5402 E Lincoln Dr., Scottsdale, Arizona, 85253, United States

JW Marriott Camelback Inn Scottsdale Resort & Spa
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• YOU SHOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU STAY HERE.

My wife and I stayed at the J.W. Marriott (Camelback Inn) Resort & Spa in Paradise Valley, (Scottsdale) AZ from November 6 thru 10, 2010. We would never stay there again. We would probably never stay at any other Marriott property in the future as well. Here is a brief summary of our recent hotel experience. We arrive around 6PM and go the room. Ok size room, appears clean & comfortable, two queen beds, extra vanity outside the bathroom, patio, coffee machine & refrigerator in bar area. Get ready to go the dinner at BLT steak house at hotel. Sink outside bathroom in vanity begins making noise – call operator – she said someone will come and “take a look at it”. Go to BLT dinner (fair – not the quality a Morton’s, Palm or Ruth’s Chris – but similar pricing). Return to room – no noise. Go to bed and get awakened around 2AM from sink noise which continues for quite some time. Finally fall back to sleep for a brief period. We are not well rested to say the least. Call the operator again and she sends two people to look at the sink and try to correct the noise issue. We leave the room and return several hours later. No noise but no note or indication the problem has been resolved. Call operator – she has no clue – on phone for 20 minutes or so. Must get dressed to meet others – hang up not knowing if problem is resolved. We decided not to change rooms because the operator was not very accommodating & said we needed to pack and the bellman would move us. The process would take about an hour or so. I told her we were pressed for time and suggested the bellman could move us as is – or help us pack to cut the task & time required. She said no, so we stayed and took our chances. That night there was no noise. The following night (our final night at the hotel – THANKS) – got up in the middle of the night and walked on wet carpet and slipped on the tile (which was wet from the excellent job they did repairing the noise issue). Now we have a new issue – a leak of some type. Quite upset, I had difficulty falling back to sleep. I asked for a later check out of 1PM or even noon and explained the issues. The less than accommodating operator said no. We must leave the room before 11AM – which we did – NEVER TO RETURN. NOT ONCE did the hotel or any of the several people I discussed these matters with offer us anything for our inconvenience and poor accommodations they OVER charged us for – not even a simple - “we are sorry”- I guess this is the new standard of Marriott service one could & should expect on any future Marriott stays. – Why chance it? P.S. the bedding (not Hyatt or Westin quality) was equal to a 2 or 3 star hotel at best & the pillows were hard. By the way – I was charged over $300 per night for this “luxury room”. The entire time of our stay the sidewalk lights were off & not working for about 100 yards of the walk from the room to the lobby. YOU SHOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU STAY HERE.

• magdalena2007's Profile Photo

Paradise

I was speechless when I saw this resort. Absolutely beautiful and it reminded me of the 4 seasons in Hawaii. Every guest had their own little villa with a porch and a fairly large room. The resort was really big which included street signs. Behind the resort was a small hike for your morning exercise, a great bar/restaurant, and a wonderful pool. That morning I was at the Grand Canyon with 30 degrees weather and a snow storm, then that same day I drove to Scottsdale where it was 75 degrees and sunny and I was tanning at the pool. Beautiful hotel with plenty to do at the resort alone. (Oh, and the staff is really helful and pleasant)

• latinatraveler's Profile Photo

Luxurious spa & resort

This resort was beautifully set in an expansive landscape -- for which golf carts are used by employees to get around. The main pool (Jackrabbit pool) is open 24 hours. There are 2 restaurants on the grounds, in addition to the Spa's restaurant (Sprouts). The Spa is very nicely laid out -- had a wonderful Swedish massage and Loofah Salt Glow treatment which were phenomenal. My one complaint is that the Spa should have more treatments available or better packages. I would definitely go back.

Unique Quality: We had a fabulous room with two queen-sized beds, sofa and coffee table, kitchenette, and large bathroom.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Feel of the Southwest

I was impressed by the layout. The casitas are connected by roadways, walkways and bridges. Beautiful Palms, cacti and other plants are all around. It was interesting navigating these walkways and not getting lost!

Unique Quality: Was able to go to the Spa one night. Used the indoor hot tub, steam room and sauna. Also swam in the outdoor (heated) pool and hot tub. The facilities are beautiful and very relaxing.

More about Camelback Inn, A JW Marriott Resort & Spa

The Camelback Inn & Resort Spa...

by S_Potatohead

The Camelback Inn & Resort Spa is the epidomy of oppulence. I stayed there for a week back in '98. Heaven...
Runs around $450 US / night. Lower during low season Large, spread out. Incredible attention to southwestern decorating, huge rooms, all night pools, a super spa and food and scenery to die for.

CamelBack Inn Scottsdale

by TripAdvisor Member krohrig

Had a pleasant stay at The CamelBack Inn in Scottsdale. The Inn is just wonderful. The staff is more than helpful. The rooms were unbelievably comfortable. The decor of the room was excellent and other features in the room were great. It was a very peaceful stay. We did an all day tour of Sedona which we booked through the Concierge. They were very professional and very very helpful. A tour of Sedona is a must!! The are now running specials at the Inn. I think you can now get a room for $99.00 a night. We did not utilize the spa but did eat the at spa restaurant and thought it was very good. If you use the spa services you get to use the pool and sauna for the day. If you do not want a spa treatment, it's $25.00 for the day to use the spa and the pool. Overall it was well worth the trip and I would definitely go back.

A Classic Resort in a Perfect Setting

by TripAdvisor Member BrooklynRider

Wow! I'm a bit astonished at the negative reviews on this hotel. I feel as though I visited a different resort. I stayed at this hotel from June 25th -29th, 2004.

The grounds of this hotel are beautiful and the setting, in Paradise Valley, between Mummy Mountain and Camelback Mountain is ideal. We were greeted promptly and pleasantly by the front desk staff and were given a room immediately. We were assigned Room 479, an equal distance between the spa and the lodge and close to the Jack Rabbit Pool. I am amazed at the complaints about the distances and can only guess that the car culture of suburban America has created a bunch of fat, lazy people who want to sit in easy chair and have everything in reach. This is a classic resort, built in a pueblo style and spread over beautifully landscaped acres. I assume the people complaining wanted the "typical" big tall hotel with everything in one building, Miami style. Our deluxe casita was beautifully decorated in Southwestern style. The room wasn't tremendous, but it was suitable for a couple. Our terrace gave us a wonderful view of Camelback Mountain. The bathroom was fine. Again, I have to assume that the complaints about the size of the rooms & basthrooms is coming from ostentatious, nouveau riche folks who live in McMansions in those ugly developments sprouting up around the country, where bigger is better and taste has no place.

The pools weren't large with waterfalls and slides. Rather, they were built with the terrain in mind. No rooms look over the pools - all offer beautiful views of the Mountains. The Jack Rabbit Pool was the main pool with excellent poolside service and an on-site restaurant. The Garden Pool was located at the lodge building, with all the lodge amenities inreach. The spa pool was more tranquil anbd reserved for spa guests.

Perhaps we had a better experience because we went in the off season. The service was attentive, courteous and always aimed to please. The restaurants were good to excellent and varied in price range and cuisine.

For folks using Marriott Rewards points, I stayed at the Marriott Mountain Shadow Resort - which is an absolute DUMP. I stayed at the Renaissance Scottsdale Resort, which was beautiful and luxurios - and again presented us with an ideal room in an ideal resort location. I would pick the Camelback Inn over both of these in a nano-second. Also, we headed out toward Desert Ridge and if you want a big convention-like hotel - more of a "typical" Marriott faire - perhaps this one is for you. It is out in the middle of nowhere - off a main highway offering views of the Desert Ridge Mall. The location was enough to turn us off. We also visited friend's staying at The Sanctuary resort on Camelback Mountain, which was lovely - however, it was ultra modern and trendy chicand didn't convey that laidback south western style I associate with trips to Arizona.

Camelback Inn was wonderful. As a lover of hiking, outdoor pursuits, native American culture, laid back luxury - this was an ideal resort. Leather-skinned, over tanned, platinum dyed hair nouveau riche, fat, lazy suburbanites with no true eye for quality, design, setting, and atmosphere might want to look elsewhere.

very nice hotel, but, if you got it from Priceline....

by TripAdvisor Member zonitraveler

Stayed 3 nights 7/17 - 7/20, because our house is being custom painted. Got an out of this world price at $50/night through Priceline!! When I checked in at about 8:30pm, the front desk clerk said "this is through Priceline. I wanted to let you know that your room is 'nondesignated' ". I didn't know what she meant so I asked, and she replied, "meaning it could/could have been used previously by a smoker,BUT, the housekeeping here is great, so I'm sure they've cleaned it well for you". Well, a couple of days prior to check-in, I called Camelback Inn directly and made sure that we had a nonsmoking room because I have 2 small children. No matter. She said Priceline guests are not guaranteed anything....
Being a local here, I have been to this hotel many times, especially the world famous spa, and have always been treated like a queen. That's why I was surprised by the attitude that this front desk clerk had displayed. Then of course It dawned on me - I got the room much cheaper through Priceline... why else would a world class resort like this have such a lousy attitude?
Having said that, the hotel itself is pretty high end, if you know what a casita resort style is like. All the amenities inside are there - bathrobes, sandalwood/bergamot toiletries from their spa collection, Starbucks coffee in the room, etc.
I will stay here again despite the minor problems that I've encountered, especially if it's for 50 bucks a night! what a steal...
My house still smell like paint fumes, so on to another hotel around the area!

An oasis in the desert

by TripAdvisor Member Sarah_london

My partner and I stayed at the Camelback Inn for a week at the end of August 2004. We used Tripadvisor in making our choice and I am VERY glad we did. We had the most amazing time here. Our room was spacious and well appointed. The décor was not dated or tired, like some of the reviewers found, and there were some very nice touches like the robes and the quality products provided. The mini kitchen with refrigerator was great for keeping the drinks we bought cool. Having said that we found that compared to many other hotels, the price of the mini bar beverages were very reasonable. Another great aspect was the vast selection of in-room movies. The only possible way to improve the accommodations would be to have a little more privacy as the walkways round the resort go right past the patio doors so you can’t really leave the net curtains open if you want any privacy!!

This resort is great if you don’t like busy crowded hotels. It is so spread out that you don’t see that many people around which gives it a real secluded and exclusive feel. I loved the fact that we could stroll down to the restaurants through the cactus and flowers and over the walkways. It’s a stunning resort by night, especially around the reception area where there is flute music and lovely lighting. It felt like a complete oasis. If you like resorts rather than high rise hotel buildings then stay here. You don’t need to be an athlete to walk a couple of minutes to get to the restaurants and pool.

The Garden pool was being renovated whilst we were there so we used the Jackrabbit pool which was lovely and big. One of the most special memories I will have on this holiday would be sitting by the pool surrounded by the mountains and up-lit cactus looking at the stars. I think it’s great that the hotel keeps the pool open 24 hours so if you want you can sit in the hot spa of an evening you can. The only improvement would be to have the music playing here too in the evenings.

We really made the most of this resort, by visiting the gorgeous spa, small bar area, using the shop, and doing the hiking trail which was actually very manageable, even for the unfit like me who’s most taxing exercise is getting the underground. We only wished that the cookout at the mini western town they have was open out of season as it looked really authentic and would have been a lot of fun.

We found the concierge to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They made some calls on our behalf when we needed to contact our airline and were great with suggested places to visit and directions. They gave us current movie listings when we requested them and were always so welcoming and helpful. In general the standard of guest services excelled all our expectations of a 5 star resort. Every member of staff had time to say hello and they were all willing to be really helpful and make sure our stay was everything we desired, from posting our mail to being unfailingly cheerful. The air conditioning in our room had a problem one evening and an engineer was there within minutes. When it didn’t turn back on straight away they offered to switch rooms and when we said ‘no we were fine,’ they still provided us with a fan and bottles of free icy cold mineral water.

Every morning we had the breakfast buffet in the Navajo restaurant. This was included in our room price and was well worth the money. We would still have had this buffet if it wasn’t included as it was awesome. I would recommend the huevos rancheros and blintzes which were outstanding and leave me very sorry I cannot get them at home. The sheer size of this breakfast was enough to keep us going till dinnertime. It surprises me that others penny pinch and complain about the cost of food. If you are staying at a five star resort you will pay 5 star prices, even if you have been lucky enough to get a discount room. The prices here were very reasonable for the high quality of the food. Who goes to a five star resort expecting cheap prices ??!! Maybe others would do better paying $2 for a breakfast at a fast food joint as I don’t think $18 is a lot to pay for a buffet of high quality food where you can eat as much as you like. Try coming to England where you will pay twice that for a lot less food at a less than five star resort.

If you are looking for an oasis in the desert stay here and you will not be disappointed with the quality of resort. The pictures on their website do not do the resort justice. We left with heavy hearts and can’t wait to go back.

Beautiful Visit!!

by TripAdvisor Member djsjbeck

We loved our stay here. Got an awesome price and stayed for 4 nights! We were able to experience a casita room with a beautiful patio and also a 2nd floor room with a huge private deck (maybe 500 sq. ft?). The grounds are beautiful and must include every type of cactus there is! The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Cant wait to go back and try the spa!!

Comments