Sterling International Hotels

124 South 24th Street, Phoenix, Arizona, 85034, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Phoenix

Phoenix far out therePhoenix far out there

View by the entrance in Heritage courtyardView by the entrance in Heritage courtyard

High on the ceiling.High on the ceiling.

Son looking at polar bears in Mesa, ArizonaSon looking at polar bears in Mesa, Arizona

tv

by realsimple

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a real phoenix local to give me the inside tips for a tv show I'm are hoping to tape in arizona. I'm trying to find a location for a segment I'm doing on what you need to do to plan a successful road trip.

Ideally, the best place for this would be something with an iconic southwest look to it - highway through the desert or maybe a clay-roofed retro spot with a local charming gas station or something with a beautiful view that showcases the area.

DOes anyone have any ideas? I've called tourism boards, but thought anyone who lives in Phoenix probably knows the best places!

Thanks -
Pheobe

RE: tv

by bocmaxima

Do you want a view of the city or just a view? South Mountain is the only place that I'm aware of where you get a really good view of Phoenix and can drive to it.
I assume "clay-roofed retro spot" means an old adobe. By "charming" gas station, do you mean a non-chain? There's not much of that in Phoenix. Actually, Arizona doesn't have many adobes. That's mostly New Mexico.
You may be happier by getting out of the metro area, maybe even just go to Tucson. Phoenix is pretty sprawling and most of it looks like any homogenized American city. Even when you get out of the sprawl, it turns into farmland. Maybe check out the reservation towns, specifically Sacaton, which is pretty quiet and certainly looks like the desert.
Black Canyon City is very touristy, but it's also pretty close to what I think you're looking for. It's an odd place.
If you're willing to drive further south, there's also Ajo and Why.

hth

RE: tv

by MDUBYAZ

You should watch the movie UTURN. It was filmed in Superior, Arizona, which is 45 minutes outside of Phoenix. It is very rustic and authentic still...but kinda scary. Prescott is a city 90 miles from Phoenix that still maintains some old charm. But actually in Phoenix, that will be difficult. If you hike up Camelback mountain, you have a beautiful panorama of the Valley. Likewise if you hike Squaw Peak. The town of Cave Creek to the North of Phoenix and still in the County of Maricopa might be a place that has a few older looking gas stations. But in the Valley, I can't think of any old gas stations. If you have further questions, give me a shout. I am a native. Good luck!

Mark

RE: RE: tv

by YVRDave

Sedona may have more of what you are looking for.
I could recommend Greasewood Flat but it has a different look. http://www.greasewoodflat.net/
Maybe Rawhide

RE: RE: tv

by marie&ariel

Wickenburg is a small town but it has that old feeling. Not to far from the Phoenix Metro area.
Also consider Jerome, AZ.

Travel Tips for Phoenix

Packing List

by queenlivia

any kind. Ok these are musts for the phoenix summer: sunglasses, and a high sunblock, you can get sunburned really easily.
Shorts and light clothes, the dry heat is not nice with people. there's so much sun, the pictures you take could be overesposed. Sunglasses and sunblock

Collossal Cave Mountain Park

by HeidiR

It probably takes between 3 and 4 hrs to get to this park from Phoenix but if you like caves this is the place to go.

It is Americas largest dormant cave, dry cave, if it ever gets wet it will start growing again.

Tours are $7.50 and last 45 minutes

Brews and Grub

by bilgeez about Coyote Springs Brewery

Coyote Springs has two locations; one on 20th Street and Camelback, which I frequented too often when I lived in that area, and downtown, at Washington and third streets, across from America West Arena and the Civic Center Plaza.
CS brews their own. They usually have at least a half-dozen of their own beers on tap, plus some "guest brews". I always took the in-house, most were excellent. I would say of all the brew pubs I have visited this would have to rate the best for quality of beer, food, service and staff AND atmosphere. The Camelback location has a nice patio outdoors as well as a roomy and nicely decorated bar and restaurant area.
The Camelback location used to have live jazz on Sunday nights, I am checking to see if they still do, they had some good entertainers there in the past!
Downtown has a few outdoor seats, but is very limited.
The Camelback location is my favorite because of it's overall appeal. It's more spacious and seems to have better staff than the downtown location. It has a very high rating from Beer Expo.com, 4.8 out of 5. So can't be too bad in the eyes of others! Favorite dish? Try favorite beer. The koelsch they made in the past is the best koelsch-style beer I've ever had! Very pure and clear, but not too light and hoppy-tasting! They also made a dyn-o-mite porter and hefe weizen in the past. I would go there just for the beer!
However, their food isn't bad, either. They make a very decent personal-size bar pizza, with many toppings to offer. Their sandwiches were always well portioned and nicely presented. They had some excellent appetizers, including a mexican-style, with chips, salsa and melted cheese. Not your usual nacho one may find almost anywhere, very tasty and filling! All their items seem to be made in-house. The only thing I was told they out-sourced, was their desserts, but they were made locally by a baker that baked for the finer restaurants in Phoenix.
When I go back, this will be the first place I visit! This is one place I really miss in Valle del Sol!

Hidden Gem of a Restaurant

by queencreekfreak about Asi Es La Vida

Basically I am a lunch-time foodie. I work in Central Phoenix and one of my favorite past-times is to hunt out new lunch venues for co-workers and clients.

I passed by this restaurant numerous times and finally had lunch there with a co-worker. We were so pleasantly surprised. This is an intimate little place with a cute decor, table cloths and cloth napkins. The service was was wonderful and the food was excellent. We were also treated to a guitar player in the dining room which made for a very relaxing lunch.

The fare is Mexican in the central-southern Mexico style. We enjoyed their guacamole. I need to go back for dinner sometime soon. Seafood Enchiladas and Guacamole.

A Day with Frank Lloyd Wright

by catalysta

Wright's Taliesen West is the locale he selected to establish a school of architecture, which is still thriving.

In addition to this prime example of his uncanny ability to draw the outdoor environment into a building's interior, the site has a number of wonderful sculptures by former residents/students.

I've put together a travelogue page with some shots around the site.

Comments