Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort and Spa

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

5594 West Wild Horse Pass Boulevard, Gila River Community, Chandler, Arizona, 85226, United States

Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
Orbitz.com Sheraton.com Booking.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Sheridan Wild Horse Fails the 4th of July

From the start, despite a reservation with a PRINTED early checkin of 2pm AND I called 2 days ahead to confirm the 2pm check in so that my 83 y/o Mom would get into a room pretty quickly upon arrival. But no, no room ready, lesser view rooms offered but the type room we reserved not ready for 2 hours while she sat in a lobby, uncomfortable after a 2 hr drive. The whole reason I confirmed this was the two hour drive...had they said not possible I could have readjusted, but they said fine. And then FAILED completely. I should have left then.

But no, we checked in. We ate one meal at Ko'Sin which was awesome. Lobby bar food is great and service is wonderful.

But the rest? A fiasco of non-Sheraton level behavior and atmosphere.The room safe did not work, the mini fridge was locked and I had to call for a key.

But the WORST thing was people running around not properly dressed, bikinis in the lobby, bare-chested men everywhere, I saw more "butt cracks" in 48 hours than I hope to ever see again, and ALL of them in the bldg, the lobby, running around the areas where people eat and drink. One lady put her dirty bare feet ON one of the tables in the bar lobby where people are served food. Just non-Sheraton level stuff every which way.

Last year at the AZ Biltmore they also had tons of folks taking advantage of the $99-149 room rates, more families, prob more middle and lower income, lots of children, but the rules were the same : NO BARE CHESTS, no uncovered bikinis wandering around the hotel, lobby etc, signs to cover properly before leaving the pool. And people obeyed them and had a great time. All the Sheraton had to do was keep the expectation level high and people will comply. Instead, it was seriously Howard Johnsons atmosphere, Motel 6.....definitely not Sheraton.

And then the fireworks, which no one could see. Tables set up with food/wine for sale that IMPLIED a view....terrible music, nothing patriotic even for the fireworks themselves. And once the fireworks began people HAD TO LOOK THROUGH TREES to have any hope of seeing them. Pathetic pathetic pathetic.

Kos'in and Kai are wonderful and the bar lobby and maybe the Sheraton is great at other times but 4th of July? Not here, not EVER AGAIN. It was way below that par of service I expected. The Biltmore has it all over them for combining family fun, lots of activities - GREAT fireworks with music, and all in a dignified lovely environment. Sheraton Wild Horse misses the mark.

• Planner4031's Profile Photo

Beautiful Resort

Just stayed one night-a business trip. But I'll return with my wife next time we're in the area. Gorgeous setting amid open desert on the Gila River Indian Reservation-but well separated from the casino to avoid the noise, lights and traffic. I dined at the steak house-the filet mignon was incredible. Room was clean, and nice with a flat screen TV and a balcony overlooking one of the golf courses.

Oh, but be careful about the half bottle of wine on the counter. I thought it was courtesy of the hotel-till I opened it and then read it listed on the mini-bar menu. Clever $28.00 marketting ploy-a mistake I won't be making again. Other than that, everything was first rate.

Directions: About 12 miles southeast of the airport off I-10 at the Wild Horse Pass Rd. Exit.

• Check your reservation - poor customer care

In January of 2009, my wife made reservations at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass for the 4th of July so that our kids could watch the Fireworks display across the street. As Sheraton had a special, these reservations were confirmed and changed to the special price in May of 2009. Supposed to have 2 double beds, non-smoking, overlooking the parking lot (good view of the Fireworks).

July 4th arrived and they had given out our room. Their response -- so what if you have two disappointed children, we have 1500 people in our pool right now.

Unique Quality: Horrible customer care and service

• LostinLA's Profile Photo

Indian Reservation Experience

Great place to get away and re-load. Fairly new hotel with excellent service- the manager used to manage the Four Seasons in Phoenix.

I would move here if I could. Being on the Gila Indian Resevervation adds to the atmosphere. The Gila Indians are very involved in the design and management of the resort. It does not have a 'commercial' feel at all.

Unique Quality: Golf facilities are great- very nice practice facilities. Small spa, but very nice facilities sauna, cold splash, exercise classes....and you will come out relaxed.

There are horse trails but I saw very few horses.

Directions: Within 15 minutes from the Phoenix airport.

More about Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort and Spa

Sheraton Wild Horse Pass: Not Wild About It.

by TripAdvisor Member minemex

Just spent three nights at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass over Columbus Day weekend for a family get-together.

Overall, I would describe the service at this hotel as spotty.

On the dark side: Food service at the hotel is terrible. The main restaurants were closed on Sunday and Monday. On Sunday night at 7 PM, we had no luck with getting dinner reservation assistance as there was no one at the concierge desk. We had some unpleasant room service experiences as well. We did, however, have EXCELLENT service from Dave at the lobby bar. He took care of us and kept us laughing the entire time we were in his company.

On the bright side: AJI SPA. The ladies in our group had spa services, which were excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed the spa pool and the facilities, though the pool was in need of some bug removal attention. Note to SPG platinum members: you don't have to pay the daily spa charge to use the facilities. The staff at the spa was VERY nice, though there were several hiccups in food and beverage service during our visits. The spa shop is not well stocked.

While off the beaten path, this resort could have potential, especially if Starwood sinks some money into staff training and getting rid of the bugs around the pool area (likely caused by the man-made river around the resort). The good news is that the general manager is the former general manager of the Phoenician in Scottsdale, so there is someone at the top who knows the Starwood service business.

There is room for improvement at Wild Horse Pass.

Saved our vacation!

I have to start with a little story... We booked a reservation at the Pointe South Mountain Resort, after seeing their website, and reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. (I'm embarrassed to say, I wasn't holding much stock in what people were saying, because I often feel most people's opinions of what is "nice" are very different.) I should have listened to the TripAdvisor reviews!! Sure enough, Pointe South Mountain Resort was lackluster at best. We quickly got online, found the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass, booked a room, and checked out of the PSMR!
The Wild Horse Pass Resort is wonderful! The room was clean, simply-but-elegantly decorated, light and comfortable. The grounds are beautiful; the golf course(s) were top notch. The spa is AMAZING. The equestrian center was great; our guide was knowledgeable and fun. Kai, the onsite fine dining experience, was superb.
This resort is family-friendly, and still great for a couple on a getaway.
Thank you Wild Horse Pass for saving our Phoenix vacation!!

Wild Horse Pass/Mixed Review

by TripAdvisor Member peterandcatherine

I just got back(Dec 17-24th) from the Wild Horse Pass Resort in Phoenix. The facility is beautiful and tasteful. The on-site restaurants were excellent, with nice touch of using local ingredients and recipes. The Sheraton service pledge of "making sure you arer happy with everything during your stay...or they will compensate you in some form,,,was pathetic.

Looking for some peace and quiet at the resort proved very difficult, with early morning construction in the main lobby area and afternoon construction in the pool area. The pool with the kids slide was closed. The staff was a bit over zealous with 8:30 am leaf blowers outside my room window.

The $20 per day/per person additional fee for use of the excercise room was preposterous given what you pay for a room at the resort.

Per Sheraton's pledge, I notified the staff of my complaints, and received a $15 discount on my total bill(2 rooms for 5 nites).

Pathetic PR and the kind of response that will ensure no further Sheraton business from my family.

great anniversary trip with a few hiccups

by TripAdvisor Member MissLila

The service is outstanding. The hotel is beautiful and truly reflects the desert and Indian lifestyle. Our room was comfortable-nothing special, though they don't have the trademark Sheraton featherbeds. The two main restaurants are pricey, but the food is creative and great. Many foods are grown there on the reservation. The service in the Kai was top-notch - we were always addressed by our names. The other main restaurant's service was lacking, but again the food made up for it. We took the horseback ride, which is really a "walk" through the desert with no points of interest and no creatures other than a jack rabbit. Our "cowboy" Steve showed up almost 1 hour late and told us very little about the area, but alot about the poor tips he's received. Fortunately, the hotel only charged us for 1 ride due to the tardiness. We would have been ticked to pay full price. We were totally turned off by him. The spa is very nice - especially the pool area. Much quieter (soft music) and more civilized than the loud music at the main pool. You can only use the pool if you're having a spa service or pay $25 to spend the day there. We had massages and were told our therapist would find us at the appointed time. We should have been sent to the waiting area, as our therapists seemed miffed they couldn't find us sitting at the pool. My massage was rushed and not worth the $125. My husband was pleased with his. The receptionist also did not offer to have us use the locker room. I found it on my own and discovered the steam, sauna, whirlpool all at my disposal. The casino is a short boat ride away - we stayed 10 minutes as it was depressing and smoky. On the last day we rented a car and drove to Sedona (2 hrs) for the day. Hertz is on the property & even w/gold discount we paid $70 a day. I should have purchased the gas option because gas was up to .20/gal higher once we got on the road. if you stay more than 2-3 days, you may want a car to get around because the hotel is off the beaten path. The concierge reps were great. One even left us a small gift. All in all it was great and would return.

Lovely views, big comfy rooms and baths

by TripAdvisor Member Patiod

We used this as our "airport hotel" at the end of our AZ vacation, spending Starwood points for the room. I'm glad we saved it for last, because it was by far the largest and most luxurious room we had during our trip. Be warned though - it's incredibly spread out, and you do A LOT of walking here!

We brought our own dinner and ate on our beautiful balcony overlooking the pool. Only ate at the hotel for the breakfast buffet ($15), but that was good as it could be.

Because of a check-in mix-up (which the staff handled with great grace) they offered us starpoints, but we opted for a free gym visit for my husband while I swam in the hotel pool (one cold pool, one warm pool - what a great idea) which wasn't lap-friendly, but was relaxing.

Love it...great food and great food small children too!

We loved it! We stayed there for 4 days in July. Great food...including room service and poolside service. Very nice rooms with balcony's - saw amazing thunderstorms. Kid Friendly hotel but romantic too. Beautiful lobby with room to wander and take the kids for walks. The people at the stables were very friendly too and we even saw a wild horse walking around. All in all a great trip!

What a great place!!

by TripAdvisor Member HappyTrails0368

Just had a girlfriends' reunion here. What a great place! It is beautiful, and the service is very good, friendly, and down to earth. I think it's the perfect place! The spa is relaxing and so nice, and not that expensive if you just want to spend the day there. The casual dining restaurant is VERY nice. We had some great meals there, with excellent service and a relaxed environment where we sat for hours after meals just chatting. It's a really great place. Only drawback might be that it's farther from Scottsdale and great shopping, etc. We did find some good restaurants within a 10 minute drive that are easy to find (Ray Rd). But we mostly enjoyed hanging around the resort, sitting in many of the public gathering places, enjoying the fire in the fireplace, the bar seating in a huge atrium, etc. Excellent place.

Comments