Doubletree Paradise Valley Resort

Doubletree.com Priceline.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Lush Escape within the City

I was here with a group from my office, so it was partially business.... and team building.
    For a seminar, it is great - good conference room with all the AV equipment needed. The staff were prompt at correcting temperature concerns, the treats were great for our breaks. They put on an incredible spread for us out by the pool one evening. Of course, the fact that we were with a travel company and they wanted our business might have made some difference, but I would hope not.
    The rooms were nice.. large, clean, and we had a room with a little patio.
    The pool was great ... although I think there was another one we didn't use.
    They had a spa and great massage and pampering.
    The breakfast buffet was excellent.

Unique Quality: The water features around the property were lovely and calming. There were little quads with water everywhere. You felt like you were in another world... and then you go out the front door and there was the real world again.
    We had a hospitality suite for some of our more casual meetings, and the night we arrived they set up a real wonderful display of "munchies - fruit, chips..etc " It was a picture in itself.

More about Doubletree Paradise Valley Resort

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SAS-Arizona

I recently stayed at the Doubletree Paradise Valley in Scottsdale and was pleasantly surprised. I had booked the room through Priceline and only paid $60.00 per night, during high season in Scottsdale. The room was large with a separate sitting area, it almost felt like a little apartment. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. The staff were all extremely pleasant and check-in and out were a breeze. My only complaint would be that as I was traveling alone, the outside entry to the rooms was a little spooky at night. My room was on the very backside of the resort and there were never any people around. The rooms are set up in a bit of a maze, so finding your room at night can be tough. All in all, it was a great stay and I would love to stay there again.

Outstanding Experance

by TripAdvisor Member Titans65

I stayed at the Hotel for 10 days during the Christmas holidays. I have made my reservation for Christmas 2006. Great Location, Friendly Staff, and Beautiful grounds. I can't wait to return for next year.

Promises not kept...

by TripAdvisor Member shrinkingmary

I was very disappointed in my recent stay at this hotel.

1. In planning my vacation, several items were quoted to me in writing that did not come to fruition.

2. Apparently, they do not believe in heat at this resort; all meeting rooms were ice cold.

3. Washcloths were not replaced.

4. Noisy staff outside rooms starting at 1 a.m.

5. Messes made by staff were not cleaned up promptly.

6. The beds are very comfortable.

First, I am on a diet and looked up restaurant information at this hotel. I was surprised to see that 4 restaurants are listed at this hotel. Upon arrival, there was only 1 restaurant. They have an additional lounge but it serves limited menu items from the 1 restaurant. Also, I sent an e-mail to the hotel asking if there was a fee to use the gym. They replied that there was a $7 per day fee. For 4 days, I felt it would not be worth it, thus, did not pack any gym clothes. Upon arrival, the front desk advised that the gym was only $3 per day. Lastly, I called the hotel to ask about their "complementary shuttle." They advised that it would take anyone anywhere within a 2 mile radius. Upon arrival, the shuttle only went to old town Scottsdale and to the fashion mall. They refused to take us anywhere else due to their general manager's policies. So, we could not even get to a place to buy some water except the gift store where it sold for $3.

Secondly, I had to wear my winter jacket to all meetings at this resort. Even though the temperature was between 65 - 70 degrees while we were there.

Thirdly, on our last day, we received new towels but no washcloths.

Additionally, our room was near the staff kitchen area. Not only did it smell like garbage but their staff was incredibly loud at all hours of the night. For example, at 3 a.m. I heard two male staff members arguing loudly. Granted not all rooms are close to this and I understand certain noise but their staff needs to learn to keep quiet. By the way, my room number was 9122 and near the north side of the property.

Fifthly, we left our trash from room service out for housekeeping to clean up. When we came back later in the day, some salsa (half cup) from our tray had been spilled outside our door. The next day, it was still there.

Lastly, on a positive note, the beds, bedding, and pillows were very comfortable.

I will write a letter to this hotel soon and if they make things right, I will post an update.

Also, I read a review about this resort where they stated there were no elevators. I found several elevators on my stay.

A Curious Mix

This was the first time we visited a Doubletree and, given the price, were expecting a major step up from the Hampton Inns we often frequent. We were there for 9 days and had a mixed experience. On the plus side, the grounds are beautifully maintained, at least in the courtyard areas, the pools are nice, our room was quiet, the beds were very comfortable (a major plus), the staff responded quickly to our relatively few complaints and computer access was helpful. On the other hand, our room looked shop-worn - the draw curtain was off its tracks when we arrived, there were numerous spots on the rug, one of the chairs on the little patio outside our room had missing seat straps and the 2 side chairs in our room were uncomfortable and had no table between them so you had to use the floor for your coffee cup. Doubletree in the name of environmental consciousness (but presumably helpful to its bottom line) has introduced the low wattage energy conservation light bulbs which was ok with us but made reading a little more difficult. The housekeeping service was spotty - some days we would get a bathroom rug, some days not, no soap dish for several days, etc. Room service trays were left for long periods outside rooms. We also thought that Doubletree could offer around-the-clock free coffee(like the lower cost Hampton)instead of cutting off that convenience at 6:30 a.m. Finally, the food in the casual restaurant in the bar area was awful. Because of that, we didn't try the main restaurant.

A visually beautiful oasis with service and quality to match.

I just returned from a week's stay at the Doubletree Paradise Resort in Scottsdale and can report that it is a true find and as fine a hotel/resort as I have stayed in. I consider myself a sophisticated traveler, have traveled world wide and have stayed at the highest rated hotels in the USA, and Europe. This resort can hold it's head up to the best of these hotels. It is meticulously maintained and the architecture and landscape flow together in geometric fluidity. The design alone of this resort is worth the visit, and it affords the traveler a true oasis of beauty and tranquility. There is, aside from the excellent amenities, much thought put in to the aesthetic beauty of this place. The space afforded to the meticulously maintained green lawns, plants, towering and perfectly and symmetrically spaced royal palm trees, two well designed inviting pools as well as the generously sized and beautifully appointed standard rooms, each with private balcony or patio, make this resort an excellent choice. There is a profound symmetry of the architecture and its relationship to the landscape. They actually have and maintain a Sonoran botanical garden with seguaro cactus, and other varieties of local cactus and yucca plants. Moreover, you get an extremely good value for your dollar. I have not one complaint and would re-visit this resort again in a heart-beat if I could. It is the kind of place you will want to come back to year after year. I can assure the readers of this review that I am not connected in any way with this resort and that this is the first time I have bothered to write a review.

Loved The Feel

by TripAdvisor Member ExtraDebbie

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel knowing before-hand that it was older. I found it charming and wonderfully soothing. It is right on Scottsdale Blvd so it was really close to Fashion Square Mall and wonderful restaurants but still quiet. The rooms were very resort like with beautiful patios or balconies and wonderful grounds and pools. Lemon trees were all over the place and they were even offering the guests huge lemons to take home with them. The bed was devine. Oversized comfy room. As I said it is older but it did not smell and the furnishings, bedcoverings, carpet and drapery was mostly updated. No mold in the shower which really surprised me! Some cracked tiles on the floor but nothing that was offensive. I stay in the Scottsdale area frequently at upscale resorts and this hotel was right up there and less expensive. The staff was wonderful too. We had the breakfast buffet which wasn't that great but pretty typical.

Disappointing!

by TripAdvisor Member rockymountain

My husband and I recently returned from a week at the Doubltetree Paradise Valley Resort. The grounds and the pool area were very well kept and pretty. However the website had advertised that there was tennis and also bicycle rentals.

The two tennis courts were in such poor condition that we could not use them. It looked like they had not been maintained in years. When we spoke to the concierge about making other arrangements for the tennis, she said that someone would get back to us, and nobody did. Customer service was very poor given that this was our only formal complaint. I spoke to the people at the front desk about this a few days later, and again nobody seemed to care.

The hotel does not have bicycle rentals as advertised - they send you to another hotel where you have to pay.

The spa is located right inside the fitness centre, and you hear the noise of the exercise machines while you are getting a massage.

With so many gorgeous, well-kept resorts in Scottsdale, I would not stay at this one again. The location is good, but if you are interested in recreational facilites, I would look elsewhere.

Little privacy in rooms

Just completed a six-day stay at the Doubletree. The grounds and hotel are very nice. The location is excellent--within walking distance to the Fashion Square and a short drive to Old Town. The main frustration my wife and I experienced was the paper thin walls between rooms. Be careful and avoid any rooms that have backboards adjoining between the rooms. You can hear everything--I mean everything. We couldn't sleep our last night there because of the radio and then the TV playing in the next room. Could hear every word being said. I kid you not. The overall service was very poor. The breakast cafe was ill equipped to handle a crowd and the wait was horrific so we up the street to the Good Egg--a great breakfast place. Don't recommend you stay here unless you're a very heavy sleeper!

Christmas Day Dinner in Scottsdale Area

by shabingie

Hi Guys-

I will be visiting my parents in Scottsdale for Christmas and my mom would like to eat out on Christmas Day rather than cook--she's 70 and doesn't want the hassle. Any ideas for an elegant holiday dinner that won't break the bank? I've check ed out Mary Elaine's at the Phoenician, but I think it's too pricey.
Thanks!

Re: Christmas Day Dinner in Scottsdale Area

by ArizonaExpert

While a few nice restaraunts are open that day, I have found hotels to be the best spot for Christmas dining. I have been away traveling the last 4 Christmases, and always found a nice hotel to dine at. This year I am going to Hawaii for Christmas!

I would suggest the Hyatt, Princess, or Hilton at Lincoln and Scottsdale Road. There are also 5 other resorts on that 4 mile stretch (Lincoln south to Camelback) where you will find a nice meal.

Yes...Mary Elaines is the top of the food chain.

Re: Christmas Day Dinner in Scottsdale Area

by ArizonaExpert

As a follow up, the Christmas dining guide just came out today...here are some options for you in Scottsdale...Kids under 5 are usually free...

Chaparral Suites 480-949-1311 $7-$16
Doubletree La Posada 602-952-0420 $18-$36
Doubletree Paradise Valley 480-947-5400 $13-$30
Princess 480-585-2723 $22-$45
Hyatt Regency Scottsdale 480-991-3388 $19-$42
Millenium Resort 480-367-2422 $20-$45

I think one of those should meet your needs!

Comments