Arizona Select Suites Airport Center

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Phoenix

Row of shops on Main StRow of shops on Main St

Spires of basilica entranceSpires of basilica entrance

Back patio.Back patio.

Twins waiting for a ride in ArizonaTwins waiting for a ride in Arizona

tv

by realsimple

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a real phoenix local to give me the inside tips for a tv show I'm are hoping to tape in arizona. I'm trying to find a location for a segment I'm doing on what you need to do to plan a successful road trip.

Ideally, the best place for this would be something with an iconic southwest look to it - highway through the desert or maybe a clay-roofed retro spot with a local charming gas station or something with a beautiful view that showcases the area.

DOes anyone have any ideas? I've called tourism boards, but thought anyone who lives in Phoenix probably knows the best places!

Thanks -
Pheobe

RE: tv

by WhispersWest

I will give it a shot. I am not a Phoenix native. However, I have day jobbed and Rodeo'd on plenty of ranches through out the area.

For the best deserrt road shots, I would suggest either the Superstition Highway (Hwy 60) between Apache Junction and Globe. If you want to film topographical changes, Highway 17 between Anthem and Flagstaff will take you from High desert to Pine forest in less than two hours. There is also the Beeline Highway (Hwy 87), which takes you through the Ft. McDowell Indian reservation. It is here on Ft McDowell that you will find La Puesta del Sol Ranch, http://www.fortmcdowelladventures.com/, which will provide you with hacienda type static backdrops for your filming. Along Hwy 88 (The Apache Trail), which is accessed via Hwy 60, you will find Goldfield Ghost Town, http://www.goldfieldghosttown.com/, and Lost Dutchman State Park, which might also be good sites for your shoots. Tortilla Flats might also be a good town location for shoots. The Carefree Highway is scenic all the way. After passing the New Waddell Dam, Lake Pleasant and about 10,000 saguaros, you'll reach 89 just a dozen miles south of Wickenburg.

I hope this will help you out. I am a southern Arizona girl, so I am more familiar with Tucson and all points South and East.

Take Care,

Bit Devine
Whispers of the West

RE: tv

by behappybj

I am not a native Arizonan but I like the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. I don't know how to get there but I am sure you can find it on the Internet.

Travel Tips for Phoenix

bring warm clothes

by goingsolo

always have warm clothes, i.e., jacket or sweater, for the evenings. It may be 80 deg during the day, but once the sun sets the temp can drop into the 50s or 40s, so be prepared. moisturizer!! for those of us who are not from dry climates, you'll be amazed how dry your skin can get. Again, be prepared.

bypassing phoenix (west)

by bocmaxima

Phoenix is not for everyone. It's a sprawling metropolis with crowded streets and freeways and can sometimes take hours to drive through. I always try to avoid it, often using really strange roads that aren't always on maps. The following are oriented for coming from Tucson to destinations outside of Phoenix.
West Route (use for I-10 West or US 93 North): The easiest way to bypass Phoenix to I-10 West is I-8 to AZ 85. You could do this, or you could take the old highway, which is scarcely travelled and much more interesting.
When you exit I-8 in Gila Bend for AZ 85 north, stay on the ramp until you hit southbound AZ 85. Take the first right that's possible. This should be Old Highway 80. If you miss it, you can turn right at the next street and go back around on the neighborhood streets. Old Highway 80 will take you alongside the Gila River, past cotton fields, one of Arizona's two remaining shrimp farms, and eventually to a beautiful old suspension bridge. The road then curves into the hills. You'll hit the village of Hassayampa and will need to turn left onto Salome Highway (there should be some large power lines nearby). Follow this several miles to 355th Avenue and take a right. That's the end of the hard part, so just enjoy the drive through the desolate Hassayampa Plain. At the stop sign, turn right to stay on the paved road and you'll be near Vulture Mine, and then Wickenburg. When you hit US 60, you can continue to US 93 by going straight.

Excellent Food - Pretty Restaurant

by suzyav8trix about Latitude 30

Nice mid-size restaurant on the south side of Phoenix (but not in Awautukee) that is also convenient to Tempe. Excellent bar menu. You can very easily make a meal on a couple of appetizers -- say the ahi tuna and a kobe burger -- and if you do it during "happy hour" when their price is 1/2 off, it's not only good eating but inexpensive, too! The food is excellent and the drinks are good -- no better or worse than comparable restaurants/bars and comparable prices, also. The bar is dark wood, but well lit without being intrusive. Nice tables for 2 - 4 and conversation "pit" areas, too...

Now, the restaurant is gorgeous. Medium dark woods and hunter greens and some florals and white tablecloths -- almost, just almost formal looking, yet it doesn't feel stuffy. Personally, I have not eaten in the restaurant (just the bar) but my husband has and he raved about the food. It is a bit on the pricier side -- a good place to be taken by a supplier maybe? -- but it's intimate enough of a setting that it could be nice for a celebratory meal such as a birthday. Maybe if I get that raise I'm up for...I wouldn't mind celebrating here!

Also note, this is probably the best restaurant on or in the Pointe at South Mountain/Phantom Horse resort. From the bar menu, in my personal order of preference, I can highly recommend the following: 1. Ahi Tuna, 2. Kobe Burger, 3. sesame grilled chicken... My husband also liked the tiger prawn spring roll -- I cannot comment because I'm allergic, but it looked really good! Bring a few friends, get here early, enjoy your favorite wine or beer or mixed drink, go grazing on appetizers and you can eat well, very well, for not a lot of money!

Bamboo Club

by AVG2319 about Pan-Asian and Pacific Rim

This is my most favorite asian restaurant of all time. I have never had anything here I didn't like.

Our kids (who are very picky) love the orange chicken. This is my favorite dish as well.

Lettuce wraps are very good as well as an appetizer. The portions are good, the atmosphere is nice and the food delicious.

Take the Tour of Taliesin West

by KennyB

A trip to Phoenix is not complete with out visiting Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West.
This was his winter home and school for promising architects.

You'll be offfered two tours at the visitors center. My advice is to take the longer tour. You'll be glad that you did.

This compound is unique and an architectural gem.

Every room has its own special story of design and function. It was his home, his studio and his school.

Today, it offers an educational opportunity to a gifted few students from around the world.

Comments