When I had called to make the reservations, I was told that it was under new owernship and under renovations, so I was actually expecting alot less. My guess is that if you are looking for a Hyatt Regency or Resort experience, this is not the place that you want to go. If you want a nice rustic place that you can sit on the back porch and watch the creek, see some wildlife,( the squirrels almost came right up to you). with about the same price as a hotel room, then this is the place that you want to come to.

Unlimited Potential

by TripAdvisor Member Tempean

Christopher Creek Lodge (CCL) continues to offer more potential than actual goods delivered. To provide a reference point, I am a 61 year old male, raised in the foothills of the Adirondack mountains in upstate N.Y., looking for a quiet, somewhat rustic respite in a relatively natural setting for relaxation and an opportunity to fly-fish. During the last week of July, my sister, mother, and I stayed at the Fisherman's Cabin for two nights.

What CCL does well:

1) Cabins are located on the bank of the Christopher Creek, creating a relaxing, atmospheric environment that is hard to beat. The Fisherman's Cabin, especially, benefits from the sounds of the babbling stream which masks, to a large extent, the sounds from the nearby road. Though traffic has been greatly reduced by the 260-bypass (largely the reason that I now consider the CCL a viable destination), the occasional truck, car and motorcycle can be heard and seen through the few trees that stand between the cabins and the road a hundred yards away.
2) The cabins offer what I consider to be an ideal level of rustic atmosphere that does not include such things as cheesy wall-paneling that typify many quickly built structures.

What CCL needs to improve:
1) Housekeeping and general upkeep.
a) These structures have been around awhile, and though I gravitate to rustic, I also like clean and sanitary. The upstairs sleeping area in our cabin had two beds, each with a single sheet and blankets -- one sheet to cover the mattress, but none under the blankets. One can imagine how often the blankets get washed, and such an arrangement is, without question, unacceptable in the hospitality industry.
b) If the Fisherman's Cabin is any indication, a low-grade griminess pervades the facilities. Nothing blatant, mind-you, and these are rustic cabins, after all, but attention to cleaning is needed. The tiny, dark, dank bathroom, especially, needs attention.

2) Landscaping and maintenance.
I found that the pleasure of sitting on the porch, listening to the babbling brook, was compromised by what appears to be a local collection site for waste and disposables, and a blue tarp-covered stack of concrete about 40 yards on the other side of the creek -- the kind of urban visual litter that many of us attempt to flee from time to time. This issue could be eliminated with the simple planting of more vegetation to create a more dense screen.

As an aside, if visited again, we would get a larger cabin. With a large bed in the one-room living area, too little space is available for three people to maneuver.

Great getaway place

by TripAdvisor Member TRAILBLASER

On May 17th of 2008 four couples set out to hike "HORTON SPRINGS"in Payson. We wanted to stay in a rustic place that had charm and nature and water features.

Well, upon our arrival we found small cottages with porches facing the creek. Squirrels at play and adequite camping facilities. The lodge is off the main road making the location quiet.

The cabins had showers/toilet and sink, small but adequate. The floor plan included a Queen size bed, open kitchen/dinning area and wood burning stove. All linens, blankets, and kitchen utensils were provided.

We couples shared in the food preperation and ate all meals together. The cabins were really convient for doing this. One evening we used the grills in the common area and met other wonderful people and shared some time with the "new owners". We found them very personable,energetic,cheerful and they shared their dream of "CHRISTOPHER CREEK LODGE".
Great job guys! Hope to stay again soon.

Larry Bleichroth

Very dirty and run down

by TripAdvisor Member ccandtc

We had cabin 5 right on the creek. The floor had not been cleaned in years, it was filthy and discusting. The bedspread was dirty with stains on it and when we pulled it back, even the blanket had stains, it was obvious they had not been washed for quite some time. The bathroom was incredibly tiny, the shower was discusting and the shower curtain had something dripped all over the bottom..we couldn't use the bathroom. The place has not been dusted in years. There is so much dust, it's even thick on the walls. There was a huge hole in the wall stuffed with newspaper and platic grocery bags that an animal could easily have entered through. Luckily we had taken a blanket, sheet, and our own pillows! For the amount of money spent, we could have stayed in a much nicer cabin someplace else. Don't waste your money! This place is being allowed to fall apart...it was pretty gross! Not only that, a couple of guests allowed their dogs off leash and were running around (one was a great dane)...the management did nothing...when they kept coming to our cabin, it got our dogs all wound up!

Management kept their word

by TripAdvisor Member sequoiacone

My husband and I were all set to stay in a cabin in October as an anniversary gift for our 26 year old son and his wife. On reading the reviews I realized that the loft would not accommodate our 6'4" son! I also was a bit concerned that the cabin would be too rustic for our new daughter-in-law. I understood that the policy of the cabins was no refunds, but I hoped that the management would be flexible since we were giving them two months notice. When I called, I did not receive a call back. Later I was able to connect with Frank and he explained that not all messages come through well on their system, so he hopes that folks would be understanding of this. After we talked, he agreed to refund us, minus the cost of the charge (which ended up being $12.00).

I have not seen the cabins, but my feeling is that folks should realize that in reading any reviews of lodgings, that there will be some that are strongly reacting to an isolated event. It is best to use the reviews to get a general feeling of a place. If someone is comfortable with camping, with being outdoors, I imagine that these cabins would not be a shock to them. The web site clearly states the age of the cabins and their rusticness.

I wish the new owners all the best and I hope that they are able to continue to improve their facility and receive great reviews.

Sequoia

Loved the place

by TripAdvisor Member kleeblair

Christopher Creek Lodge is a great place to stay. The rooms are cozy and the property is unbelievably beautiful! There are many hiking trails nearby, but also lots of things to look at on the property. The place is pet friendly too and my dog loved it!

Cant wait to go back

by TripAdvisor Member abubuu

My Wife and I lived in AZ for 20 years prior to our relocation to Madison Wisconsin. We had heard of the Lodge from some friends who raved about it. I can say without hesitation that everything they said was correct. The place was clean, safe, and very relaxing. All the staff were freindly and attentive. It was without a doubt the best resort we have stayed at in AZ in all of our years there and prior. Thanks Christopher Creek Lodge for a great vacation!!!

Great Place for Flyers

by TripAdvisor Member AZAviator

As a pilot, I have visited many places around the country. While on a trip to Payson, we decided to book a cabin with the friendly folks out at the Christopher Creek Lodge near Rim Country. Frank, the lodge manager was an excellent host, and even came to the airport to pick us up. There was a small fee for this service, but he was very nice, and went out of his way to help us unload from the airpark in payson. The lodges and facilities were the best in the state. I recomend them to anyone flying in, or driving.

Enjoyed our 25th at C.C. Lodge

by TripAdvisor Member RnR4EVR

My wife and I first stayed at the lodge on our first anniversary. We stayed many times after that over the years. We stopped going there as the place started to become run down and dirty. After checking out their web site and seeing it had new owners we decided to give it another chance. We were glad we did, though still not the Ritz we had a very enjoyable stay. We enjoyed the wildlife, peacefulness, the nearby creek and the freindly new owner. Our one comment for improvement would be, a better job of mopping the floors between guests. The new owners are making improvements and we will definitely stay there again. Thanks Jason and staff for helping to make our 25th memorable.

Comments