FireSky Resort & Spa - a Kimpton Hotel

4925 N Scottsdale Rd, (formerly Caleo Resort & Spa), Scottsdale, Arizona, 85251, United States
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about FireSky Resort & Spa - a Kimpton Hotel

Loved the Sunburst Resort, Scottsdale

by TripAdvisor Member LynnHereford_England

We spent 3 days here from the 26/09/04, it is a fantastic, luxurious hotel. Our room was lovely & well equipped. Staff were very helpfull. Great choice at breakfast. Lovely pools & sunbathing area. Within walking distance of a really good mall.

A nice time October 16-20, 2004

by TripAdvisor Member dace2huds

We took advantage of the on-line special $125.00 ROH rate during the month of October. The property is going through renovations on both the exterior and interior common areas, ex: lobby, resturant, pool area and some of the walkways to and fro to the room units. Room 410 was clean and nice the cleaning staff was very friendly we would leave early for golf and return by early afternoon and everthing was done up nicely. On the weekend the hotel was full, convention, wedding and class reunion so the staff was spread quite thin, However they always were friendly. During the week we more or less had the place too ourselves. It is in a very good location and they will drive you anywhere with-in a 5 mile radius, we took advantage of this service on numerous occasions and the guys out front where outstanding. The Spa was another good experiance my better half did three very fine treatments and I did a full message. The onsite resturant was ok, a tad high $$$. Go to Old Scottsdale for food and drinks there is a variety for everone's liking.
Beware of the tax on rental cars it runs @ 41% we couldn't believe it, they get you because you do really need a car the area is so spread out! Also if your a golfer check with the local clubs ALOT where closed for overseeding during October. I played two Troon courses, they were EXPENSIVE but worth it. All in all for the money we spent booking via Expedia on the lodging (Sunburst Resort) and airfare (America West) $468.00 each 4n/5d I would gladly return. It was the rental car price that made me CRAZY. I would have given the hotel a five rating but the ongoing renovations knocked it down one peg.

OK, but don't spend big money to stay here

We just returned from a stay at the Sunburst Resort & Spa in Scottsdale. (December 9 - December 13). I made the reservation months ago and was a bit concerned after reading some recent reviews. However I decided to stay anyway after talking with the hotel and learning that the multi-million dollar renovations would be complete before our stay. Overall the hotel looks lovely. Especially the shared areas (pool, reception, grounds, spa). The rooms have a few nice features but really weren’t as nice I expected them to be. The first room we were given was on the 2nd floor. At check in we were asked if that was OK as they don’t have elevators. One flight of stairs was not a problem for us. The room also had a courtyard view which we had asked for. (A lot of the rooms do overlook the parking lots.) However the furniture was old and rather beat up looking. I asked to be moved which wasn’t a problem We got moved to another building (closer to the pool) and on the first floor. I also noticed (as another review did) that on the 2nd floor rooms the doors to the hall had a pretty big gap under them. This was not so much the case with our first floor room. The rooms are also very dark.

A few things let the hotel down. Housekeeping seemed to have a policy that nothing was replaced until it was gone/empty. I am sure we could have got new bars of soap etc. if we had asked but it not something I am used to having to do. When we first checked in there were two coffee filters (both regular, no decaf) but from that point on we had to ask for a second one. The mugs were huge (great!) and 1 filter made less than half a cup each. One challenge….I was given two mugs for my birthday which we used the first day as they were smaller. The next morning when I went to use them I discovered they were gone. Housekeeping had decided they belonged to the restaurant and took them! It took some doing but full credit to the front desk staff (Gary) who was able to find them and get them returned to us.

The hotel has a "shuttle bus" (Cadilac Escalade) that provides free transportation within a 5 mile radius of the hotel. This was very handy for going out to eat in the evenings as we could get to old town Scottsdale and to the Fashion Square Mall.

I would recommend the hotel if you can get a good rate but won’t pay big money to stay with them.

Loved it, would def go back

My boyfriend and I stayed here last June. I have high praise for staying here....we almost came back to AZ this year for another vacation and would definitely stay here again. The rooms were VERY clean...that's a big thing for me as I am very picky! Also, good service, although the maids could stand to learn a little more English, but it was ok. The outdoor pool is nice....has a sand area as well. It has some other amenities like I believe a spa but didn't use it. The lobby is very pretty. The room is decorated very modern and all rooms have French doors leading to your own patio. The service could have been a tad better but no complaints. It was clean and modern, and the fact that it is not too big (like the Phoenician, which we visited while we were there) was nice. It was quiet and we always had primo spots by the pool. It is also right in the Scottsdale main hub, by golf courses (which we played every day) as well as other attractions a short distance away such as baseball, climbing, fine dining, shopping, etc. If you want a good nearby Greek restaurant go to Bachnal, in Tempe, I believe. They have belly dancing and you can dance and do the plate breaking, with a live band. My boyfriend is from Greece so that was nice. All in all, I highly recommend Sunburst and have suggested it to friends who are traveling to the Scottsdale area.

Good for the price

We stayed here for a wedding. The resort was a good value for the $129 rate, but I would not pay much more. The most irritating thing was the hour-long hassles we went through each and every day to get the small water slide turned on for the kids. Housekeeping was unresponsive one day but did show up promptly once we demanded service. The rooms are older but nicely furnished. The staff during the parties and reception, however, were extremely professional, courteous and entertaining.

OK if you get a good price, but don't spend big $$

by TripAdvisor Member BriWas

I stayed at the Sunburst for three nights in late October 2004 while attending a conference at the hotel. I booked my room on their Web site, taking advantage of a "stay two nights, get one free" offer, for a total of $258 for three nights (about $89 a night).

The room itself was nice, with plenty of room. It looked to be recently redecorated in a southwest motif. Surprisingly, it had no dresser or drawers anywhere in the room in which to unpack a suitcase. When I stay somewhere for a few days it's nice to feel like I'm not literally "living out of a suitcase." Two complaints with the room, one large and one small:

1. What is advertised as a room with a "lush garden view" is actually a not-so-lush parking lot view, with cars no more than 15 feet away from the balcony. I was on the second floor, and had a full view of the parking lot, and was awakened one night by a car alarm that sounded like it was in the room with me. Ground-floor units at least have their view of the lot blocked by a wall. The pool view rooms seemed to have nice views, but anything other that a pool view room will have a parking lot view, from what I observed. I think it's wrong of them to market the "garden view" rooms as such.

2. All the guest room doors on my floor had at least two inches cut off the bottom of them for some reason, allowing noise to freely exit the room. And, I'm sure that if someone laid down on the floor they would easily be able to see into the room. I put a rolled-up bath towel at the bottom of the door every night.

The pool area is beautiful and lives up their billing. I'm sure kids would really enjoy it, as well as adults.

Biggest complaint with the resort: staff attitude. To me, the friendliness and "can do" attitude of a hotel's staff is what makes a hotel good or not. Rooms, beds, and showers are a commodity. I can get that at the Motel6 down the road for a lot less. A place that bills itself as a "resort" in Scottsdale has set the bar higher, and should make extra efforts (or any effort at all) to be pleasant with the customers. This was not the case at the Sunburst. I travel a fair amount, and try to always give service workers the benefit of the doubt (they have a hard job). But, at no time during my stay at the Sunburst did I ever feel like the staff was interested in helping me. From the restaurant staff to the banquet staff to the front desk staff, nobody seemed interested in creating good customer service moments.

Loved it !!!!

I loved it. I will go back. I stayed for a spa weekend during 12/10/04/12/13/04. From the minute we got out of our limo we were impressed. the online pictures did the resort no justice. Our room was upstairs and did overlook the parking lot, but now I'll just reserve a different room. The pool area was awesome. the fire pits were great. The spa and the staff were excellent. I enjoyed every minute there. Old Town Scottsdale is within the shuttle service area and there is plenty to do and eat there for everyone.

Overall I love the staff. They did anything and everything to make sure our stay was over the top. My girlfriends and I were pampered all weekend.

The rates were great 2nites and one free was the promotion at the time. for a total of $90 a nite. well worth it.

Mixed feelings for this place.

by TripAdvisor Member Naupaka

I had to stay here because the Doubletree down the street was booked solid. My conference got me a special rate of $169/night, which I still thought was expensive. Don't get me wrong--the property is beautiful, especially the pool areas. The rooms are nicely appointed with brand new fixtures. And the staff attitude, for me, was just wonderful. However, there were some problems:

1. The rooms are really dark, so it's hard to put on your makeup in the morning.

2. There's no place to hang your towels.

3. The food prices listed on the room service menu are outdated--the items cost a couple dollars more than is listed (yes, before tax & tip).

4. Like another poster said, the housekeeping staff is a little inconsistent...and I tipped every day! Every day, the bathmat was something different--sometimes it was a bathmat, some days it was a folded jumbo towel, some days it was a hand towel. That was a little wierd. I packed away the shampoos and soaps on the first night, but these were not replenished till I asked. I used the room's robe and left it on the bed when I left for the day, but when I came back it was gone. I had to request a new one, but each time I was faced with the same situation. So, every other day I did not have a robe to use. I used up all the coffee stirrers and the sugar, but that was not replenished till I asked. There was one day when I had asked for this to be replenished as well as the soaps, so they overfilled the coffee items, left me 2 robes, filled the soaps, and even left a rubber mat for the tub (which I had never seen before!).

I guess the biggest concern was the housekeeping staff--maybe they are not trained with a checklist of items to have in the room before they are done. I would expect this from a hotel that was charging $45/night, not one at $169/night with discount.

Other than that, the staff was great and went to great lengths to ensure all other needs were taken care of. I'd stay there again if I HAD to, but if I could find a better hotel I'd probably go there.

I should add that my conference was down the street at the Doubletree Paradise. There were a few negative comments on staff there, too. Again, many inconsistencies in service--sometimes they were excellent, sometimes they were rude. One day I needed hairspray, and the gift shop didn't have any. The front desk directed me to the fitness center, and they didn't have any, nor were they willling/able to get into the storage room there because it was located in the men's sauna. The banquet staffing and set-up were also inconsistent, which bothered me considering how much we were spending for the conference!

Maybe Scottsdale has different standards of excellence than other hotels & resorts. As a former hotel employee, these inconsistencies really bothered me.

Loved the SunBurst

by TripAdvisor Member MJERSEY

The hotel lobby and pool area are beautiful. Went for a conference (not at Sunburst) and want to come back with my spouse. The pool areas are separated and the fire pits are great-romantic feel. The hallways smelled musty but the rooms were very nice but small. The beds and pillows are great!! Would definitely recommend this hotel!

Rest and Relax at the Sunburst

I just returned from Scottsdale, Arizona on April 30, 2005. Driving down Scottsdale Road we kept missing the hotel. Finally we turned into the Caleo to ask directions only to find out that the hotel changed names two days before we came down. The hotel did have my email address so I thought they should of notified me of the name change. The grounds are beautiful, especially the pool area. We really loved the fire pits. And it was nice that there was more than one. We had a ground floor room, courtyard view. It was nice, but too dark. There is not enough lighting. All lighting is low light. The bathroom has no place to put your clothes. The sink was outside of the bathroom. It was very shallow which allowed the water to go on the floor. Minor stuff.

Housekeeping was another story. We sometimes would come back to the room at 4:00 p.m. and the room was not made up yet. They didn't replenish the toiletries. We had to ask. The bath mat was one day, rubber, next day a big towel. We had a bottle of wine sent to use and they took the wine glasses before we finished the wine. The drinking glasses were not washed on another occasion.

The staff was friendly. I stayed there for a week but know my way around the area so I only asked one question at the front desk. The lobby is beautiful. The spa was two or three small rooms. I tried to get a manicure but was told I could get an appointment on Thursday. Two days before I went home.

I was paying $219 a night at the Sunburst. I just expected a little more from a resort, but I would go back to stay there.

Rocky crevase to climb/descendRocky crevase to climb/descend

Logo of the restaurantsLogo of the restaurants

Weird Norwegian customWeird Norwegian custom

With wife by a Scottsdale resort pool, ArizonaWith wife by a Scottsdale resort pool, Arizona

Comments