Bell Hotel

Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 31% less but rated 29% lower than other 2 star hotels

More about Phoenix

Phoenix rising form the ashes of smogPhoenix rising form the ashes of smog

Saguaro populate the environment by Camelback MtnSaguaro populate the environment by Camelback Mtn

Amanda and the Star Wars charactersAmanda and the Star Wars characters

Going up the HOLE at Papago Park, Phoenix 2009Going up the HOLE at Papago Park, Phoenix 2009

AZ Cardinals

by Cheeky_London

I am staying in Scottsdale in September and was hoping to catch a football game during my visit. I am ok getting a ticket but I will not have a car, as i can't drive - would a taxi be expensive from Scottsdale to Uni of Phoenix stadium or does anyone have any suggestions for a way to get out there and back that is safe and reliable?

Thanks, whenever I visit USA I always try to watch some of your sports, but I think maybe this one is just too far away (sob).

by bocmaxima

Ooh, don't take a taxi from Scottsdale. That'd be close to $60 one-way.
Not sure when you're going, but this just started up: http://fsasports.org/page4.html

by rcgrigsby

very expensive!!! Unfortunately, Phoenix does not have a public transportation system that runs from Scottsdale to Glendale. I know it may be far and costly, but if you can swing it it will be worth your time.
Here's a brainstorming idea...get on some Arizona Cardinal fans webpages and see if there's a group running a shuttle or share-a-ride/carpool...bet you could find something.

by Cheeky_London

Hurray. The Shuttle looks a definite possibility as close to where I am staying. Do you think it would be a families/nice people type thing, I am quite easy going and a big sports fan and it would be fun, but wouldn't want to get on some wild bus with masses of drunk men and strippers or anything like that!!!!

I am sure it will be fine. I'll contact the bar and check it out.

Looking forward to my trip very much.

Kind Regards
Cheeky_London

by rcgrigsby

I'm sure they'll all be very nice. Going to the game should be quite relaxed...coming back could be a little more rowdy just depending on how much everybody drank at the game. (I'm certain there won't be any strippers)
Have fun, I'll think you'll enjoy it.

by Cheeky_London

Today was the day, I took the FSA sports transit shuttle. The guy who organises this was very helpful and it was all arranged before I left the UK.

Had a great time, had no clue what was going on with this strange game (I'm sure they make it up as they go along) and it was amazing how 60 minutes play can be made to last over 3 hours; but I enjoyed myself and my new favourite NFL team the "Cards" pulled off a lucky last gasp victory. So most people on the bus went home happy.

Would recommend visitors to the US getting tickets for any of these sports - NFL, baseball etc. A true slice of American life and great fun.

Thanks everyone.

Travel Tips for Phoenix

Superstition Mountains

by RACCOON1

Just east of Phoenix are the Superstition Mountains. It is and interesting region to drive through and the home of the "Lost Dutchman Gold Mine". Apparenly a gold mine was developed in these mountains around 1840 . Its location was lost then rediscovered by a Dutchman ( really from Germany ), and then lost again . No one has found any mine since . I am not sure if there is any validity to this story but there are web sites dedicated to the legend of the "Lost Dutchman Gold Mine".

Climb Lookout Mountain

by dshinkle

In the winter, most "official" hiking mountains in Phoenix are packed, with long waits for parking and crowded trails (especially Camelback and Squaw Peak). But there is one official trail that is only used by locals and that has beautiful views... Lookout mountain, in North Phoenix.

The trail to the top is just under a mile, and it is a quick, strenuous trip up. At the top you will be rewarded by a beautiful 360 degree view of Moon Valley, Squaw Peak, downtown Phoenix, North Scottsdale, and North Phoenix.

There is water at the base of the hill, but no restroom facilities.

The mountain is on 16th St. just south of Greenway Road in North Phoenix.

Phoenix to Home (Los Angeles)

by LaceyAdkisson

The Airport I would say was nice. Other than the $15 dollar charge for baggage check I didn't mind it at all. Before you even go through security there were all sorts of restaurants and shops. From Mc Donalds to Chili's, and little Mexican food places. I ate at one of the small venues and had a GIANT platter of exploding nachos! By the way not a great idea when getting on the plane next to a stranger. lol
I flew US Airways, there was a slight delay but nothing serious. I was not impressed by the inside of the plane AT ALL. NO screens for movies, and bad service from flight attendance. They acted like it was a burden if you said yes for wanting a drink.
And the WORST part was the pilot, on the runway going fast for take off the plane started shaking! I grabbed the strange man next to me and he said, "don't grab me! I'm more scared than you are!" That didn't reassure me in anyway. The worst part about it was the pilot never announced why we started shaking and the attendance didn't check on us. I didn't like that at all.
On our descent there was VERY heavy turbulence. And again no word as to why or ask if we needed anything. Maybe I'm just a plane snob but I thought it was terrible and dont want to fly U.S. Airways for those reasons.

Fox's Sports Bar

by goingsolo about Fox's Sports Bar

Fox's is actually in Scottsdale, but the two cities are practically intertwined so I'm putting the tip here. This is the place to go if you want to watch a football game. The large bar has televisions aplenty and its satellite dish allows you to watch games you would not ordinarily see in the southwest, such as my beloved Hurricanes.

The 'Canes did not fare so well on the day of my visit, but you can't fault this place for that. I didn't eat here, but the typical bar food looked and smelled pretty good.

Fantastic Desert Gardens!

by kimod74

I absolutely loved the botanical gardens. I really enjoyed the wide variety of cacti, aloe plants, and every other imaginable desert plant that grow in this region. The park is quite large with many trails. The plants are signed so you can identify them. I would highly recommend a trip to the botanical gardens if you are visiting the Phoenix area. Way cool.

Comments