Camelback Inn, A JW Marriott Resort & Spa

Value Score

Poor Value

Costs More than similar hotels

See Popular Hotels

YOU SHOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU STAY HERE.

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 14, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the J.W. Marriott (Camelback Inn) Resort & Spa in Paradise Valley, (Scottsdale) AZ from November 6 thru 10, 2010. We would never stay there again. We would probably never stay at any other Marriott property in the future as well. Here is a brief summary of our recent hotel experience. We arrive around 6PM and go the room. Ok size room, appears clean & comfortable, two queen beds, extra vanity outside the bathroom, patio, coffee machine & refrigerator in bar area. Get ready to go the dinner at BLT steak house at hotel. Sink outside bathroom in vanity begins making noise – call operator – she said someone will come and “take a look at it”. Go to BLT dinner (fair – not the quality a Morton’s, Palm or Ruth’s Chris – but similar pricing). Return to room – no noise. Go to bed and get awakened around 2AM from sink noise which continues for quite some time. Finally fall back to sleep for a brief period. We are not well rested to say the least. Call the operator again and she sends two people to look at the sink and try to correct the noise issue. We leave the room and return several hours later. No noise but no note or indication the problem has been resolved. Call operator – she has no clue – on phone for 20 minutes or so. Must get dressed to meet others – hang up not knowing if problem is resolved. We decided not to change rooms because the operator was not very accommodating & said we needed to pack and the bellman would move us. The process would take about an hour or so. I told her we were pressed for time and suggested the bellman could move us as is – or help us pack to cut the task & time required. She said no, so we stayed and took our chances. That night there was no noise. The following night (our final night at the hotel – THANKS) – got up in the middle of the night and walked on wet carpet and slipped on the tile (which was wet from the excellent job they did repairing the noise issue). Now we have a new issue – a leak of some type. Quite upset, I had difficulty falling back to sleep. I asked for a later check out of 1PM or even noon and explained the issues. The less than accommodating operator said no. We must leave the room before 11AM – which we did – NEVER TO RETURN. NOT ONCE did the hotel or any of the several people I discussed these matters with offer us anything for our inconvenience and poor accommodations they OVER charged us for – not even a simple - “we are sorry”- I guess this is the new standard of Marriott service one could & should expect on any future Marriott stays. – Why chance it? P.S. the bedding (not Hyatt or Westin quality) was equal to a 2 or 3 star hotel at best & the pillows were hard. By the way – I was charged over $300 per night for this “luxury room”. The entire time of our stay the sidewalk lights were off & not working for about 100 yards of the walk from the room to the lobby. YOU SHOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU STAY HERE.

magdalena2007's Profile Photo

Paradise

by written on December 12, 2007

I was speechless when I saw this resort. Absolutely beautiful and it reminded me of the 4 seasons in Hawaii. Every guest had their own little villa with a porch and a fairly large room. The resort was really big which included street signs. Behind the resort was a small hike for your morning exercise, a great bar/restaurant, and a wonderful pool. That morning I was at the Grand Canyon with 30 degrees weather and a snow storm, then that same day I drove to Scottsdale where it was 75 degrees and sunny and I was tanning at the pool. Beautiful hotel with plenty to do at the resort alone. (Oh, and the staff is really helful and pleasant)

latinatraveler's Profile Photo

Luxurious spa & resort

by written on July 31, 2005

This resort was beautifully set in an expansive landscape -- for which golf carts are used by employees to get around. The main pool (Jackrabbit pool) is open 24 hours. There are 2 restaurants on the grounds, in addition to the Spa's restaurant (Sprouts). The Spa is very nicely laid out -- had a wonderful Swedish massage and Loofah Salt Glow treatment which were phenomenal. My one complaint is that the Spa should have more treatments available or better packages. I would definitely go back.

Unique Quality: We had a fabulous room with two queen-sized beds, sofa and coffee table, kitchenette, and large bathroom.

garridogal's Profile Photo

Feel of the Southwest

by written on January 9, 2004

I was impressed by the layout. The casitas are connected by roadways, walkways and bridges. Beautiful Palms, cacti and other plants are all around. It was interesting navigating these walkways and not getting lost!

Unique Quality: Was able to go to the Spa one night. Used the indoor hot tub, steam room and sauna. Also swam in the outdoor (heated) pool and hot tub. The facilities are beautiful and very relaxing.

Nearby Camelback Inn, A JW Marriott Resort & Spa

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Scottsdale Travel Forum

Need advice about Scottsdale, Arizona? Visit the Travel Forum for Scottsdale and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Scottsdale hotel reviews

Scottsdale Mall
Worth trying to find
Great burger place
Restaurants
Great ice cream desserts!
Restaurants
Unnecessary long waits for a table
Be prepared to wait
Great margs and guacamole
Awesome Pancakes
Plunger Shot, anyone?
Nightlife
Great place for day drinking
Great Breakfast
The Sugar Bowl
Schlotzsky's Deli
Best Salads on the Planet
Restaurants
Want a Romantic Dinner with Great Food?
Heaven on a plate