4929 West McDowell Road, Phoenix, Arizona, 85035, United States
Hotels.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

More about Phoenix

Menu of specialtiesMenu of specialties

Location off Galvin Pkwy in Papago ParkLocation off Galvin Pkwy in Papago Park

Along the Apache TrailAlong the Apache Trail

Twins at one of the Splashpads in PhoenixTwins at one of the Splashpads in Phoenix

Restaurant near the Botanical Garden?

by jannaf

Forgive me if I'm mis-posting (perhaps this should go to a Scottsdale forum?) -

I'll be in Phoenix (primarily Scottsdale area) May 14-17 on business and am hoping to use public transit and hotel shuttles if possible to cut costs and lessen the ol' carbon footprint. Am hoping to go to the Botanical Garden one evening by shuttle and take the bus back (McDowell route?).

Two questions:
1) Anyone know how late the McDowell line runs? I'd thought from looking quickly at the bus website that they ran until 9, but someone posted on VT that they may only run until 7 in the suburbs. Not sure which category this would be in...Anybody know off-hand? If not, I'll make sure I find out before getting stranded.
2) Any recommendations for a low/moderate, fairly casual restaurant I could catch to the north or within 1-2 miles east on McDowell?

Thanks!
Julie

Re: Restaurant near the Botanical Garden?

by hoboworld

I Live in the area along McDowell Road. I don't use the bus, but I drive on McDowell often and very often see bus running along McDowell until about 11 o'clock at night. As a place to eat, there is JB,S general restaurant at the intersection of McDowell Road and Scottsdale Road on the northwest corner, there is the king's table, Chinese buffay, across the street on the Southwest corner opened to 9:30 p.m., there is also a Denny's restaurant opened all night at the southeast corner of 76th St and Mcdowell road. There is also a average priced motel on the South side of McDowell Road at 71st St.. I do not recall the name of the hotel. I do not know of any restaurants South, West, North, from the botanical gardens going at least 4 miles. Everything is in East or North/South along Scottsdale Road. If you want better directions call me. My name is Art. My phone number is 480-946-2400. If you miss me, I am a real estate estate appraiser and you'll be calling my business

Travel Tips for Phoenix

The Saguaro Cactus

by VeronicaG

Saguaro Cactus thrive in desert areas and that certainly is most of Arizona. Someone told us that it takes a great deal of time for this species to reach maturity. In fact, by the time it grows an 'arm' it most likely is 100 years old or so.

We spotted saguaro in the areas of Phoenix, Flagstaff and Sedona. As you drive by, they seemingly salute you!

Piestewa Peak Hike in Phoenix Mountains

by BruceDunning

This hike was nearly as challenging as Camelback. It is 1 1/4 miles one way, but elevation gain of 1200 feet at 60 degree angle makes it equal to about 2 miles one way. The trail is rocky nearly all the way and they are rough, jagged and uneven. Some flat path is part of the trail, but there is also slick rock to climb. The trail wraps around the back side of the mountain before coming back around the the front when getting close to the top.
There are about 250,000 showing up to hike yearly, and 80% are locals, with 80% of those in good shape at 20-30 years for 90% of the trekkers. I was one of those 2% at 65 years that climbed, and all wrapped up in knee supports, and needing a hip replacement badly(to do in Feb). That, though was the challenge for me, and I made it back down unscathed, but tired for sure.

Valley Metro Buses

by BruceDunning

They have metro buses that will carry you to most places around the valley, but cost is 1.75 per ride, or $3.50 for all day. We looked into taking this out to Mesa area, but chose the rail instead. TAxi was costly. By the baggage claim outside are various spots to take shuttles to parking lots, buses, or rail transport. Read the signs.
Info on bus travel is attached for your convenience.

Tagliani Cuchiani -...

by hidinginamer

Tagliani Cuchiani - Italian
Rositas - Mexican
P.F. Changs - Chinese
Slices - Pizza
Charlies - Coffee Tagliani's - Anything, probubly the best Italian restraunt in Phoenix.
Risitas - Chicken Chimi w/ red sauce
P.F. Changes - Lettuce wraps, food from the gods
Slices - salad pizza
Chalies - double mocca iced

ARIZONA ROLLER DERBY - PUNK STYLE!

by queencreekfreak

Arizona Roller Derby is truly an adventure. Good clean fun with a punk bent. You will see all different kinds of folks here but come ready for some loud and crazy roller derby fun. Two teams of women with names like Surlie Gurlies or Bad News Beaters roller skate their way around the ring trying to get the best positions to score points. It is fast paced and highly entertaining. There is usually entertainment and raffles. Beer is available. Check out their website for details on upcoming events.

Comments